Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

2 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

Lately I have noticed some real dodgy products in the big green shed which fail quickly.  Very poor quality that would have cost them next to nothing then sold at a prices that were meant for quality stuff.  Most people don't take the failed item back because they can't be bothered and accept loss. Still people buy them and the big green shed are happy to supply. 

With the rat trap this dangerous fault should have been picked up by their quality/safety assurance section and never been purchased for resale by the shed.

I have noticed that over the last couple of years, even basic stuff like garden hoses, fittings etc, unless you pay the earth for a big brand name you get crap. I bought a smallish 10m hose purely for the front instead of dragging the big one from the back & the damn thing is so flimsy it takes no pressure - only cost $10 but the point is you would expect in this day & age given the technology available you would get something half decent.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

Lately I have noticed some real dodgy products in the big green shed which fail quickly.  Very poor quality that would have cost them next to nothing then sold at a prices that were meant for quality stuff.  Most people don't take the failed item back because they can't be bothered and accept loss. 

Precisely what happened to me last week. Was looking for a non-kinking hose. Online search of TBGS website said a particular Nylex $50 hose was not available near me. So I travelled about 20km to a store that had the hose in stock. Turns out they didn't. FFS. So I purchased this cheap curly hose for $15 instead. It came included with a gun. The gun broke on first use. I couldn't be bothered taking it back. I just replaced the gun with one I already had. 😞 

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, MUZZY said:

cheap curly hose for $15 instead. It came included with a gun. The gun broke on first use.

Sad news Muzzy indeed @MUZZY

I sorta did the opposite - bought some expensive hose as was sooooooo pissssssed off w old shittttter that kinked bad and also had become photodegraded over the drought years of sun and in cold conditions then was brittle and breaking. 

So bought the flash hose - black w red striping - that I think now my local red belly black snakes are in love with...

and then as the hose cost so much I got the cheap-arrrse gun from the same big green shed... anyway... when the cheap-arrrse gun breaks I take it back in and request a replacement... I would like to think this will continue to be a reasonable plan until they don't make them anymore ; )

That shop is in the town where I purchase my provisions so is not any further effort to get to... 

When the gun is not broken it works a treat esp for jet cleaning of brewing vessels and shower setting for washing the dogger... and for like $3-4 and "green-shed-warranty" haha so far it seems not a bad buy : )

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I sorta did the opposite - bought some expensive hose as was sooooooo pissssssed off w old shittttter that kinked bad and also had become photodegraded over the drought years of sun and in cold conditions then was brittle and breaking. 

I had a quality Nylex one for about 15-20 years but after too much time in the sun it had run it's race and it was time to replace it. I wanted a quality hose again but got sent on a wild goose chase when their website wrongly told me they had stock when they didn't. I got the cheapy as a temporary fix. At $15 I don't expect it will last long. 

So bought the flash hose - black w red striping - that I think now my local red belly black snakes are in love with...

Hee hee!

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

and then as the hose cost so much I got the cheap-arrrse gun from the same big green shed... anyway... when the cheap-arrrse gun breaks I take it back in and request a replacement... I would like to think this will continue to be a reasonable plan until they don't make them anymore ; )

That shop is in the town where I purchase my provisions so is not any further effort to get to... 

When the gun is not broken it works a treat esp for jet cleaning of brewing vessels and shower setting for washing the dogger... and for like $3-4 and "green-shed-warranty" haha so far it seems not a bad buy : )

Crappy hoses & guns are on my most hated list, nothing worse you drag a mile long hose from the back to the front, turn it on &  the $@/?*# thing is kinked right at the other end or you power up the volume & the gun shoots of & water goes everywhere but on the garden !! 🥵

• Like 4

Hey all you good cooks and chefs out there...  any suggestions of how to eat far ken spinach/silver beet type veg including the ol' Redleg - would be most appreciated.  I know it is very good for you as Popeye would attest to re health...  but cannot get fired up by the taste much : (

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I know it is very good for you as Popeye would attest to re health...  but cannot get fired up by the taste much : (

My idea is to use most of the spinach to fatten up the local rabbits, then harvest and eat the rabbits.  Could also do the same technique re the snails if you are into escargot, might need lots of home grown garlic but.  ha ha.😅

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Hey all you good cooks and chefs out there...  any suggestions of how to eat far ken spinach/silver beet type veg including the ol' Redleg - would be most appreciated.  I know it is very good for you as Popeye would attest to re health...  but cannot get fired up by the taste much : (

Make this every year mate when I get a glut of silverbeet. Very nice and a piece of p*ss to make even for someone who rarely uses an oven.

