Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

23 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

parrot.jpg

Nice shot of a female King parrot.  We used to have a pair visit our garden regularly and the female was the tame one, she would sit on the outdoor furniture and take sunflower seeds out of our hands.  The male was a bit more shy and loitered in the back ground until we moved away then he came in for his share.  Have not seen them for a couple of years now, suspect because they are now getting better fed somewhere else.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Nice shot of a female King parrot.  We used to have a pair visit our garden regularly and the female was the tame one, she would sit on the outdoor furniture and take sunflower seeds out of our hands.  The male was a bit more shy and loitered in the back ground until we moved away then he came in for his share.  Have not seen them for a couple of years now, suspect because they are now getting better fed somewhere else.

Yeah, I love the birds, but they are eating my tomatoes in spite of bird netting & picking early to try & beat them.

It's got to the stage where it is hardly worth growing them unless I can either construct or buy a shade house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Obviously a spelling mistake which can be corrected, English is only my second language, and of the four languages I speak I am sure I make more spelling mistakes. So moderator, fix it please

Don't worry @Brauhaus Fritz I do that all the time plus the auto text is a PITA sometimes and can put a wrong or unintentional word in.

You can correct it yourself.  First copy the incorrect text to a word doc (or something similar) then delete your post (yes you can still delete it even after a very long time) then edit the WOK bit in word, then copy and paste it all back into a new post.  - Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2023 at 5:15 PM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

No brewing today, just some harvesting and processing. My coffee tree has it first crop after many years and moving house three times. I always had it in the ground, so every move I dug it out and replanted it in the new place. It’s not looking very healthy but gave me a bumper crop this year, actually the first time ever. Learning as I go to get ready to brew my first cup of coffee. Still more cherries to be harvested and processed. Once all done I will roast them all. It is as exiting as preparing and tasting the first homebrew.

IMG_8224.jpeg

IMG_8226.jpeg

IMG_8227.jpeg

IMG_8229.jpeg

I harvested 2kg of green beans. Had already a few cups of coffee, nothing special but not bad either. Roasted some more beans today and I will wait about 3 days before grinding and brewing them. Still have lot’s of beans to roast. Next time I will use a big frying pan, then the oven, then the airfryer………By the next harvest I hopefully worked out the best process. This lot was roasted in a wok A bit uneven. Bit like brewing beer, you’ll learn while doing it.

IMG_9993.thumb.jpeg.33e89aa09fc7c0053c0bd9f632f6e72a.jpeg

IMG_9998.thumb.jpeg.00ad06af84974320f45d031a225e0afd.jpeg

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Don't worry @Brauhaus Fritz I do that all the time plus the auto text is a PITA sometimes and can put a wrong or unintentional word in.

You can correct it yourself.  First copy the incorrect text to a word doc (or something similar) then delete your post (yes you can still delete it even after a very long time) then edit the WOK bit in word, then copy and paste it all back into a new post.  - Cheers

I feel like having a Souflaki now  🤣

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks like a good crop BF, coffee looks nice too.

First time harvest, I was very happy, got 2kg of green beans. Still have to improve the roasting method. But it’s not a bad cuppa. Lots of work but worth it. Makes me appreciate my morning coffees so much more.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

They look like Dragon Fruit.  @ben 10 did a Dragon Fruit Sour some time back.  Maybe that's an option for you BHF.

Nah, the fam will just eat them as they are, plus as I grew them in front of the house lot's of neighbors saw them and asked about them, so I am also giving some away. But thanks for the tip. The next two brews are already planed, firstly the Coopers Lager kit and then finally again an AG. I will be trying out something from their recipe section https://www.wildabouthops.nz/lager_pilsner_recipes.html, probably, as it's the only thing a friend of mine drinks, the Stella Artois. If it turns out nicely I am going to dive into the "Germans"  

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Nah, the fam will just eat them as they are, plus as I grew them in front of the house lot's of neighbors saw them and asked about them, so I am also giving some away. But thanks for the tip. The next two brews are already planed, firstly the Coopers Lager kit and then finally again an AG. I will be trying out something from their recipe section https://www.wildabouthops.nz/lager_pilsner_recipes.html, probably, as it's the only thing a friend of mine drinks, the Stella Artois. If it turns out nicely I am going to dive into the "Germans"  

That looks like a really informative link.  One to bookmark.

• Like 2

My tomatoes have been affected badly this year with white fly in spite of throwing everything at them, including warm water & detergent prays, pryrethium etc, there were so many I started to rip the plants out for fear of them transferring to the Chili's & other plants.

I have managed to rid of them, so no more growing tomatoes,  it is just not worth it as I am surrounded by Fruit & Veg shops & Supermarkets & they are cheap enough. 

I will concentrate on more herbs & other in season plants.

Here is a photo of the last of them.

20240306_131247.thumb.jpg.39233fe1beddf100164f49772a9fb795.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 5

On 3/6/2024 at 1:54 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

My tomatoes have been affected badly this year with white fly in spite of throwing everything at them, including warm water & detergent prays, pryrethium etc, there were so many I started to rip the plants out for fear of them transferring to the Chili's & other plants.

I have managed to rid of them, so no more growing tomatoes,  it is just not worth it as I am surrounded by Fruit & Veg shops & Supermarkets & they are cheap enough. 

I will concentrate on more herbs & other in season plants.

Here is a photo of the last of them.

20240306_131247.thumb.jpg.39233fe1beddf100164f49772a9fb795.jpg

Great stuff Phil, terrific harvest mate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

A few more Chili's from the garden,  heaps of new growth so I should be picking them for a while. 

Which one is hottest @Classic Brewing Co? You might be picking them until May if they are in a sunny sheltered spot.

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

Which one is hottest @Classic Brewing Co? You might be picking them until May if they are in a sunny sheltered spot.

I have 3 of the hottest chili's in the world Jenny, Carolina Reaper, Trinadad Moruga Scorpion, Ghost Pepper (bhut jolokia).

I also have 3-4 other varieties still considered hot but not as much as the others.

I have always grown them & sometimes you even get a second year out of some plants; I have also saved some seeds for re-planting.

I plan on building a small shade house to protect them because believe it or not chili's still get attacked by pests.

https://pepperscale.com/hottest-peppers/