Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Brewing my second lager in a keg, under pressure, with spunding valve. Here is today's recipe:

Spunded Lager #2
Tettnang & Willamette Lager
Feb 23, 2020.

1.7kg Mexican Cervesa
700gm Canadian 2-row 25.2%
125gm Munich 10L 4.5%
250gm Carapils 9.0%
250 gm dextrose 9.0%
10mL Clarity Ferm
10gm Mt Hood x 20 minute boil 
35gm Mt Hood @ 185F x 20 minutes
11gm Tettnang DH @ 48 hours post pitch x 3 days - for bio-transformation
11gm Willamette DH @ 48 hours post pitchx 3 days - for bio-transformation
10mL Clarity Ferm
17L RO water
Portion of WLP802 slurry from the first batch use to make a SNS starter. Also pitched starter with ~1.5gm of Lalvin 71B-1122 wine yeast

OG 1.047; FG 1.010; ABV 4.9% keg; IBU 33.8; EBC 6.1; BU:GU 0.71

Trying a bit of an experiment with this brew, adding a bit of a wine yeast which is known to be a producer of beta-glucosidase, hoping that it will help with bio-transformation. This technique is being experimented with by makers of NEIPAs. Most noble type hops, including the ones in this recipe, are high linalool (woody lavender) a small percentage of which can be bio-transformed into A-terpineol (lilac) by yeast. Bio-transformation can also change geraniol (floral, rose-like) into B-citronellol (lemon-lime), but noble hops are low in geraniol....This time around I am not adding a second dose of dry hops post-fermentation; I want to see what this does first. Of course wine yeast are adapted to ferment in wine, and wort is different, so it might not be that effective, but I am curious. In any case, it isn't going to hurt anything. 71B is the only wine yeast that does not kill brewers yeast and is also POF negative, so it is okay for co-fermentation. 

BTW, I originally intended to dry hop this with Tettnang and Hallertau, but my LHBS was sold out of Hallertau and I had to make a substitution. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 4

I'm still trying to work out what beers I like as far as the traditional types go - HB is so different to commercial tap beer that I'm still working through the types and will be for some time.

So this is labelled as Old Ale/English Strong Ale, simply because when I put it together, that is the type that gave me all greens.

Just waiting for the hop boil to finish...

image.png.e6e986231619ac1a775661ed5fd7de38.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Brewing my second lager in a keg, under pressure, with spunding valve.

Not sure what the reason for the spunding valve is. Dont get me wrong i have one i used once. Found the beer not carbonated enough to drink.

Other pressure ferments i just let the inbuilt prv do its job. Beer was perfect.

@Titan You ferment under pressure too? Cool.

The reason for the spunding valve is to be able to dial in the pressure. Above 15PSI and it may inhibit the yeast too much. But as you found, 15PSI at room temperature probably isn't enough to carbonate the beer to a decent serving pressure, once the keg is chilled. Using 10PSI, I have to top up the pressure from a tank after chilling. 

One video I saw said that 10-12PSI is a good range for most yeast, and said not to go above 15PSI in any event, for the sake of yeast health. He seemed quite experienced, so I took his word for it.

Another site said that above 15PSI you ought to wear safety glasses, in case something goes wrong, but I don't know about that. Just passing that along.

Cheers,

Christina.

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Hopefully double brew day today. 
This is the first single hop beer Cashmere.

Ive been trying to get a hold of this hop for a couple of years now. 

Sounds interesting.

Tropical coconut, peach and tangerine filled out the aroma, while a similar flavor profile paired coconut, melon, tangerine and lemongrass

I reckon you'll know what it brings with 350 grams in there! Good stuff Captain.

4 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Hopefully double brew day today. 
This is the first single hop beer Cashmere.

Ive been trying to get a hold of this hop for a couple of years now. 

50934F5D-D99B-42ED-BFFA-2A983F80693A.png

E88516E6-3244-48E0-A032-27C0489AC1C9.png

I could be wrong here, but I don't believe I have seen anyone in this forum use cashmere before...if there was one or two I would say @Ben 10Or maybe @King Ruddager

But I don't remember, I cannot wait to hear how this tastes and smells in the glass versus the descriptions. Nice looking recipe to. The gypsum is in the recipe to help make the hops pop more and to help with PH? One last question, how clean is the Voss yeast? I know that the Kveiking imperial yeast can be fruity as, what have you noticed with the Voss?

