Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

image.thumb.png.57cd2a74c3010ec258a60b65acdabb79.png

Taties and salad onions from garden same day...

Pickled zooks from Feb

And shop mayo, capers, german gherkin and purple onion

Guess I should make me own Mayo one day... and Spanish Onion was planted today... hopefully they will survive the Bugs Grubs Snails Slugs Rabbits and we get some rain for them as well : |

Dunno about Capers ?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:

image.thumb.png.57cd2a74c3010ec258a60b65acdabb79.png

Taties and salad onions from garden same day...

Pickled zooks from Feb

And shop mayo, capers, german gherkin and purple onion

Guess I should make me own Mayo one day... and Spanish Onion was planted today... hopefully they will survive the Bugs Grubs Snails Slugs Rabbits and we get some rain for them as well : |

Dunno about Capers ?

Looking good Graubster, love all of that stuff especially pickled gherkin, onion etc I imagine you would make a mean potato salad with all of those ingredients, capers, gherkin etc.

Well done old chap, have the rest of the day off & a beer.

• Haha 1

About two weeks ago I put in some silverbeet, snow peas and baby beet seeds and they've all sprouted nicely but what I'm most excited about is today's planting of 30 garlic cloves. My first attempt at garlic so fingers are crossed. It's going to be painful checking their progress because they're such a slow growing crop. 

8 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

About two weeks ago I put in some silverbeet, snow peas and baby beet seeds and they've all sprouted nicely but what I'm most excited about is today's planting of 30 garlic cloves. My first attempt at garlic so fingers are crossed. It's going to be painful checking their progress because they're such a slow growing crop. 

Patience @MUZZY Patience. 🍆

Just now, MUZZY said:

Yep

Hey Muzzy, I know what you mean, I did the same with Parsley/Basil/Coriander etc but as I don't have a lot of earth space ( mainly pavers & mulched borders ) I do a lot of stuff in pots which works for me as I can move around at will to capture necessary sun. Good luck anyway. Cheers.

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Muzzy, I know what you mean, I did the same with Parsley/Basil/Coriander etc but as I don't have a lot of earth space ( mainly pavers & mulched borders ) I do a lot of stuff in pots which works for me as I can move around at will to capture necessary sun. Good luck anyway. Cheers.

Yeah, I reckon pots are probably best for most herbs. As you say, you can chase the sun but also avoid it during heatwaves.

On 4/1/2021 at 4:33 PM, MUZZY said:

Muzzy,

Hope to christ that you got untreated garlic, Planted pointy end up and watered in good.

Garlic is the easiest thing to grow mate. Just keep it moist, well weeded and come spring ensure its well watered as this is the bulbing phase and needs water to bulb into massive bulbs.

Happy growing mate. it'll take a few weeks for them to show buddy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Muzzy,

Hope to christ that you got untreated garlic, Planted pointy end up and watered in good.

Garlic is the easiest thing to grow mate. Just keep it moist, well weeded and come spring ensure its well watered as this is the bulbing phase and needs water to bulb into massive bulbs.

Happy growing mate. it'll take a few weeks for them to show buddy.

Howdy @The Captain!!

I was hoping you might pipe up and offer some advice.

Yes mate, I got the garlic from a local grower. She told me to plant it in April and, yes, pointy end up.

• Like 1

So this autumn in Muzzy's L plate vege patch we have:

Along the left - snow peas. They started shooting after a few days. Very encouraging for this novice gardener.

At top are baby beets and below them is silverbeet. 

The bed to the right is where I'm hoping my garlic, planted last week, will be springing up.

Apologies for the netting obscuring the photo but so far it's kept those bl00dy white moths away as far as I can tell. The white wire baskets are to deter another garden pest...our dog, Scooby. She's caused carnage too many times. I'm genuinely surprised I haven't completely lost it with her. I guess it's like having a kid with a meth addiction. You hate them for it but they're still your kid and you love them.

IMG20210408084834.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

So this autumn in Muzzy's L plate vege patch we have:

Along the left - snow peas. They started shooting after a few days. Very encouraging for this novice gardener.

At top are baby beets and below them is silverbeet. 

The bed to the right is where I'm hoping my garlic, planted last week, will be springing up.

Apologies for the netting obscuring the photo but so far it's kept those bl00dy white moths away as far as I can tell. The white wire baskets are to deter another garden pest...our dog, Scooby. She's caused carnage too many times. I'm genuinely surprised I haven't completely lost it with her. I guess it's like having a kid with a meth addiction. You hate them for it but they're still your kid and you love them.

IMG20210408084834.jpg

Looking good @MUZZY  I haven't got the ground space I had before but raised free standing beds & pots do the trick with herbs. I don't bother with any veg anymore due to the fact I am surrounded by choices, Greengrocers, Supermarkets etc & given the competitive prices I can still get fresh all of the time.

I still miss a few hours in the garden but now just happy to have a beer in the front courtyard.

