Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

8 minutes ago, Hairy said:

You could bitter with Nugget but if you were using NS late then you will probably have to wait. 

Unfortunately my last brew was a nugget and cascade hop and don't want to do it again but is a good drip.  

Brew day done and dusted and my Fat Yak clone is pitched.

Cut about an hour of the last brew days time of 6 hours but be buggered if I know how.

I threw in a 20 minute mash out and a 20 minute hop stand and it seemed to take forever to get to the boil. Think maybe the coil was more efficient today as ambient was a bit cooler and the tanks are full, with more on the way, so did not use the reticulated ice bath which saves time. Also it was a double batch so the coil was fully submerged.  So the time I lost on the boil I more than made up on cooling. 

Very happy with the efficiency of my BIAB set up came in 2 points over projected.  Maybe it was the mash which started at 690, and finished at 650 then did a 20 minute 780 mash out.  Anyway I picked up 2 points.  

It is pitched with US05 and in the fridge at 220  with the spunding valve at 12.5psi. 

No plans to mess with this baby. There will not be dry hopping. It will be under pressure from the start through transfer and drinking.  Well that is the plan. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Brew day done and dusted and my Fat Yak clone is pitched.

Cut about an hour of the last brew days time of 6 hours but be buggered if I know how.

I threw in a 20 minute mash out and a 20 minute hop stand and it seemed to take forever to get to the boil. Think maybe the coil was more efficient today as ambient was a bit cooler and the tanks are full, with more on the way, so did not use the reticulated ice bath which saves time. Also it was a double batch so the coil was fully submerged.  So the time I lost on the boil I more than made up on cooling. 

Very happy with the efficiency of my BIAB set up came in 2 points over projected.  Maybe it was the mash which started at 690, and finished at 650 then did a 20 minute 780 mash out.  Anyway I picked up 2 points.  

It is pitched with US05 and in the fridge at 220  with the spunding valve at 12.5psi. 

No plans to mess with this baby. There will not be dry hopping. It will be under pressure from the start through transfer and drinking.  Well that is the plan. 

22C? is that what your temp is set at or what it was after pitching?

6 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Roger. Hopefully it goes well for ya mate.

Looking forward to the photo and tasting notes.

Thanks. Did not pressurise when I pitched. Look at it after about 5 hours and had 3psi and this morning at 6am was at 12.5psi with constant blow off.   I took SG this morning and had dropped about 6 points over night. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 1

Well brew day didnt happen today for a number of reasons but scheduled for tomorow. Grainfather set on delay, strike water to start at 7am. Wheat beer is the target but will post the receipe tomorrow when i finalise my hope schedule. Milled my ale malt and carrapils at normal roller gap and changed this for milling the wheat malt as they are smaller grain and i want these really fine. Due to lack of beer stocks i decided to do a couple of extract brews. Both porters and are both fermenting under pressure. No1 is a TC devils ruby porter with a briess light pilsner extract. No2 a briess porter extract with a TC dark ale, both pitched with S04 ale yeast and no temperature control. They are both in fermentasaurus and using in build PRV to control pressure. Not sure what i will do with the finished product though. The vessels are to big to fit in any of my fridge/freezers on the stands. I may just remove the stands and balance the vessels in a fridge and serve from picnic gun.

7 hours ago, Titan said:

The vessels are to big to fit in any of my fridge/freezers

From all reports the fermentasaurus is a great bit of gear but that size issue is a bit of a design flaw.  However have seen many peoples mods where they make a wooden shelf from ply with a key hole cut into  so they can ditch the stand. 

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I did a pretty similar looking hefe a few weeks back without the carapils. Wouldn’t the wheat be enough for the mouth feel ?

Probably yes but just a habit i got into.

Had a great weekend of brew related stuff.

Brewing what will hopefully be my first NEIPA type thing. Got the Snub Nose so I can ferment and CC under pressure, which has been the only thing stopping me from making heavily dry hopped beers. One oxidised batch was bad, second was too much to bear. Now I have gas and pressure transfers I have all the tools I need. Fingers crossed.

I am still determined to make the no-chill method work for hoppy beers. Will report back with the results.

2.5kg Coopers ale malt
2.5kg JWM Export pils
1.0kg quick oats
1.0kg BB wheat
150g rice hulls
250g dex

Ca 79.4 Mg 9.0 Na 42.9 SO4 85.2 Cl 150.3

40g each Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic whirlpool @ 80c.

Big ass real wort starter 1318.

Bio T hop charge has been added at high krausen (30g each Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic) with the same again planned in a couple days to coincide with the D rest.

