Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

10 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I haven't been gardening long but I've managed to genetically modify baby beets into "embryo beets". There was plenty of foliage to go with them which can be used like spinach, I'm told, so not a complete waste of effort.

IMG20210502100853.jpg

Well done the Muzzer,  when I buy a bunch with leaves intact I found the best way was to scrub them clean & steam rather than boil them as all of the nutrients are lost in the water.

Good mixed with steamed sliver beet as a side veg or make a dressing of Olive Oil/Lemon Juice & use with salads.

Anyway they taste nice & are good for you. 💪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Well done the Muzzer,  when I buy a bunch with leaves intact I found the best way was to scrub them clean & steam rather than boil them as all of the nutrients are lost in the water.

Good mixed with steamed sliver beet as a side veg or make a dressing of Olive Oil/Lemon Juice & use with salads.

Anyway they taste nice & are good for you. 💪

I sauteed the leaves and stems in butter, garlic and a little salt. Heaps of juice left in the pot so I'm now boiling the bulbs in the juice. Foliage tastes quite similar to silverbeet.

• Like 2

Everything has picked up! A few weeks in the ground and the garden is going well. 

Lettuces and leafy stuff are going well. Herbs are a bit slow, but to be expected. Onions and such going well too. 

Herbs in first, lettuces and such in 2nd, bulb veggies in rear one.

Tiny weeds are my enemy at the moment. Need to mulch a bit thicker

@MUZZY, your stuff looks amazing!

PXL_20210509_031024609.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RepSpec said:

Everything has picked up! A few weeks in the ground and the garden is going well. 

Lettuces and leafy stuff are going well. Herbs are a bit slow, but to be expected. Onions and such going well too. 

Herbs in first, lettuces and such in 2nd, bulb veggies in rear one.

Tiny weeds are my enemy at the moment. Need to mulch a bit thicker

@MUZZY, your stuff looks amazing!

PXL_20210509_031024609.jpg

I love these garden beds. Very pro looking. Decent height too so weeding would be a bit easier on the hammer n' tack than my low profile beds.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, yeah they could be 1 sleeper taller, but that's a lot more in $$$.

I'm happy how it's all going. Just deciding what to do with the rest of the yard...but I think the wife has plans for a cubby house for our young bloke. So bye bye more grass...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RepSpec said:

Thanks mate, yeah they could be 1 sleeper taller, but that's a lot more in $$$.

I'm happy how it's all going. Just deciding what to do with the rest of the yard...but I think the wife has plans for a cubby house for our young bloke. So bye bye more grass...

I'm looking to expand my vege garden, put in a rainwater tank and decrease the grassed area. My kids are adults now so the grass is now just the dog's toilet and not a footy oval or cricket pitch. 😄 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I'm looking to expand my vege garden, put in a rainwater tank and decrease the grassed area. My kids are adults now so the grass is now just the dog's toilet and not a footy oval or cricket pitch. 😄 

Hey @MUZZY I can see it all, Rainwater Tank with Passion Fruit vine growing all around it, raised garden beds everywhere, anyway your territory should be excellent for veg growing. 🥕

Cheers.

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey @MUZZY I can see it all, Rainwater Tank with Passion Fruit vine growing all around it, raised garden beds everywhere, anyway your territory should be excellent for veg growing. 🥕

Cheers.

You could be psychic, Phil. My daughter has asked about growing passionfruit. I'm not sure we'd eat that much of them though. My house is actually built on former market garden land. Been here 20+ years and still get spinach popping up in the yard occasionally.

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

You could be psychic, Phil. My daughter has asked about growing passionfruit. I'm not sure we'd eat that much of them though. My house is actually built on former market garden land. Been here 20+ years and still get spinach popping up in the yard occasionally.

They are putting honey, chocolate, chilli & everything else in their brews, Muzzy, so here's your chance - Muzzy's Passion Ale !!

I used to live at Hectorville years ago so I know what you mean about the soil, the tomatoes & leafy veg we used to grow were amazing. Couldn't do anything wrong, even potatoes, cabbage etc ...

Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely Cherry Red Cherub 'Radi'... and some Coriander and Chives... seems like Coriander is a bit of a yes please or no phaaarque orf type herbage ; )  I love good fresh stuff... is green gold ; )

image.thumb.png.96cfdb9d4ab7a58afda40356b754a5fe.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Yes Sir Graubster one of my favorite accompaniments, just brings the flavour out in lots of dishes.  Nice Radishes too.

Yep, I love Coriander because I do a lot of Asian cooking/styles, wonton soups etc. but my wife hates it.  Same with chili, I love it and she hates it.  Must admit I do sneak some chili in here and there and she does not seem to mind, just lets me know she is on to me...  Too much and she tips the lot in the bin so I tend to have to cook two separate meals.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yep, I love Coriander because I do a lot of Asian cooking/styles, wonton soups etc. but my wife hates it.  Same with chili, I love it and she hates it.  Must admit I do sneak some chili in here and there and she does not seem to mind, just lets me know she is on to me...  Too much and she tips the lot in the bin so I tend to have to cook two separate meals.