Cheers. 🍆

• Like 2

I have excellent food shopping near me also. Tony & Mark's, Standom Smallgoods, Barossa Fine Foods, Panini Bros plus Drakes, Romeo Foodland, Coles, Woolies and Aldi. All of them within walking distance. I've chosen to grow some of my own stuff more for the sake of having an interest, now that I don't do any sport these days. My patches are fairly small in size but I plan to expand as I get more proficient at gardening. Already after one year I've gone from the one bed to an extra one for garlic.

I planted an orange tree last year which will eventually shade the pictured beds, so the plan is to move the beds east of the tree and add one or two more beds.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I have excellent food shopping near me also. Tony & Mark's, Standom Smallgoods, Barossa Fine Foods, Panini Bros plus Drakes, Romeo Foodland, Coles, Woolies and Aldi. All of them within walking distance. I've chosen to grow some of my own stuff more for the sake of having an interest, now that I don't do any sport these days. My patches are fairly small in size but I plan to expand as I get more proficient at gardening. Already after one year I've gone from the one bed to an extra one for garlic.

I planted an orange tree last year which will eventually shade the pictured beds, so the plan is to move the beds east of the tree and add one or two more beds.

I get what you mean, Beer Making has taken over anything else apart from the odd visit to the pub, catching up with mates etc. I was never into sports anyway apart from Gyms & Golf as a youngster & then Darts for the rest of it. The forum is a good place to be as well.

• Like 3

Didn't take any photos but made up some homemade chilli sauce that packs a decent kick.

Habanero

Carolina reapers

Trinidad scorpions

White and Orange Ghost peppers

Oz Brain killer

Onions

Hot Cayenne powder

Vinegar

Garlic

Salt / Pepper

Missus wasn't happy with the aroma throughout the house and the fact I used her thermomix but came out a treat. Cant wait to throw it on some wings!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Didn't take any photos but made up some homemade chilli sauce that packs a decent kick.

Habanero

Carolina reapers

Trinidad scorpions

White and Orange Ghost peppers

Oz Brain killer

Onions

Hot Cayenne powder

Vinegar

Garlic

Salt / Pepper

Missus wasn't happy with the aroma throughout the house and the fact I used her thermomix but came out a treat. Cant wait to throw it on some wings!

Hey Man that sounds lethal, I make & love hot stuff too, Good luck with it. 🌶️ 🥵

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally got around to filling and planting in my garden boxes. 

Turned out great...just to play the waiting game.

An assortment of winter vegetables (customer works for a nursery that supplies Bunnings and such, got them cheap).  I over ordered and ended up with way to many , but the in-laws took the rest!

Fee lettuce, few types of onion, herbs in the front garden bed closest to the fire. Was going to put garlic in, but I might wait until next year.

@MUZZY I haven't been following the thread, but yours looks great! Hopefully I get a good harvest out of mine.

Also have a new driveway coming next week, so had to relocate the shed! Easy as...I'd anyone has to move one, put a strap under each corner and lift like that. Took 4 guys 2 mins to move!

PXL_20210418_054441408.jpg

PXL_20210418_054454621.jpg

PXL_20210418_051733916.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Bit of a battle with Roos Rabbits Rodents and Snails and Sluggers... but got a few Radi which are very nice:

image.thumb.png.a4da3a1e5cfda5f8ae620c32ebc94662.png

Graubster, my mate & I can come to your Ponderosa & shoot all all of the rodents as we are Rabbit cooking experts 🐰 & drink lots of beer. 🤣  Nice looking radishes.

• Haha 1

Did a little bit of work last weekend on the veggie garden. Snow peas popping up which I planted the week before. Kale seedlings planted and also have planted some tomatoes seedlings. Never thought I would do that in autumn but I saw these at bunnings a few weeks ago and decided to give them a go. From what I have read as long as you don't get a heavy frost they will set fruit. Will see how they go.

https://www.mrfothergills.com.au/tomato-siberian.html#:~:text=Botanical name - Lycopersicon esculentum&text=Sow late Winter to early,direct to final growing position.

Seedlings popping up for silverbeet, kailaan and bok choy so they will be in in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Did a little bit of work last weekend on the veggie garden. Snow peas popping up which I planted the week before. Kale seedlings planted and also have planted some tomatoes seedlings. Never thought I would do that in autumn but I saw these at bunnings a few weeks ago and decided to give them a go. From what I have read as long as you don't get a heavy frost they will set fruit. Will see how they go.

https://www.mrfothergills.com.au/tomato-siberian.html#:~:text=Botanical name - Lycopersicon esculentum&text=Sow late Winter to early,direct to final growing position.

Seedlings popping up for silverbeet, kailaan and bok choy so they will be in in a couple of weeks.

Those tomatoes look good, I used to have limited success with late crops but as you say if you can be frost free you should be right, I don't have any room for ground planting these days, only Pots etc but I don't bother anymore other than herbs as I am surrounded by Shopping Centres/Supermarkets etc.