Chugging away at 19c under 7.5psi. Smell is absolutely heavenly.

IMG_20200307_143505.jpg

IMG_20200307_144550.jpg

IMG_20200307_155445.jpg

IMG_20200308_090456.jpg

IMG_20200308_103525.jpg

IMG_20200309_103653.jpg

Edited by PhilboBaggins
  • Like 7

Just now, MartyG1525230263 said:

So how are you going to dry hop? 

Going to dry hop twice. Commando. The floating dip tube should make collection easy even with the hops thrown in loose. First dry hop is already in the FV (it's day 2) and next will be on day 4. If there doesn't appear to be enough activity on day 4 (I still think there will be a fair bit) then I'll attach a gas line and flush the crap out of the head space. It's probably still not perfect but I'm getting closer to having a great procedure for dry hopped beers.

5 minutes ago, PhilboBaggins said:

Going to dry hop twice. Commando. The floating dip tube should make collection easy even with the hops thrown in loose. 

So you release the pressure and dry hop then pressurise?  Will be very interested to see how that works out. 

Just now, MartyG1525230263 said:

So you release the pressure and dry hop then pressurise?  Will be very interested to see how that works out. 

Exactly. Dry hopping during active fermentation the way I have been doing has not been my O2 issue I think. I think the CC has been where I've had the most ingress. Positive pressure in the FV just prior to CC should minimise this I am hoping. After my 2 horribly oxidised IPAs last year I've now got a good eye/nose for even slightly oxidised beer, and I dare say in the past myself and other brewers have just been drinking mildly (or more) oxidised beers and just not known. I feel that I owe it to myself to brew the freshest tasting beer I can.

12 minutes ago, PhilboBaggins said:

Dry hopping during active fermentation the way I have been doing has not been my O2 issue I think.

Well i will follow with interest. I am far happier with my second attempt at pressure ferment and the only time this baby will see any air is when it hits the glass.   

Edited by MartyG1525230263

@PhilboBaggins Just an observation mate and thinking out aloud here.  Might pay to turn your spunding pressure gauge around to the top of the fittings to stop any condensation running down into your gauge works and stuffing it/ shorten its life.  The way you have it hanging underneath there is maybe asking for trouble.  I know its not the lowest part or point in the fittings and there is only a very tiny hole into the gauge but!  Height in the fridge looks an issue for you hence that is where it is.

When i dry hop, just release the pressure slowly then unscrew the gas in ball lock, drop in hops then do up ball lock again, gas up burping a few times.  Next day after this dry hop or any final dry hop I release the pressure really quickly this time, this make all the hop matter and yeast stir up to the top again.  Then gas up again, burping a few times then set it back at chosen psi.

Found its a good way to get the dry hops to mix really well. Two batches using this technique and no problems so far so will continue as it works for me.

Yes floating dip tube only sucks a tiny bit of scum from edge when first drawn but after that all is good.  Note I pump up the pressure to 12.5 psi before the cold crash, mine when it gets down to 2 C the pressure has shrunk back to 2.5 psi so quite some suction in this process.  I leave it at that for 7 days then pump it back up to around 10 psi to do the pressure transfer.

Cheers - AL

35 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@PhilboBaggins Just an observation mate and thinking out aloud here.  Might pay to turn your spunding pressure gauge around to the top of the fittings to stop any condensation running down into your gauge works and stuffing it/ shorten its life.  The way you have it hanging underneath there is maybe asking for trouble.  I know its not the lowest part or point in the fittings and there is only a very tiny hole into the gauge but!  Height in the fridge looks an issue for you hence that is where it is.

When i dry hop, just release the pressure slowly then unscrew the gas in ball lock, drop in hops then do up ball lock again, gas up burping a few times.  Next day after this dry hop or any final dry hop I release the pressure really quickly this time, this make all the hop matter and yeast stir up to the top again.  Then gas up again, burping a few times then set it back at chosen psi.

Found its a good way to get the dry hops to mix really well. Two batches using this technique and no problems so far so will continue as it works for me.

Yes floating dip tube only sucks a tiny bit of scum from edge when first drawn but after that all is good.  Note I pump up the pressure to 12.5 psi before the cold crash, mine when it gets down to 2 C the pressure has shrunk back to 2.5 psi so quite some suction in this process.  I leave it at that for 7 days then pump it back up to around 10 psi to do the pressure transfer.

Cheers - AL

That's why I have always loved it here. Great advice delivered with zero condescension. I will rotate the valve as much as I can to stop getting moisture in for sure. And your dry hopping advice is gold too.

Thanks so much mate. 😊

• Like 1