Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Nonna cut a clove in half for me. The aroma was sensational.

Didja have a chew big Muzzy?!  Fresh Garlic is a beautiful thing mate...

And no doubt mate Nonna will know best!

Edited by Graubart

5 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I agree, the artist formerly known as Bearded Burbler. Nonna cut a clove in half for me. The aroma was sensational.
She also told me to plant in April. which was really good to know because she'd know the local conditions.

Maybe he shaved his beard off ? Cmon Burbler, come clean 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2021 at 9:36 PM, RepSpec said:

Got the boxes in, stone/topping down, fire pit in place...just need to fill with soil.

The boxes aren't perfect, the edges are a bit squiffy, but I did it all! Pretty happy to say the least!

A mate is a wholesale flower grower and they use peat to grow their flowers in. He's getting me leftovers to partial fill the boxes, then will get some decent soil!

Had my school mates over the christen the firepit and a few beers! Was awesome!

PXL_20210107_085941305.jpg

PXL_20210107_085955394.jpg

PXL_20210107_085824948.jpg

PXL_20210108_111105925.MP.jpg

This is how we roll at Muzzville. Same, same but different. Hee, hee, hee. 😉

IMG20210119093746.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

This is how we roll at Muzzville. Same, same but different. Hee, hee, hee. 😉

IMG20210119093746.jpg

Muzz your fire pit has an orange tree growing out of it ha.ha.😂

Ya gunna need more soil for your garlic buddy.  Also why do I get the feeling I need to call past with my rattle driver and a bag of gal batten screws.😆  Will be touring the great state of SA in my caravan all March so tempted.😆

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I have heaps of herbs, but only got room for Cherry Tomatoes in pots, not going as good as they would be in the ground. This is my front courtyard & there is no lawn to mow, just pavers. 

What a great area you have there Phil.  Nice sanctuary to chill out with a couple of cold ones and your favorite darling (or someone else's favorite darling).  Am jealous.  I grow all my tomatoes in pots now days as the root knot nematodes attack the plants when in they are in the ground (well they do in my patch).  My potted tomato plants are 6 - 7 ft high and fruiting beautifully.  Also Cherry Tomatoes do well in a big hanging pot, let them cascade down like grapes.  Gotta feed all of them a level teaspoon of Thrive general purpose mixed into four litres of water twice a week and they go nuts. Cheers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@iBooz2 I know my efforts look slapdash because they are but the vegie patches will probably be temporary. Once that tree grows it will shade the vegies. When that happens I'll probably put a rainwater tank where the vegies are.

Hey Muzz,  was not a put down mate, but more of a pat on the back for having a go and a bit of fun.  Sorry its just the "gotta help" in my personality.  My son is a builder and I drive him nuts.  Every measurement for me is to the mm and when I build something its like I am making a fine piece of furniture.  For him a thick chippies pencil mark across the cut zone is ok but me I have to use a really sharp pencil to get that fine line for the accurate cut.  He would say "we are building a bloody pergola here not an Edwardian dressing table for a palace".

When we worked together last summer, I did have a big smile on my face, did not say anything because it has obviously rubbed off on him.  Lining a plaster wall he had the torch out shining across the plaster face so he could circle all the little shadows / imperfections in the Gyprock that a normal person would not see.  That way he could then fill them and sand them back for a perfect wall.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Hey Muzz,  was not a put down mate, but more of a pat on the back for having a go and a bit of fun.  Sorry its just the "gotta help" in my personality.  My son is a builder and I drive him nuts.  Every measurement for me is to the mm and when I build something its like I am making a fine piece of furniture.  For him a thick chippies pencil mark across the cut zone is ok but me I have to use a really sharp pencil to get that fine line for the accurate cut.  He would say "we are building a bloody pergola here not an Edwardian dressing table for a palace".

When we worked together last summer, I did have a big smile on my face, did not say anything because it has obviously rubbed off on him.  Lining a plaster wall he had the torch out shining across the plaster face so he could circle all the little shadows / imperfections in the Gyprock that a normal person would not see.  That way he could then fill them and sand them back for a perfect wall.

