Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

I am wanting to shorten my brew day and am considering doing no chill brews. I am fortunate to have more kegs than what is needed for my 3 tap rotation and had the brain wave that i could use a cornie as a cube substitute.  Now for the life of me I have thought about it and can not come up with any reasons why it can't be done.  Does the brains trust think that it a viable alternative to cubing or have I overlooked something that may have a negative impact on the keg. For example I could/remove the dip tubes so not to impact the o rings.  But I am pretty certain that doing it at whirlpool temp would be fine for the seals.  

Edited by MartyG1525230263

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I suppose the only real potential issue is not being able to get all the air out of it and/or separating the beer from the trub that forms as it cools. 

A floating dip tube would work for the trub separation and just topping it off with CO2 and purging it would do for the oxygen. Generally I would pitch the next day so the oxygen would not be a massive issue.  The trub is that a big issue with cubes or is much the same at it would be for a chilled wort that is pitched that day that has cold break and the like in it.   

There will also be the negative pressure on the keg walls as it cools that may cause a buckle/dent. I say may as never tried it and not sure what negative pressure they can withstand, or how much negative pressure the cooling from 90 to 20 creates. I know with the cubes they go from rotund to concave overnight.

Hey marty. I wouldnt do it in a keg. As dozer says they buckle the cubes with negative pressure. I wouldn't risk it with a $100 keg. I no chill my ales in a cube overnight. Dont even bother about squeezing the air out. Let it cool and pitch next day. Never a problem in 100+ batches. Squeezing the air out is only really required if your going to store it which i never do.  And another thing. Dont splash the hot wort into the cube. Use some hose to transfer into the cube to minimise the splashing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our club is running System Wars  tommorow,  looks like its 6 different systems running at once. 

I'm doing a double IPA on my little rig and a triple batch  rye IPA on the hosts 3V .

DIPA is just Coopers ale malt and a small dose of dextrose for gravity boost hopped with Columbus,  Simcoe and Chinook. 

Bitter,  dank and piney. 

Had planned on using a few kilos of flowers in my mash tun as a hopback but not had time to source the hops 

• Like 5

Going to throw this into the BIAB later this week. It is a Fat Yak Pale Ale clone. I am just waiting on some hops to arrive.  It is a double batch for myself and my son in-law.   Does anyone have feedback on this or done something similar? 

Fat Yak clone.PNG

• Like 3

On 2/23/2020 at 1:34 PM, Maurice79 said:

Another harvest ale today.

I've decided to do a run of Dr Smurto's Golden Ales with our home grown hops. Mainly to determine what varieties to keep and what to cull to make way for a centennial or two. Todays is the Rye version as follows:

2.75 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                
0.95 kg               Rye Malt (9.3 EBC)                             
0.95 kg               Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC)                            
0.25 kg               Carabohemian (180.0 EBC)                     
10.00 g               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min     
200.00 g             Chinook [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  5.0 

Mash is underway now and once sparged I'll pick the Chinook. Bit of an estimate with the Chinook alpha and will need to covert the dry leaf amount of 200g to the wet equivalent.

So i ended up with 600gm of chinook at F/O for 10mins. I've been playing guitar a bit lately so I named this one Harvester of Sorrow.

Harvestor.jpg.174aa91538c9453c7d8f856b05bca828.jpg

Edited by Maurice79
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lab Rat said:

Brewing the Coopers Abbey Blonde again. I have about 200-250ml of the 2 belgian yeasts S33 and T58 harvested from the last one at beginnig of Jan. Is this enough? I've added 1.7kg malt

If it was a month old id say you would be fine. 2 months with the yeast sitting under 6%+ ABV beer id say you would be risking it. There will be a whole heap if cell death there.