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/silverbeet-pie/00a8d5cd-7032-4b53-92ed-14f8e8049a46

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Make this every year mate when I get a glut of silverbeet. Very nice and a piece of p*ss to make even for someone who rarely uses an oven.

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/silverbeet-pie/00a8d5cd-7032-4b53-92ed-14f8e8049a46

Make Pies. Frittatas & everything you can think of you use it up mate it is healthy. 

• Like 2

My vegie patch had been idle for some months now because I realised it needed to be relocated.

In the background of the photo of the handsome chap about to indulge in an amber ale is a Valencia orange tree, a.k.a. Troy Tree, a tribute to my late cousin, Troy. I foolishly planted Troy Tree in a spot where it would eventually shadow the vegie patch. So now vegie patch has been moved to a full sun position and for the interim I planted a capsicum plant and dropped in some silverbeet seeds today. I still have room for plenty more but I'll wait closer to autumn to fill the rest. Probably snow peas and leeks, I reckon.

It's 32C in sunny Adelaide today so the pictured handsome devil deserves that beer. Cheers all. 🍻

IMG_20220126_152753.jpg

IMG_20220126_151939.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

My vegie patch had been idle for some months now because I realised it needed to be relocated.

In the background of the photo of the handsome chap about to indulge in an amber ale is a Valencia orange tree, a.k.a. Troy Tree, a tribute to my late cousin, Troy. I foolishly planted Troy Tree in a spot where it would eventually shadow the vegie patch. So now vegie patch has been moved to a full sun position and for the interim I planted a capsicum plant and dropped in some silverbeet seeds today. I still have room for plenty more but I'll wait closer to autumn to fill the rest. Probably snow peas and leeks, I reckon.

It's 32C in sunny Adelaide today so the pictured handsome devil deserves that beer. Cheers all. 🍻

Looks good Muzzy,  a nice organised tidy garden, looks like you get plenty of sunshine so things will flourish & a well deserved beer.

If you don't mind me saying I think your Barber has taken too much off, maybe next visit he/she could adjust to retain your handsome profile. 😀

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good Muzzy,  a nice organised tidy garden, looks like you get plenty of sunshine so things will flourish & a well deserved beer.

If you don't mind me saying I think your Barber has taken too much off, maybe next visit he/she could adjust to retain your handsome profile. 😀

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thanks Phil. Yes, the back of our house faces north, so the sun rises in front of where I'm facing in the photo and sets over the green fence in the background. Not sure if you can make out the bare patch behind Troy Tree but that's where I had the vegies previously.
I can't blame the barber, I'm a DIYer in more ways than one. Haven't you heard? Skin is IN this year! 😄

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Thanks Phil. Yes, the back of our house faces north, so the sun rises in front of where I'm facing in the photo and sets over the green fence in the background. Not sure if you can make out the bare patch behind Troy Tree but that's where I had the vegies previously.
I can't blame the barber, I'm a DIYer in more ways than one. Haven't you heard? Skin is IN this year! 😄

Harmless Fun, I still have hair & with a bit of skillful work with a comb it resembles what could be called normal albeit grey as I have been called the Silver Fox, The Colonel, Omar & a whole lot worse !! Being 6'2" also helps, it's only when you sit down people notice you are follically challenged. 🤣 But no comb overs or rugs, just go with the flow, most of my mates are bald or as you put it like to be trendy & show skin, Hammo the Landscaper mate looks like a tortoise out of his shell on the rare times he takes his hat off !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Re Handsome Devil... You need to check with Spec-Savers...