Hey AL, no offence was taken, mate. I was just pointing out part of the reason it was so shabby looking. I started out using free pallet wood and a small bed because I'm one of those folks that can lose interest in things quickly. Didn't want to blow coin on a flash in the pan. However I've maintained my interest in the vegie patch for about a year now so I expanded to start my garlic bed. As I mentioned above with that tree growing it'll shade the vegie patch so my plan is to put a rainwater tank in that spot and get some legit garden beds and put them east of the tree. I saw some 1200 x 900 x 300 beds for $20 at Bunno's. Reckon I'll buy 3 or 4 of those eventually.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

What a great area you have there Phil.  Nice sanctuary to chill out with a couple of cold ones and your favorite darling (or someone else's favorite darling).  Am jealous.  I grow all my tomatoes in pots now days as the root knot nematodes attack the plants when in they are in the ground (well they do in my patch).  My potted tomato plants are 6 - 7 ft high and fruiting beautifully.  Also Cherry Tomatoes do well in a big hanging pot, let them cascade down like grapes.  Gotta feed all of them a level teaspoon of Thrive general purpose mixed into four litres of water twice a week and they go nuts. Cheers.

iBooz2  Thanks, I have only been here since March last year, had to move due to the Covid-19 slowing down my Stubby Holder business in the Pubs & of course travel restrictions, but I really enjoy the smaller more compact area. As I am surrounded by trees & shrubbery & less than 5 minutes from Glenelg, so mid afternoon a beautiful sea breeze hits. So sitting outside under the shade with an ale or 6 is very comfortable !! Great for BBQ's, Weber etc. I may have to build some sort of trellis to hang some tomato pots from as you said. Cheers Phil

• Like 1

Haha more of the same... monster Zook plants and although not raining much the plants have got their roots well down and into the mulched soil and are goin' off... need to pick every few days to keep up haha!  Guess what vegetable is on for every meal haha!  But they can be done many ways including cooked and fresh in salads and are helping keep costs down too...  am picking them deliberately nice and small as they are tasty that way... nice to have a bigger one now and then too ; )

image.thumb.png.a3e4a9cdeeaf761a7f2be723b08cf6c8.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 3

Haha and these beauts... roadside tree where I used to work... after lots of rain to wash any roadside aerosols off... some festive hot-hot chilli plum sauce was concocted and turned out nice - great with pork and chive dumplings ; )

image.thumb.png.a6de00acc9a88d917e820242909413aa.png

• Like 2

I normally make spicy plum sauce from my blood plum tree crop around this time of year but the last few years damn rainbow lorikeets come in and smash them before they are even tuning ripe.  This year is was the sulfur crested cockatoos.  They destroyed the fruit while still green to just to eat the pips / kernels.  Had to use garden hose sprayer to hurl the buggers out every hour or so as not allowed to use a shottie around here. Next year it will be covered in a bird proof net.

Yes agreed, this sauce goes well on lots of goodies from the BBQ.

• Haha 1

I love both, zucchini are great cut lengthways drizzled with Extra Virgin & black pepper & sea salt & grilled on the barbie.

With the bigger ones if you scoop out the middle, mix with mince, pine nuts, onion etc ( plenty of recipes on the net ) & bake them like you would a capsicum or tomato.

Great with a rustic tomato spicy sauce ... & a red wine.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Haha more of the same... monster Zook plants and although not raining much the plants have got their roots well down and into the mulched soil and are goin' off... need to pick every few days to keep up haha!  Guess what vegetable is on for every meal haha!  But they can be done many ways including cooked and fresh in salads and are helping keep costs down too...  am picking them deliberately nice and small as they are tasty that way... nice to have a bigger one now and then too ; )

image.thumb.png.a3e4a9cdeeaf761a7f2be723b08cf6c8.png

Have you tried the flowers with a batter & deep fried, awesome.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Yeah plenty of figs this year. 

They are lookin' great HH - mind the filthy birdies tho mate... suspect you will be all over it... just they seem to get sampled in preference to some other fruit ; )