Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2021

ben 10

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Nice mate. Mine just starting to pop through as well. Time to give them a dose of urea to really get them pumping.

I have a mate who grows them but I do not have a yard as such however I have seen them grown in large tubs, maybe there is a dwarf variety. The bottom line is if you can't do it properly it's probably not worth the effort.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have a mate who grows them but I do not have a yard as such however I have seen them grown in large tubs, maybe there is a dwarf variety. The bottom line is if you can't do it properly it's probably not worth the effort.

You would be surprised mate. Been doing it for a few years now. First year in a half wine barrel. Got enough for 1 batch from memory. Planted in a raised garden bed enough for 2 to 3 batches. Hoping for 4 this year. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

You would be surprised mate. Been doing it for a few years now. First year in a half wine barrel. Got enough for 1 batch from memory. Planted in a raised garden bed enough for 2 to 3 batches. Hoping for 4 this year. 

OK Cheers, might be worth a go then, I will investigate it further. 🥬

12 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Tubs are good agree w @Greeny1525229549 Greeny - but @Classic Brewing Co Phil you will still need a bit of room for the climbing vines (or here bines as they do the circular climbing thing) to gallop along and then let their flowers hang down... 

Edited by Graubart

Just now, Graubart said:

Tubs are good agree w @Greeny1525229549 Greeny - but you will still need a bit of room for the climbing vines (or here bines as they do the circular climbing thing) to gallop along and then let their flowers hang down... 

Yup I understand that, I have seen them growing (among other similar looking plants🙊

Sounds like it would be fun to try, Cheers Fellas.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yup I understand that, I have seen them growing (among other similar looking plants🙊

Sounds like it would be fun to try, Cheers Fellas.

About June next year I will be digging mine up and cutting back the crown. You can have a few then if you want to give it a go. They are POR hops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would think they are but this suggests it could be a while before it produces edible fruit, much the same as the Lemon tree I planted.

Regards

Dr Phil.

Standard-Sized Trees

Standard-sized Valencia orange trees take at least three to four years before you can harvest the fruit from the tree. This is the juvenile growth period when the tree is growing roots and branches to support the fruit when it does appear on the tree. Once you see signs of fruit set for your first Valencia orange crop, it will be another 12 to 15 months before you can pick the fruit, so add this on to the juvenile period to get a first harvest for your Valencia orange tree when it is 3 to 4 years old.

Dwarf Trees

Dwarf-sized citrus trees do not grow as large as full-sized Valencia orange trees, but they will still produce fruit that are standard in size. You may be able to see fruit production on dwarf Valencia trees in two to three years after planting. Remove any fruit that might appear sooner than this to ensure that you tree grows strong enough before it tries to support a full crop.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@disgruntled and @Classic Brewing Co
Thanks guys. Yeah, I planted the tree about 18 months ago and it was only about 50-70cm high at the time. So I've probably got another year or more before we get fruit. It's about 100cm high now.

I think it's a good idea to not allow it to fruit for the first few years so that it puts all its energy into growth, especially the root system. 

Cheers, Frank.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not growing very much at all this year which is very unusual for my patch at this time of year.

Since we had a long wet winter just past the bloody liverwort has taken over nearly every bit of my veggie patches.  Been spraying it with almost pure vinegar but it has only slowed it down so decided to not plant up much and concentrate on getting rid of this pestie pre-historic moss.  No good spraying it with weed killer like roundup and the like as it drinks that for breakfast and wants more.

Even got my gas torch out (flame thrower) and hooked up a full gas bottle to try to blow-torch it away but its as tough as nails.  Took heaps of heat just to dry it out then it finally burnt off to ground level.  Only did one bed with one full 8.5 kg gas bottle so not an efficient way to try and destroy this plant.  A wet month later its coming back in that bed again. 🤬 so not happy.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Sad 1