Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

5 hours ago, Cult Of One said:

I think it could be a calcium deficiency. if you crush up egg shells fine and put that around the base it can help or as I do with tomatoes just mix a lt of milk with 1 lt water and pour on the soil. If that's not the problem then you are only out a dollar for the milk and the egg shells are waste otherwise. 

Thanks COO.  This was over a year ago and I remedied the problem with crushed egg shells. It worked well until the dog decided to do some gardening and destroyed the plants. FFS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No brewing today, just some harvesting and processing. My coffee tree has it first crop after many years and moving house three times. I always had it in the ground, so every move I dug it out and replanted it in the new place. It’s not looking very healthy but gave me a bumper crop this year, actually the first time ever. Learning as I go to get ready to brew my first cup of coffee. Still more cherries to be harvested and processed. Once all done I will roast them all. It is as exiting as preparing and tasting the first homebrew.

IMG_8224.jpeg

IMG_8226.jpeg

IMG_8227.jpeg

IMG_8229.jpeg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

I just planted a couple more tomato plants as I am trying to stagger them over the next few months, also a few more chilis - Carolina Reaper & Scorpion Cardi both extremely hot. 🥵

https://united-nurseries.com.au/product/chilli-trinidad-scorpion-cardi/ 

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-types/superhot-chili-peppers/carolina-reaper/

I will continue to plant a few more every 2-3 weeks as space is available.

Man, that Compost stinks.  😷

tomato.jpg

chili.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I just planted a couple more tomato plants as I am trying to stagger them over the next few months, also a few more chilis - Carolina Reaper & Scorpion Cardi both extremely hot. 🥵

https://united-nurseries.com.au/product/chilli-trinidad-scorpion-cardi/ 

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-types/superhot-chili-peppers/carolina-reaper/

I will continue to plant a few more every 2-3 weeks as space is available.

Man, that Compost stinks.  😷

tomato.jpg

chili.jpg

@Classic Brewing Co, if you haven’t grown or tried the “Carolina Reaper” before, my humble advice is from someone who loves chilli, be REALLY CAREFUL as they can do actual harm - really important to wash your hands after handling them.

Personally, I didn’t like them as they were too hot - I ended up using mine for insect control 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🔥❤️‍🔥☄️🥵🥵

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Triple B Brewing said:

@Classic Brewing Co, if you haven’t grown or tried the “Carolina Reaper” before, my humble advice is from someone who loves chilli, be REALLY CAREFUL as they can do actual harm - really important to wash your hands after handling them.

Personally, I didn’t like them as they were too hot - I ended up using mine for insect control 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🔥❤️‍🔥☄️🥵🥵

Mate I have been growing them for years, many varieties, I especially love the very hot ones & yes you have to be careful, but used properly they are great for all sorts of dishes. I was a Cook; I did my basic courses in the Army - AACC & continued to cook & work in several pubs & restaurants.

I make Chili sauces & I created a Chili-Nectarine Jam that is great for cheese plates & charcuterie.

HABENERO CHILLI JAM.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate I have been growing them for years, many varieties, I especially love the very hot ones & yes you have to be careful, but used properly they are great for all sorts of dishes. I was a Cook; I did my basic courses in the Army - AACC & continued to cook & work in several pubs & restaurants.

I make Chili sauces & I created a Chili-Nectarine Jam that is great for cheese plates & charcuterie.

HABENERO CHILLI JAM.pdf 84.05 kB · 8 downloads

Oh well fantastic @Classic Brewing Co your all over it then PHEW 😓!!

Just felt I needed to caution because the “Carolina Reaper” can be lethal - literally 🤯

Thanks so much for the recipe - Habenero's are also pretty dam hot, but with the nectarines, I can see the jam would be very nice 😋!

Cheers 🍺🍺  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Oh well fantastic @Classic Brewing Co your all over it then PHEW 😓!!

Just felt I needed to caution because the “Carolina Reaper” can be lethal - literally 🤯

Thanks so much for the recipe - Habenero's are also pretty dam hot, but with the nectarines, I can see the jam would be very nice 😋!

Cheers 🍺🍺  

Yeah, you can reduce the amount if chili but it's not as hot as you may think but Habanero seem to be the ideal choice for the recipe.

That are too many chili wimps out there. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, you can reduce the amount if chili but it's not as hot as you may think but Habanero seem to be the ideal choice for the recipe.

Yep, I reckon I might fall into that 'wimp' category in your eyes Phil (as I said, I can't do the Reaper - WHOHAA YAR YAR 🥵) - but I do like to "taste" the different flavours of the different chilli, so too hot can spoil it for me - and before ya know it, I then need beer and lots of it 🍺🍺🍺🍺 (Oh, hang on, that need is always there 😂🤣🤣).