19 minutes ago, Norris! said:

The gypsum is in the recipe to help make the hops pop more and to help with PH? 

Gypsum is for hop pop. 

21 minutes ago, Norris! said:

One last question, how clean is the Voss yeast? I know that the Kveiking imperial yeast can be fruity as, what have you noticed with the Voss?

The opshaug Kveik strain is pretty orange peel. In the last beer I did it was fantastic. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

@Norris!

I think Lusty has used cashmere. 
The yeast is not right, I’m using the ohpange  strain. It was just the only Kveik strain I had in BeerSmith. 

I stuffed up the batch size too ha ha it’s going to work out around 6.5%

I should of known of @BeerlustHad given it a go, I just didn't want to puff up his sails anymore.

The bitterness should help some, about 38ibus it might sneak in at 40 or so, who knows until you taste it, but in the 40's it is closer to .6bu/GU I believe(I didn't punch it in to anything)  than .5 which can be sweet.  My last batch I blew my OG out also, maybe the acidulated malt, but you use that all the time, who knows, usually it is a good thing but with a carefully constructed recipe it can give me the sh1Ts. I don't won't more alcohol, usually, I just want, what I intended to build.  That big dry hop will help it out. Stills looks good.

Edited by Norris!

3 hours ago, Popo said:

Sounds interesting.

Tropical coconut, peach and tangerine filled out the aroma, while a similar flavor profile paired coconut, melon, tangerine and lemongrass

I reckon you'll know what it brings with 350 grams in there! Good stuff Captain.

Yeah looking forward to it popo. 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:56 PM, The Captain!! said:

......was involved in a bus accident. 

......Shoulder is rooted, back kidney region has a head size "black as a black cat in a coal mine at midnight" bruise and can't move much.....

On 2/21/2020 at 9:05 PM, The Captain!! said:

.....literally I was the only person hurt.

A 120 kg bloke cleaned me up as the bus braked suddenly and he fell forward, landing on me and pulling me forward with my arm still holding onto the seat I was sitting on. Series of unfortunate events. 

$600 in medical bills so far, $100 bus ticket, $whatever for the beerfest ticket, $150 on beer for the day.......

On 2/21/2020 at 9:38 PM, The Captain!! said:

.....This is one of the bruises a couple of days after.

26119D66-0069-43A7-A4C7-3163B4704C67.jpeg

Aye, Skipper... but can you sing us a song before you go.....😜

Edited by Worthog
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I think Lusty has used cashmere. 

5 hours ago, Norris! said:

I should of known of @BeerlustHad given it a go, I just didn't want to puff up his sails anymore.

I haven't used it, but have an unopened foil baggy in the back of the fridge atm.

In terms of versatility, it has some very impressive numbers across the board for a dual purpose hop. How impressive though I guess I'll find out.

Certainly looking forward to using it though.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

I haven't used it, but have an unopened foil baggy in the back of the fridge atm.

In terms of versatility, it has some very impressive numbers across the board for a dual purpose hop. How impressive though I guess I'll find out.

Certainly looking forward to using it though.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Obviously will let you know how this bad boy goes.  only a few days away now.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Worthog said:

😉😀...Cheers.  I'm 120kg, but no. 🤣

It's a good thing me, you, & that fat bloke that cleaned him up weren't all sitting behind Capt. on that bus or he may not be here today to talk about it! LOL! 😂

Cheers & happy trails,

Lusty.

• Haha 4

On 2/24/2020 at 9:10 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

@Titan You ferment under pressure too? Cool.

Yes but i use the fermentasaurus with the pressure kit. The PRV on this is set about 20 PSI from memory. So i just let this manage the pressure. I have also had some wake up calls when dry hopping. One time i added the hops via the yeast collection bottle. What a mess. Soon as i opened the valve beer started to foam and relief valve opened spraying jets of beer all over.

• Like 1