Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

24 minutes ago, Graubart said:

They are lookin' great HH - mind the filthy birdies tho mate... suspect you will be all over it... just they seem to get sampled in preference to some other fruit ; )

Ha ha no issues yet, old mate bluey doesn't let them anywhere near our yard. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Awesome, so many uses. I like them fresh, dried etc, but if there was only one jam you could have, to me it have to be fig.

Here is one for you Phil.

Breakfast / brunch.  Slice of toasted vienna bread or other favorite bread (crumpets are nice too), no butter, lightly smeared with fig & date chutney (fig jam may work too), covered with 1/2 smashed avocado about 10-15 mm thick with dessert spoon depression in the middle.  Plop in a soft poached egg, top with garnish of finely sliced spring onion, salt and a grind of black pepper.

Enjoy out in the sunshine with a nice cup of tea or fresh ground coffee.  My wife loves these for breakfast / brunch on a lazy weekend or day off.  Cheers

• Like 2

That sounds pretty good mate - a real gourmet breakfast ! I could pretty much eat veges for breakfast or any other meal ( I love meat also ) I always roast or steam too many so I can make good old bubble & squeak in the morning, especially good if you make patties out of them, plenty of pepper & salt, add an egg etc.

I f you grow them yourself you seem more determined not to waste any.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 5:41 PM, CLASSIC said:

I love both, zucchini are great cut lengthways drizzled with Extra Virgin & black pepper & sea salt & grilled on the barbie.

With the bigger ones if you scoop out the middle, mix with mince, pine nuts, onion etc ( plenty of recipes on the net ) & bake them like you would a capsicum or tomato.

Great with a rustic tomato spicy sauce ... & a red wine.

Tried your idea of zucchini on the BBQ last night Phil as I had not had some of these done that way for years and because have 4 plants in my veggie patch thought why not.  My version had a twist from just oil, salt and pepper though.

Picked two small zucchinis about 200 mm long, cut them length-ways, coated in extra virgin olive oil and cracked sea salt.  Did not put pepper on them at this stage as pepper burns.

Placed them cut side down on grill for 5 minutes to get grill marks them and then turned them over.  Put cracked pepper and about 1 teaspoon of grated Parmesan cheese on top of each slice.  Baked them for another 10 minutes.  Very nice with grilled snapper and salad.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2021 at 12:35 PM, Popo said:

Third year lucky. There's not enough to do anything meaningful with them but after 3 years of trying, I've got some homegrown hops.

IMG20210124115115.jpg

What a great pic.  What type of hops Popo? and where did you get the original plant stock from?

Cheers - AL

Excellent, IBOOZ2, I agree with you on the pepper as I was a cook in the Army among other things. The cooking time is an individual opinion some like a crispier finish as opposed to just cooked.

Parmesan is a great choice & I have tried all sorts of toppings including mushroom,  onion & heaps of others. Apart from the awesome flavors you get to the experience the fact that you grew them as we do with our beers. I chargrill heaps of other veges ie: Capsicum, even large chillis filled with cooked rice & anchovies or anything you want.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

All this forum talk of Chillies I decided to make some Zook Chilli Pickles haha... The Zook end is nigh as the evil Powdery has arrived (after some losses of some plants to Bacterial Wilt) but it really has been a good season so can't whinge...   And if the Mice are starting to try to move in, it means that Autumn must be nigh and seasons are moving on ; )

image.thumb.png.24c07e820e8fb5700b43cc2aaa5c05c4.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Zucchini Armageddon (Bacterial Wilt and then Powdery... a tough gig to survive but have had a great season so cannot complain) :

image.thumb.png.ab1619ac22c55b9cbd41c660e9dd32fe.png

Geez @Graubart  looks like the battleground at Waterloo, great looking zucchinis though, I love all veg but that is so versatile. I like them steamed, pan fried, BBQ'd. stuffed any which way but loose. I bet they taste better than from the Supermarket. Cheers.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...