Cheers - AL

Agreed, Chinese, Thai, Indian doesn't matter, they all need it, I have tries growing it & found it very temperamental  as it seems to need a controlled temp, however a bunch from Coles doesn't last very long in my kitchen. I am a chilli freak also.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I have tried growing it & found it very temperamental  

Agreed @CLASSIC Phil - for some reason or other I have managed to have got the Cori going now and it seems happy.... and hopefully will not fall over shortly!   ; )

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Agreed @CLASSIC Phil - for some reason or other I have managed to have got the Cori going now and it seems happy.... and hopefully will not fall over shortly!   ; )

I had a small greenhouse a few years ago & that was great for maintaining a fairly consistent temperature, the Coriander & other goodies loved it as in the summer all you had to do was dampen it & they thrived in the humidity also kept out the crawlies.

• Like 1

Holy hell my rocket has taken off 😁.

All but 1 of my radishes are out of the ground already...they have been pickled.

Was lucky enough to get given some Swordfish by a customer (I'm an outboard mechanic) who caught one on the weekend.

So that's a rocket, pear and Parmesan salad. 

How good is home grown stuff!

PXL_20210526_075045866.jpg

PXL_20210526_085602968.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RepSpec said:

All but 1 of my radishes are out of the ground already...they have been pickled.

Was lucky enough to get given some Swordfish by a customer (I'm an outboard mechanic) who caught one on the weekend.

So that's a rocket, pear and Parmesan salad. 

How good is home grown stuff!

Wow....  Yummm.... and fresh Swordy as well.... doesn't get much better than that @RepSpecRepper!?!

Wow!?!   Beautiful stuff mate!!

Had a few visitors last night out from the City... made some festive chilli burgers w freshly picked Garden Lettuce and Coriander nicely complementing bought bits and pieces on the bun : )

Mmm and my last remaining kegs copped a severe hammering as well.... 😬

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

What am I growing? Or what am I killing is more like it.

I planted this Meyer lemon tree a few months ago, early autumn. I mulched, watered it well during it's early stages and fertilised (chook poo based) IMG20210726133521.thumb.jpg.0ce08f48da5594a409fe9263f53696b0.jpgbut it's given me no signs of hope. In fact I don't think it's grown at all and the leaves have yellowed a bit. I don't think I watered it too much and I haven't watered it myself in ages due to consistent rain here.

Anyone got clues on what I'm doing wrong?

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

I planted this Meyer lemon tree a few months ago, early autumn. I mulched, watered it well during it's early stages and fertilised (chook poo based) IMG20210726133521.thumb.jpg.0ce08f48da5594a409fe9263f53696b0.jpgbut it's given me no signs of hope. In fact I don't think it's grown at all and the leaves have yellowed a bit. I don't think I watered it too much and I haven't watered it myself in ages due to consistent rain here.

Just ask Dr Phil

Meyer lemon trees (Citrus x Meyeri) typically have waxy, dark-green leaves all year round. While yellowing of the leaves is not always a problem, investigate the source of the yellowing if you suspect the leaves should not be yellowing at this time.
Time Frame
Meyer lemon trees are evergreen, but just before the spring flush of new leaves, Meyer lemons will drop old leaves. Since they're about to be discarded, the leaves have often lost their color and gone partially or completely yellow. Meyer lemons may also flush in fall, and you may notice yellow leaves then, too.
Soil Features
Zinc deficiency will cause yellow stripes to appear near the leaf veins, but will also be accompanied by stunted twigs and fruit drop. Lack of manganese in the soil will cause the area between the veins to turn yellow, and leaves will start to die and shed. Incorporating plenty of compost at planting and mulching with compost helps prevent these deficiencies.
Pest Problems
When citrus mites suck the juices from Meyer lemon leaves, the top of the leaves becomes white or yellow-speckled. Check the undersides for light webbing and pinprick-sized creatures moving about. Treat with insecticidal soap, especially if the Meyer is grown indoors. Mite populations can get out of control in sheltered indoor locations with no natural predators.

Edited by CLASSIC
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I planted this Meyer lemon tree a few months ago, early autumn. I mulched, watered it well during it's early stages and fertilised (chook poo based) but it's given me no signs of hope. In fact I don't think it's grown at all and the leaves have yellowed a bit. I don't think I watered it too much and I haven't watered it myself in ages due to consistent rain here.

As you know Muzz its been very damp and gloomy for months in the southern states.  Probably too much water and not enough sun / warmth, they gotta have good drainage and a slightly acid PH soil.  Ammonium Sulfate fertilizer will help drop the PH.  Don't give up on it, just don't water until it gets hotter as they like to dry out a bit between drinks (not like me).  Wait until next autumn before you think it is stuffed and by then you should see a big difference in it.  They like to be fed during the growing season only, so once you see some new green leaves happening in say October - November give it a feed of fertilizer that has trace elements.  Citrus fertilizer is best when they are young trees.  You probably need to break the chook poo down a far bit (soak in a big tub or bucket of water for weeks) before tossing it around and do this well away from the trunk to make those roots really reach out.  This will also help to drought proof the tree.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1