Great job on the garden

If I had feelings they'd be hurt right now. Thank f**k I don't care about anyone's opinion other than my own. 😄 
Although I'll consider your opinion on the garden as valid, David. Hahahaaa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Being 6'2" also helps, it's only when you sit down people notice you are follically challenged.

I wouldn't have picked you for 6'2", Phil. I'm remembering a photo of you with a couple of lasses at the races and I was certain they were taller than you. Amazons perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I wouldn't have picked you for 6'2", Phil. I'm remembering a photo of you with a couple of lasses at the races and I was certain they were taller than you. Amazons perhaps?

No Muzzy, it was the person who took the photo who would have made it look like that, I have been that height for a very long time 🤔 possibly due to being born at a very young age. 🤣 The girls were tall as very ugly 🤣 but I am taller.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Haha 2

I’ve been a bit slack on the veggie patch this year. Usually I grow enough tomatoes to feed an Italian village but had a setback with late frosts this year. 
Cucumbers are traveling well though. I seem to pick 3-4 every day…looks like I might have to make some pickles….

D0B1CE2A-D8D6-41CB-9B52-5E9E35D4EA6C.thumb.jpeg.96f378abd21fe371698ceb5301e5a401.jpeg

• Like 4

On 1/24/2022 at 7:31 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

I know what you mean IP.  I grow silverbeet as well, though not the one with the fancy red stalks. Always end up with sh!tloads!  
Heath wise it’s best to blanche it in hot water, rather than steam. (that’s what I’ve read anyway). Then I put it in a pan (if I want to jazz up the flavour) with some olive oil, garlic, lemon and sometimes anchovies and chili 🌶! Sauté in the pan for a little bit. 
Otherwise if you like curries you can use it in a lamb/beef saag. Just use it in place of spinach. Works well 👍…I love cooking curries. 
It’s a hard sell to the kids though (the silverbeet, not the curries)!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

I know what you mean IP.  I grow silverbeet as well, though not the one with the fancy red stalks. Always end up with sh!tloads!  
Heath wise it’s best to blanche it in hot water, rather than steam. (that’s what I’ve read anyway). Then I put it in a pan (if I want to jazz up the flavour) with some olive oil, garlic, lemon and sometimes anchovies and chili 🌶! Sauté in the pan for a little bit. 
Otherwise if you like curries you can use it in a lamb/beef saag. Just use it in place of spinach. Works well 👍…I love cooking curries. 
It’s a hard sell to the kids though (the silverbeet, not the curries)!

Try this for a starter, it would also freeze well - another way of using it up.

Creamy Silverbeet and Potato Soup

Creamy Silverbeet and Potato Soup
yield: Serves 4 as Starter and 2 as Main PREP TIME: 5 minutes COOK TIME: 30 minutes TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
Vegan and gluten-free super creamy and simple nourishing silverbeet and potato soup that is perfect for those cooler days.
Ingredients
¼ cup / 50ml olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 medium potatoes, cut into small cubes
1 bunch of silverbeet, thinly chopped (around 6 large stems)
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
⅓ cup / 50g raw cashews
¼ cup / 18g nutritional yeast
Instructions
In a large pot on medium heat, place all ingredients but the cashews and nutritional yeast and place the lid on fully. Let the steam wilt the silverbeet down, stirring occasionally.
After a couple of minutes, pour boiling water into the pot. Enough to just cover the produce, this should be around 3 to 4 cups (750ml / 1 litre).
Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. It will be ready once the potato is cooked. Poke a fork or knife through it and it should go through easily. It should take about 20 minutes.
While that cooks, pour some of the boiled water over the cashews for them to soften before you add them to the blender.
Once the veggies have cooked, add all ingredients carefully to a blender and add the cashews (drain the water first from soaking them) and the nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth.
Serve with some additional cracked pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and some parsley. (Optional)

Also this is nice.

Spinach Quiche.pdf

• Like 2