Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

19 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have never heard of that, wonder what it tastes like ??

I don't know what it tastes like.  I am not even sure I want to suspend a leaky marrow from the roof of the shed for six months in m'lady's discarded panty hose to find out.  Those that have tried it say it gets better with age.    

I just thought the principles were interesting.  Sugar + Yeast + Carbohydrate of choice + Time = Hooch.  The marrow is mainly water.  I'd imagine you could do the same with watermelon.

• Like 1

BTW, the reason I have a marrow glut is that they planted themselves and are producing prolifically.  The weird thing is that I had to move from Melbourne last year 100k's down the coast and I certainly haven't bought any marrow in the meantime.  In fact I doubt I have bought any zucchini or squash in that time either but I have bought butternut pumpkin.  The marrow has certainly grown out of the compost but it must have grown from the seeds of the butternut and reverted to marrow (same family). 

This happened once before when I bought what was labelled butternut pumpkin seeds and they grew out as big yellow marrow.  At the time I suspected they had cross pollinated with some spaghetti squash I had growing but now  I am wondering if butternut seeds are commercially hybridized and like most hybrids they don't grow true to type when you replant the seeds. 

I am not complaining though.  The volunteer marrows are juicy and sweet and dead easy to grow - and I have some heirloom butternut seed that has grown some robust seedlings so I will have the best of both.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Zukes coming on nicely now for those that survived the snail onslaught... nicest picked small and eaten fresh 🥳

Beauty, nice crop, I like them halved lengthwise, add olive oil, cracked pepper, sea salt & grill on the BBQ.

Also steamed, baked, deep fried in batter, raw, julienne strips in a stir fry, added to salads in fact any way but loose. 👍 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I just planted some Chili's

1. Carolina Reaper

2. Trinidad Scorpion

3. Jalapeno

I already had a tub with Ghost Pepper (Bhut Jolokia), Italian Parsley & now a few tomatoes & Basil etc.

So soon some hot dishes with the super-hot Chili's 🌶️  also some spicy Beef Jerky.

Cheers

Chili 1.jpg

Chili 2.jpg

Chili 3jpg.jpg

Chili 4.jpg

Put in some Thai bird's eye chilli if you want some good hot stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Yes @Itinerant Peasant they look scrumptious. I also prefer them small, it seems that in retail now, all they sell are huge zukes that have little taste compared to their smaller brothers and sisters.

Yep agreed, the smaller the better, same as Cucumbers & a few other Herbaceous plants.

By the way @kmar92 your avatar seems to have taken on a new look from your previous simian appearance, almost Royal looking 🤔 & get a shave. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Big dirty rat has got stuck into my tomatoes. Seen it this morning when my dog chased it. Time to set the trap. 

Bugger don't you hate that, I don't have a dog & try not to use chemical/pesticides but when it comes to those critters you have to pull the big guns out. I have Ratsack bait stations set but I'm afraid it is necessary when you are trying to grow produce, I have even had them eat Chili's off the bush !! 

Sorta takes the shine of fresh grown veg don't it 🔫

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Bugger don't you hate that, I don't have a dog & try not to use chemical/pesticides but when it comes to those critters you have to pull the big guns out. I have Ratsack bait stations set but I'm afraid it is necessary when you are trying to grow produce, I have even had them eat Chili's off the bush !! 

Sorta takes the shine of fresh grown veg don't it 🔫

I am very reluctant to use rat sack etc.  For many years we had a resident Tawny Frog-mouth Owl that used to sit on one of my back gate posts nearly every night and it kept the rat population down.  Have not seen our Mo-poke friend in a few years, hopefully he/she died happily of old age and not from a rat sack soaked corpse of a rat. 

One year, the night before I was going to harvest our big plot of beautiful sweet corn that I had been nurturing all through spring, the bloody rats got stuck into them.  Lost about 1/3 of the crop.  I reckon the rodents set their i-rat phone alarms on to just before the crop is ready to pick.  Same with home grown tomatoes unfortunately.

Yes traps are much better in my opinion, just messy to clean-up next day.

Also BEWARE those rat traps sold at Bunnings have piss weak staples in them, when you go to set them the staple pulls out from the wood where the trigger lever bit is supposed to hold and the staple will fly out and possibly take one of your eyes out.  Be Warned. I nearly lost one of my eyes, got me square in the forehead.  Mine now have small metal saddles screwed into them instead of the dodgy staple arrangement.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I am very reluctant to use rat sack etc.  For many years we had a resident Tawny Frog-mouth Owl that used to sit on one of my back gate posts nearly every night and it kept the rat population down.  Have not seen our Mo-poke friend in a few years, hopefully he/she died happily of old age and not from a rat sack soaked corpse of a rat. 

One year, the night before I was going to harvest our big plot of beautiful sweet corn that I had been nurturing all through spring, the bloody rats got stuck into them.  Lost about 1/3 of the crop.  I reckon the rodents set their i-rat phone alarms on to just before the crop is ready to pick.  Same with home grown tomatoes unfortunately.

Yes traps are much better in my opinion, just messy to clean-up next day.

Also BEWARE those rat traps sold at Bunnings have piss weak staples in them, when you go to set them the staple pulls out from the wood where the trigger lever bit is supposed to hold and the staple will fly out and possibly take one of your eyes out.  Be Warned. I nearly lost one of my eyes, got me square in the forehead.  Mine now have small metal saddles screwed into them instead of the dodgy staple arrangement.

Yeah look I understand what you are saying, I don't like disturbing the environment or upsetting our Backyard Buddies, I have a big bird population down here including Ducks that wander up from the River & Seagulls as well. They all like nicking  a bit of bread & drink from the bird baths/containers, sometimes I put out seed as there are many varieties of birds visiting my front & backyard.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

Bunnings offer a replacement?

Tully Mitre 10 would have, time to moooove

A replacement eye?  I don't think they stock those in my colour.

Yes as would my friends in all the Cairns Hardware outlets but its not the point.  I am trying to get a re-call done on this product as that staple, into a bit of softwood just does not cut it given the forces it is subjected to.  Poor design and a product hazard and they should not be on our shelves here in Australia.  The same ones are sold under different brand names by other hardware stores but in the end they are all from the one tin shed in China albeit with a different stamp.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I am trying to get a re-call done on this product as that staple, into a bit of softwood just does not cut it given the forces it is subjected to.  Poor design and a product hazard and they should not be on our shelves here in Australia. 

Good stuff @iBooz2 Boozer mate luvyerwork and thanks for doing this - great stuff!

Cheers

IP

• Like 1

21 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Lately I have noticed some real dodgy products in the big green shed which fail quickly.  Very poor quality that would have cost them next to nothing then sold at a prices that were meant for quality stuff.  Most people don't take the failed item back because they can't be bothered and accept loss. Still people buy them and the big green shed are happy to supply. 

With the rat trap this dangerous fault should have been picked up by their quality/safety assurance section and never been purchased for resale by the shed.

• Like 3