Id use 250gm of the 1.7kg malt and make a 2 lt starter. Pour half the slurry into it and wait 24-36 hours. Will fire it back up quickly. Make your batch and pitch the whole starter into the batch. The starter should be at high krausen in 24-36 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

If it was a month old id say you would be fine. 2 months with the yeast sitting under 6%+ ABV beer id say you would be risking it. There will be a whole heap if cell death there.

Id use 250gm of the 1.7kg malt and make a 2 lt starter. Pour half the slurry into it and wait 24-36 hours. Will fire it back up quickly. Make your batch and pitch the whole starter into the batch. The starter should be at high krausen in 24-36 hours.

Thanks. I'd already pitched it as everything was ready to go.  Should I just pitch a new saf as well?

Edited by Lab Rat

8 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Thanks. I'd already pitched it as everything was ready to go.  Should I just pitch a new saf as well?

Ok. Now that you have pitched id wait and see what happens. Use the saf yeast as a backup in case it stalls.

By the way if you like belgian type beers try the rad abbot. Its a nice beer too.

• Thanks 1

Recipe: Belgian IPA 4337
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Belgian IPA
TYPE: All Grain 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 70.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          76.9 %        3.26 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          15.4 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         3          7.7 %         0.33 L        
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          40.7 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
75.00 g          Hort4337 [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           6          20.6 IBUs     -    @ flameout         
75.00 g          Hort4337 [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           7          9.4 IBUs      -    @ 80°c         
75.00 g          Hort4337 [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days             Hop           8          0.0 IBUs      -             
Belgian Pale Ale yeast
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 5

Brew day! 🙂

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA clone:

Coopers Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg
Light Dry Malt extract 1.35kg
Gladfield American Ale Malt grain 1.25kg
Caramalt grain 300gms
Dextrose 100gms
Warrior 30gms @ 60mins
Bravo 25gms @ 5mins
Crystal 30gms @ 5mins
Bravo/Crystal/Citra 30gms each dry hopped
2 x US-05 yeast (rehydrated)
Brewed to 21 litres
Ferment @ 18°C
OG = approx. 1.070
FG = expected 1.017
Kegged ABV = 7.0%
EBC = 13.0 IBU = 70.4

I've subbed the usual Magnum for Warrior & Bravo (there was no Magnum hops in my fridge so what ya gonna do? 😋), & used a small amount of dextrose to try & keep the FG a little lower. Apart from that, it's pretty spot on with the listed extract/partial clone specs. I may up the dry hop as I have tonnes of hops in my fridge atm that need to be used up.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 4

Ya know what I hate? I hate having some new kit for the BIAB ready to go. The grain all measured and ready to roll, the yeast viability starter done and ready to pitch  but the bittering hops that I ordered on Sunday have not arrived. Bugger, do I change the recipe or just be patient and wait for them to get here and do it on Monday or Tuesday.  Decisions need to be made. Bugger, bugger, and drat.    

14 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Ya know what I hate? I hate having some new kit for the BIAB ready to go. The grain all measured and ready to roll, the yeast viability starter done and ready to pitch  but the bittering hops that I ordered on Sunday have not arrived. Bugger, do I change the recipe or just be patient and wait for them to get here and do it on Monday or Tuesday.  Decisions need to be made. Bugger, bugger, and drat.    

Change the recipe if you can.  What hops do you have on hand?

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Change the recipe if you can.  What hops do you have on hand?

Am waiting on Nelson Sauvin and have Nugget flowers 80g,  100g of Cascade flowers, 550g of Cascade pellets and 50g of Saaz.   Don't think I can get the desired flavours of the Nelson Sauvin from those.   The recipe has both Nelson and Cascade boils and late additions. 

1 minute ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Am waiting on Nelson Sauvin and have Nugget flowers 80g,  100g of Cascade flowers, 550g of Cascade pellets and 50g of Saaz.   Don't think I can get the desired flavours of the Nelson Sauvin from those.   The recipe has both Nelson and Cascade boils and late additions. 

You could bitter with Nugget but if you were using NS late then you will probably have to wait.