Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Are victoria hops anything like vic secret or what aromas do you get from them?

As far as I am aware Vic secret and Victoria are same same.  Victoria they are an Aussie hop and are very similar to Galaxy.  That is all I know from searching the literature.  Pretty sure i did read that they a virtually the same. But the hop gurus will know. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

As far as I am aware Vic secret and Victoria are same same.  Victoria they are an Aussie hop and are very similar to Galaxy.  That is all I know from searching the literature.  Pretty sure i did read that they a virtually the same. But the hop gurus will know. 

I thought they were very similar if not the same, but I just don't know. I will grow some though. Making plans for the treliss and the rhizomes for next year. I am thinking of centennial, Columbus, cascade and Victoria but I still have to build it and prepare the area. I build stuff like Ralph, from Simpsons spells.

• Like 2

Just now, Norris! said:

thought they were very similar if not the same,

I was not 100% sure but I know I read that they are the same.  Anyway maybe will use them as a dry hop in this brew. I have about 150g of them so might use 30g as a dry hop on this brew. Just need to make up my mind.  Both Nugget and Victoria are dual purpose high AA% hops and I have 150g of each so will do a Nugget bittering with this brew and then do a victoria bittering for the one after and also swap the flavouring as well. If that makes sense? 

• Like 1

Recipe: Pale Ale
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 16.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          86.4 %        2.28 L        
0.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          12.3 %        0.33 L        
0.05 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         3          1.2 %         0.03 L        
30.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           4          9.4 IBUs      -             
30.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           5          15.8 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           6          14.9 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unsure on the yeast....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

As far as I am aware Vic secret and Victoria are same same. 

As far as I am aware they are not. Do some research on Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, he does state his home grown Victoria hop is not the same as the commercially available Vic Secret.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

As far as I am aware they are not. Do some research on Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, he does state his home grown Victoria hop is not the same as the commercially available Vic Secret.

Yes I did read that last night.  I think from memory the Victoria have more of a citrus grapefruit accent to them.  As I said was not 100% sure.  On this http://www.hopslist.com/hops/dual-purpose-hops/vic-secret/ they do say they are the same hop.  

Capture a.PNG

26 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Any of you have Leffe style all grain recipe. I have a free keg coming up and have always wanted to brew this beer as it’s been a personal favourite 

Which one?  There's quite a few beers by Leffe...  I think their blond and brune are the more popular ones.

2 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

apologies, the blonde. its quite easy to get over here which is great . it could be a struggle back home to get it 

Havent made this one in well over a year Paddy. I did a side by side with the real deal and while fairly close it was not exact. I found danstar abbaye yeast to be the most representative of the style as well. Start the ferment at about 18c and rise it over the course of the ferment to about 21c. I would also use styrian and saaz as i believe thats what the original uses. I think i just subbed it out with hallertau last time to get rid of the hops.

Screenshot_2020-02-15-16-28-01.png

Screenshot_2020-02-15-16-28-05.png

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Havent made this one in well over a year Paddy. I did a side by side with the real deal and while fairly close it was not exact. I found danstar abbaye yeast to be the most representative of the style as well. Start the ferment at about 18c and rise it over the course of the ferment to about 21c. I would also use styrian and saaz as i believe thats what the original uses. I think i just subbed it out with hallertau last time to get rid of the hops.

Screenshot_2020-02-15-16-28-01.png

Screenshot_2020-02-15-16-28-05.png

Legend. Cheers mate. I have hallertau left over myself but I’ll get the styrian and saaz. I shall brew this up once me English bitter keg is free which is about two weeks away 

Recipe: Untitled Recipe

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          83.3 %        3.26 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          16.7 %        0.65 L        
20.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           3          28.4 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
50.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           5          13.4 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           6          11.3 IBUs     -             

Unknown dry hop, unknown yeast as yet

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

US-05/WLP001/Wyeast 1056/M44 (No I don't recommend BRY-97) for the yeast if you want the "American Pale Ale" style. For the dry hop I'd use Amarillo with ONE of those two other hops, but not both.

Mosaic & El Dorado appear to have a bit of overlap into the "stone fruit/tropical fruit" aromas so using equal weights of all three hops for the dry hop could make this aspect quite dominant, negating the use of Amarillo to some degree & possibly diminishing it's final aroma impact.

Or just use something completely different. That's the joy of brewing your own beer,....no limits. 😎

P.S. If you would like to try all three hops for the dry hop, just make the Amarillo weight equal to the combined dry hop weight of the Mosaic & El Dorado.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2

Recipe: Catharina Sour
Style: Wild Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 6.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 7.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
3.50 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          58.3 %        2.28 L        
2.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          41.7 %        1.63 L        
5.00 g           Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           3          7.0 IBUs      -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saison yeast and some fruit.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

18 hours ago, Beerlust said:

US-05/WLP001/Wyeast 1056/M44...

7 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

More like a saison, belgian pale or kveik for me, whatever I find in the fridge.

21 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Recipe: Untitled Recipe

Sorry mate. What was I thinking? 🤔 How dumb of me to offer that suggestion. 🙄

Lusty.

• Haha 1

I just fund out my new fridge will take 2 x FV's side-by-side so tomorrow the brew day will be for 2 brews. I've got 10L water for each chilling in the fridge. Had a busy day so didn't get bottling done and my 3rd FV still has the Exbeeriment in it.

So tomorrow will be another go at the Coopers XPA clone, closer to original recipe this time, and the "Soft Kicker" the missus likes.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 10:06 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

From my understanding victoria hops are different than Vic Secret and were a part of the same breeding program as Galaxy so they are have similar parents. Like grapes, the terroir (soil and climate) has an impact on the flavour etc of the hops. Our Adelaide hills version could be described as peach, melon, apricot and loquat.  Makes a tasty IPA.

• Thanks 1