Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

Traded some Zooks for some White Peaches with a mate whose tree is going well this year... my Zooks a bit bigger size pick this time as has been raining and wet and been slack and not gone out to harvest them small but friends were happy with the size so that was good and the fact that they had been picked an hour earlier before arriving in their kitch : )

image.thumb.png.34bf671642716e42bd1d452b0909b505.png

• Like 6

image.thumb.png.1d46b634b391a98ac6ef305235804941.png

Given c. 20 kg of Egg Roma Tomatoes that needed picking to my White Peaches Mate whose Nan can make nice Chutney w both red n green tomatoes 🙂 picking took forever.  Hoping for some nice Chutney in return ; )

Got some for meself and there are more on the way...

image.thumb.png.3b13a7b781dd02ed4a11981afa56f201.png

• Like 7

Yesterday the missus wanted a stir fry dinner with snow peas. Short on time I ducked into the nearby Aldi and bought a packet for $4. I almost cried knowing we'll probably use less than half and the rest will be forgotten in the crisper and end up as waste....again. 😞 It was good motivation for me sow some more this morning. Suggested sowing time in Adelaide is late summer to early winter.
I still had over half a pack of seeds from last year that cost $2-$3 and the yields were excellent. I'm expecting better returns this year because I have a little more experience and will erect a better trellis for them to grow along.

IMG_20220303_113101.jpg

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

better returns this year because I have a little more experience and will erect a better trellis for them to grow along.

Go you  Good Thing @MUZZY Muzzy! 🙂

I had good results on the Snow Peas last year but I will hafta watch the snails if I go again this year as all the creepy crawly slippery things are rampant currently w all the wet weather : (

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Go you  Good Thing @MUZZY Muzzy! 🙂

I had good results on the Snow Peas last year but I will hafta watch the snails if I go again this year as all the creepy crawly slippery things are rampant currently w all the wet weather : (

Hi @Itinerant Peasant.
In dry, old Adelaide snails aren't a major problem but I get the occasional few. It's only the early months of my relocated vegie patch and it's fairly small (about 1.2m x 2.4m) but I think I've resisted a quite a few pests already by covering it with tree netting. I haven't noticed any moth/caterpillar damage yet which were a nuisance last year and it will take a clever and/or strong snail to get under it.  Earwigs are another thing altogether. Those little shites get into everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Hi @Itinerant Peasant.
In dry, old Adelaide snails aren't a major problem but I get the occasional few. It's only the early months of my relocated vegie patch and it's fairly small (about 1.2m x 2.4m) but I think I've resisted a quite a few pests already by covering it with tree netting. I haven't noticed any moth/caterpillar damage yet which were a nuisance last year and it will take a clever and/or strong snail to get under it.  Earwigs are another thing altogether. Those little shites get into everything.

I love Snow Peas, once I had a vine & I couldn't keep up with them but I suppose you know you can blanch & freeze them.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I love Snow Peas, once I had a vine & I couldn't keep up with them but I suppose you know you can blanch & freeze them.

Funny you should mention that. It was just yesterday I watched a Youtube video by Mark of Self Sufficient Me fame and he said the same thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, MUZZY said:

Yesterday the missus wanted a stir fry dinner with snow peas. Short on time I ducked into the nearby Aldi and bought a packet for $4. I almost cried knowing we'll probably use less than half and the rest will be forgotten in the crisper and end up as waste....again. 😞 It was good motivation for me sow some more this morning. Suggested sowing time in Adelaide is late summer to early winter.
I still had over half a pack of seeds from last year that cost $2-$3 and the yields were excellent. I'm expecting better returns this year because I have a little more experience and will erect a better trellis for them to grow along.

IMG_20220303_113101.jpg

Well done Muzzy - creative. My missus doesn't waste a thing. She takes the seeds from any vegetable we buy from the local green grocer and harvests them in our backyard....