I reckon I might try your Habanero and nectarine jam recipe though, coz it sounds just like the ducks nuts on lots of different things 😋

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I am a little bit of a chilli wimp. I have grown all sorts of chillies, Reapers, Bhuts,  Habs, Butch Ts and so on and unfortunately, there is video evidence of me actually eating pods of hotties. But I came to the conclusion that I only grew those for bragging rights and not for actual eating or cooking with them. I settled with Cayennes as my chilli of choice. They're hot enough for most applications, are tasty and are good performers. They also seem to be not affected by the dreaded Qld fruit fly, which has ruined many a chilli harvest but for some reason don't seem to like Cayennes. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, I am a little bit of a chilli wimp. I have grown all sorts of chillies, Reapers, Bhuts,  Habs, Butch Ts and so on and unfortunately, there is video evidence of me actually eating pods of hotties. But I came to the conclusion that I only grew those for bragging rights and not for actual eating or cooking with them. I settled with Cayennes as my chilli of choice. They're hot enough for most applications, are tasty and are good performers. They also seem to be not affected by the dreaded Qld fruit fly, which has ruined many a chilli harvest but for some reason don't seem to like Cayennes. 

Everyone in my family were scared of chili, my brother & his wife especially, they stayed here for a couple of nights recently & were terrified I was going to sneak some chili in the BBQ's etc. 

Just because you are growing the hottest chili in the world doesn't mean you have to burn your mouth out & risk serious damage to yourself. I use them all of the time, but I am aware of their potency.

Disposable gloves, regular handwashing & avoiding rubbing your eyes reduces pain & discomfort.

You are right some seem almost pest resistant yet others, even some of the hot ones are attached by insects.

I use snail bait, natural insecticides & fertilise regularly & usually have it under control.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading up one of the new chili plants I bought yesterday. I already have Carolina Reapers, Trinadad Scorpion & Scorpian Cardi so this will be an interesting mix.  🥵 😬

The ghost pepper (aka the Bhut Jolokia) is one of the hottest peppers in the world, topping over 1 million SHU (Scoville Heat Units).

It was awarded the distinction of the World's Hottest of All Spices by the Guinness World Records in 2006, topping the Red Savina Habanero, though was eventually toppled several times over. The current record holder for the hottest pepper in the world is the Carolina Reaper.

The word "bhut" means "ghost", given from the Bhutias people, possibly because the heat sneaks up on you like a ghost.

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-types/superhot-chili-peppers/bhut-jolokia-chili-peppers/

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 7:10 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I was just reading up one of the new chili plants I bought yesterday. I already have Carolina Reapers, Trinadad Scorpion & Scorpian Cardi so this will be an interesting mix.  🥵 😬

The ghost pepper (aka the Bhut Jolokia) is one of the hottest peppers in the world, topping over 1 million SHU (Scoville Heat Units).

It was awarded the distinction of the World's Hottest of All Spices by the Guinness World Records in 2006, topping the Red Savina Habanero, though was eventually toppled several times over. The current record holder for the hottest pepper in the world is the Carolina Reaper.

The word "bhut" means "ghost", given from the Bhutias people, possibly because the heat sneaks up on you like a ghost.

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-types/superhot-chili-peppers/bhut-jolokia-chili-peppers/

There have been rumours for years, that Ed Currie, the fella who bred the reaper, has grown several even hotter ones, one supposedly breaking through the 3 million SHU mark but nothing has ever been backed up in terms of proof, let alone seeds.

I find the Yaki Blue, aka purple Bhut Jolokia,  quite tasty, albeit brutally hot. Not quite as bad as the red but it still weighs in at something like 750,000SHU. To put it in perspective, the humble Jalapeño, which many people consider too hot to eat as is, weighs in at about <10,000 SHU on average. So one of those is the equivalent of stuffing 75 Jalapeños of similar size into your mouth in one hit. Enjoy 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

There have been rumours for years, that Ed Currie, the fella who bred the reaper, has grown several even hotter ones, one supposedly breaking through the 3 million SHU mark but nothing has ever been backed up in terms of proof, let alone seeds.

I find the Yaki Blue, aka purple Bhut Jolokia,  quite tasty, albeit brutally hot. Not quite as bad as the red but it still weighs in at something like 750,000SHU. To put it in perspective, the humble Jalapeño, which many people consider too hot to eat as is, weighs in at about <10,000 SHU on average. So one of those is the equivalent of stuffing 75 Jalapeños of similar size into your mouth in one hit. Enjoy 🙂 

I watched a video with Ed Currie being presented with the Guiness Boof of Records for the Hottest Chili in the world 2023.

It is a new strain called Chili X. It is hotter than the Carolina Reaper.

Guinness Book of World Records. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I watched a video with Ed Currie being presented with the Guiness Boof of Records for the Hottest Chili in the world 2023.

It is a new strain called Chili X. It is hotter than the Carolina Reaper.

Guinness Book of World Records. 

Ok, so it is finally being seen in the wild. But no seeds on the horizon. You can buy sauces at PuckerButt but no seeds. I have the sneaking suspicion that the breed is fairly unstable and not suitable for selling at this point. I probably wouldn't grow it anyway because a reaper is brutal enough. Anything more is probably rather bad for you 🙂 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Ok, so it is finally being seen in the wild. But no seeds on the horizon. You can buy sauces at PuckerButt but no seeds. I have the sneaking suspicion that the breed is fairly unstable and not suitable for selling at this point. I probably wouldn't grow it anyway because a reaper is brutal enough. Anything more is probably rather bad for you 🙂 

Yeah, I agree any hotter than the top 5 is enough, I am currently growing 3 of the hottest chilis in the world, not Pepper X but these are enough to set fire to most dishes. I will also be making some hot sauces & my Chili/Nectarine Jam - used for cheese plates etc.

• Like 1