Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Harvested some silverbeet this morning. What a brilliant crop to be able to grow. It's fast growing, rejuvenates so you get numerous harvests and best of all - I love eating it.

IMG20210424080250.jpg

Conversely, I won't be planting baby beets again. The amount of space they take up in the patch can't be justified for the yield.

IMG20210424105530.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Conversely, I won't be planting baby beets again. The amount of space they take up in the patch can't be justified for the yield.

IMG20210424105530.jpg

@MUZZY I agree about the Silver Beet it's a great vegetable, easy to grow & yields well, Baby Beet is another story, all those stalks & leaves just for a few beets. I bought a 850gram tin yesterday for a $1.00. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 8:59 AM, MUZZY said:

Could this possibly be my first garlic shoot?

Could this be -- Big Time Muzzler.... that is your first - and blaaaaardy beautiful looking festive Garlic Shoot mate - luvyerwork!!!  Go you good Garlic Growing Thing!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

Could this be -- Big Time Muzzler.... that is your first - and blaaaaardy beautiful looking festive Garlic Shoot mate - luvyerwork!!!  Go you good Garlic Growing Thing!!!

I'm a little worried though. Only one shoot out of 30 planted.

On 4/24/2021 at 9:02 AM, MUZZY said:

silverbeet this morning. What a brilliant crop to be able to grow. It's fast growing, rejuvenates so you get numerous harvests and best of all - I love eating it.

How do you or yours cook it mate?  I should eat more of it and am interested in how to make it more palatable ; )

On 4/24/2021 at 9:45 AM, MUZZY said:

It's obviously working. I haven't seen a vampire around these parts ever since I planted them.

u wouldn't see them lurking in the shadows as they do. More likely they turned your wife to try and get you has she been more interested in sucking?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Graubart said:

How do you or yours cook it mate?  I should eat more of it and am interested in how to make it more palatable ; )

Usually just blanched in salted, hot water as a side for roasts or steaks but I added some chopped up to omelettes and vegetable curry this week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Usually just blanched in salted, hot water as a side for roasts or steaks but I added some chopped up to omelettes and vegetable curry this week.

Hey @MUZZY  & @Graubart  if you don't mind me butting in, I love Silver Beet, I don't like it too mushy, I cook the stalks first & then add the leaves towards the end.

I prefer steaming, but another way to enjoy Silverbeet is to plunge the chopped leaves and stalks into boiling salted water for a couple of minutes before draining and tossing in olive oil and lemon. Or simply shred and mix through salads. I also love Silverbeet blanched in salted boiling water, drained and tossed with sesame oil, sliced garlic, green chilli and a touch of soy.

Or you can make Silverbeet $ Potato soup with a Chicken or Vegetable based stock in a similar way you would make Potato & Leek soup.

Add croutons cracked pepper, cream or as dash of olive oil & parsley. 

Cheers.

🥣

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey @MUZZY  & @Graubart  if you don't mind me butting in, I love Silver Beet, I don't like it too mushy, I cook the stalks first & then add the leaves towards the end.

I prefer steaming, but another way to enjoy Silverbeet is to plunge the chopped leaves and stalks into boiling salted water for a couple of minutes before draining and tossing in olive oil and lemon. Or simply shred and mix through salads. I also love Silverbeet blanched in salted boiling water, drained and tossed with sesame oil, sliced garlic, green chilli and a touch of soy.

Or you can make Silverbeet $ Potato soup with a Chicken or Vegetable based stock in a similar way you would make Potato & Leek soup.

Add croutons cracked pepper, cream or as dash of olive oil & parsley. 

Cheers.

🥣

Some great suggestions there, Philthy.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Muzzy, you probably know this but it would be a good time to chuck a bit of snail bait around if you cage is pooch free !

Thanks Phil. It's pooch free currently. I wouldn't say it's pooch-proof though. I might just have to be vigilant and pick the snails out by hand. Is garlic more susceptible to snail attack than other plants?
I'll google a non-toxic deterrent for them anyway.

Edited by MUZZY

10 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Thanks Phil. It's pooch free currently. I wouldn't say it's pooch-proof though. I might just have to be vigilant and pick the snails out by hand. Is garlic more susceptible to snail attack than other plants?
I'll google a non-toxic deterrent for them anyway.

• Basil
  • Garlic
  • Lavender
  • Marjoram
  • Parsley
  • Peony
  • Rosemary
  • Roses
  • Sage
  • Scented Geranium
  • Thyme

These are slug-resistant plants. To start with, slugs do not enjoying eating vegetables, shrubs, or trees and so they are rarely a victim of slug’s attack. A slug will only eat one of those if there is nothing else to eat.

So if you have a garden or large plantation and you have slugs making a mess of your plants, getting rid of them is as easy as planting any of these herbs- that simple!

I don't know reliable this is but you may be right, they don't like garlic but will put holes in your silver beet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

That sounds like my idea of a good time thanks @CLASSIC Phil ; )

It is actually the neighbours olive tree, but overhangs our yard. Huge crop this year, after almost nothing last year. This is just a small amount - now the process to actually make them edible.

20210426_145652.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, yab said:

It is actually the neighbours olive tree, but overhangs our yard. Huge crop this year, after almost nothing last year. This is just a small amount - now the process to actually make them edible.

20210426_145652.jpg

Easy I have done it heaps of times with the neighbors overhanging trees, a basic way is to cure them in salt for 7-10 days, we used to completely cover them in salt, place in a sealed tupperware container, change the salt everyday & then rinse the off completely & there are many options from there on but a simple method is to sterlise some tight sealing jars ( like the big Moccona Coffee jars ) you can cover them with olive oil or a solution of vinegar/water & flavour them with Garlic/chilli/herbs etc.

If you google you will find other options, but I am sure other members have done it, good luck, Cheers.