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 2:40 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

image.thumb.png.1d46b634b391a98ac6ef305235804941.png

Given c. 20 kg of Egg Roma Tomatoes that needed picking to my White Peaches Mate whose Nan can make nice Chutney w both red n green tomatoes 🙂 picking took forever.  Hoping for some nice Chutney in return ; )

Got some for meself and there are more on the way...

image.thumb.png.3b13a7b781dd02ed4a11981afa56f201.png

Good lookin' Roma's IP, they'd smell and taste beautiful I bet. Nothing beats home grown tomaties. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Well done Muzzy - creative. My missus doesn't waste a thing. She takes the seeds from any vegetable we buy from the local green grocer and harvests them in our backyard....

Your wife sounds like a real gem, Mick. Resourceful and a great cook to boot. Next thing we know you'll probably tell us she washes your bottles for you. 😄 

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Good lookin' Roma's IP, they'd smell and taste beautiful I bet. Nothing beats home grown tomaties. 

Cheers Mick @Mickep Mate yeah they are good smelling and tasting fellas... but I was getting smashed by critters of all sorts so picked a swag and gave most away... am hoping I might get a jar of Chutney in return... me mate offered to pay but he helps me with a whole heap of things (as well as nice white Peaches) so they did go to a good home/kitchen ; )

I made a nice spicy Tomato Jam with 3kilos and a nice mix of spices and chillies which will do me for a while : )

I culled 5 plants but there are about 3 still on the go so hopefully will get a few more still if the far ken bugs and grubs and mice etc don't get them all in this ongoing wet weather... 

• Like 3

Not the ideal climate for Lady Finger bananas in Adelaide but a friend has let me cut away some of her palms to see if I can get something going at my place. Her's are bearing fruit so I'm hopeful I can get fruit eventually. Even if they don't I wanted to cover that exposed RSJ in the photo so nobody injures themselves.

IMG_20220310_184242.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Not the ideal climate for Lady Finger bananas in Adelaide but a friend has let me cut away some of her palms to see if I can get something going at my place. Her's are bearing fruit so I'm hopeful I can get fruit eventually. Even if they don't I wanted to cover that exposed RSJ in the photo so nobody injures themselves.

Good luck with that Muzzy, my neighbour at Magill back in the 80's had them at the back of his large tomato patch, we used to love whacking them on the BBQ, skins on & also Banana Fritters were nice.

• Like 4

Zookas are on the way out as the days cool off and lots of wet wet wet and drizzly weather enhances the evil Powdery setting in...

But got a handful still... easier to pick when most of the older big leaves have collapsed : \

Note the finy prickly protective hairs on them... that you will never see in the supermarket...  

image.thumb.png.0310ec19a347b5e73d5532dfa60a5855.png

And still getting some Tommies that are surviving the vast array of BEASTs attacking them : |

Ah the joys of life on the land !?! 😆

image.thumb.png.2d5cf2ec5962c9b30c32a39ce36f064a.png 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Zookas are on the way out as the days cool off and lots of wet wet wet and drizzly weather enhances the evil Powdery setting in...

But got a handful still... easier to pick when most of the older big leaves have collapsed : \

Note the finy prickly protective hairs on them... that you will never see in the supermarket...  

Good haul IP there's a lot more flavour there than you will get in any supermarket. Sadly there ain't a lot of sunny open spaces down here apart from the beach, my herbs to well but it is not worth trying to grow veges. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So my capsicum plant is producing numerous but quite small fruit. I've watered it almost daily and I've fertilised again to hopefully get some size going.

One thing that has me puzzled are these brown patches on many of them. Would this just be sunburn?

IMG20220402084111.jpg

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Thanks, Philthy Phil. That's great information.
Seems like I need to add calcium and not be so generous with water and fertiliser.

I was getting the same on tomatoes & capsicums at my old place & I thought it was too much water, I actually took a capsicum to Bunnings, they all have a resident horticulturist & that is what she said.  Cheers.

• Like 3

@MUZZY 
I haven't had any end rot since I started crushing my egg shells and tossing them around the garden. Egg shells are 94% calcium carbonate.  The finer you can crush them the better so a coffee grinder or blender is a good option although I mainly just use a pestle in an ice cream container. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1