Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          55.6 %        1.63 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          44.4 %        1.30 L        
20.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min                Hop           3          19.9 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
20.00 Items      Lemon Myrtle (Boil)                              Herb          5          -             -             

Forbidden Fruit Yeast

• Like 4

NEIPA

21lts

1.4kg American Pale Ale

350g Flaked oats

100g  Crystal Medium

500g Coopers LDM

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale

200g Unrefined coconut sugar

40g Cascade 40g Centennial 20g Azacca at flameout

30g Cascade  30g Centennial  40g Azacca dry hop day 2

30g Cascade  30g Centennial  40g Azacca dry hop day 4

• Like 2

Been a while between posts. Ive had a difficult week.

Went to the beerfest in SW WA and on the way back was involved in a bus accident. 

Shoulder is rooted, back kidney region has a head size "black as a black cat in a coal mine at midnight" bruise and can't move much.

As for a brew day, going to be happening in the next couple of days.

Probably just a pale and an stout or esb.

• Sad 8

5 hours ago, ozlizard said:

NEIPA

21lts

1.4kg American Pale Ale

350g Flaked oats

100g  Crystal Medium

500g Coopers LDM

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale

200g Unrefined coconut sugar

40g Cascade 40g Centennial 20g Azacca at flameout

30g Cascade  30g Centennial  40g Azacca dry hop day 2

30g Cascade  30g Centennial  40g Azacca dry hop day 4

That looks like an awesome recipe. I never used coconut sugar so I won't say anything about that, but I really like the hop selection. Centennial and azacca are in my top 5 of favourites and cascade is, well nothing needs to be said about that staple hop.

Your malt bill looks like it will handle whatever you throw at it with some cool twists. Really nice looking recipe.

1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

Been a while between posts. Ive had a difficult week.

Went to the beerfest in SW WA and on the way back was involved in a bus accident. 

Shoulder is rooted, back kidney region has a head size "black as a black cat in a coal mine at midnight" bruise and can't move much.

As for a brew day, going to be happening in the next couple of days.

Probably just a pale and an stout or esb.

Jeez mate. All good your out of it relatively unscathed. Hope everyone else in the bus had nothing more than a few bumps and bruises.

• Like 1

Just now, Greeny1525229549 said:

Jeez mate. All good your out of it relatively unscathed. Hope everyone else in the bus had nothing more than a few bumps and bruises.

literally I was the only person hurt.

A 120 kg bloke cleaned me up as the bus braked suddenly and he fell forward, landing on me and pulling me forward with my arm still holding onto the seat I was sitting on. Series of unfortunate events. 

$600 in medical bills so far, $100 bus ticket, $whatever for the beerfest ticket, $150 on beer for the day. Being there enjoying some really good beer. Priceless!

Nothing broken , no ligaments torn, just sore as buggery, yes, I said that!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

A 120 kg bloke cleaned me up as the bus braked suddenly and he fell forward, landing on me and pulling me forward with my arm still holding onto the seat I was sitting on. Series of unfortunate events. 

$600 in medical bills so far, $100 bus ticket, $whatever for the beerfest ticket, $150 on beer for the day. Being there enjoying some really good beer. Priceless!

Jeez. You got hit by a front rower. Wounds heal mate. Something to laugh about in a few weeks when it doesn't hurt anymore. ☺

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Jeez. You got hit by a front rower. Wounds heal mate. Something to laugh about in a few weeks when it doesn't hurt anymore. ☺

I’ve laughed about it already. It wasn’t funny at the time, woke up in the morning looking at my bruises and had to have a giggle. 
This is one of the bruises a couple of days after.

26119D66-0069-43A7-A4C7-3163B4704C67.jpeg

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Fark mate. What a dose. Hope you’re on the mend and it could have been worse 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

Your malt bill looks like it will handle whatever you throw at it with some cool twists. Really nice looking recipe.

Thanks Norris, but I can't take credit for it, the basic recipe is from Gash, with a few twists from me. Be interesting to see if the coconut sugar adds anything discernible. The hops smell pretty good already. Just about to add the yeast as it's down to pitching temp. Yeast is White Labs East Coast Ale.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Nice colour and about right PH for this brew.

20200222_073518.jpg

2020-02-22 08.16.39.jpg

I agree, the crocs are a nice colour. Matching coloured socks would help complete the look though. 😜

Seriously though, looks good & looms as a very nice beer for a "leftovers" beer.

Best of luck with it,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I agree, the crocs are a nice colour. Matching coloured socks would help complete the look though. 😜

Seriously though, looks good & looms as a very nice beer for a "leftovers" beer.

Best of luck with it,

Lusty.

I am getting a complex about my crocs! 🤣

Cheers Lusty, I hope it is alright and slightly different from what is fermenting now, slightly.

Edited by Norris!

About a 3hr 45min brew day with an 80 min mash due to doing some chores. I guess the extra time bumped my expected efficiency up to 77%, which blew out my OG. Will see how it tastes going into the fermenter.

20200222_104003.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1

Making a duvel today

30L rainwater

5kg Pilsener malt mashed at 64c

50gm Saaz at 60 mins

20gm Saaz at 10 mins

1kg dextrose at 10 mins

Teaspoon of irish moss at 10 mins

2.5L starter of WY1388. Pitched at 17c. Rise to 24 or 25 over 5 or so days. 

Always worry about ph with a pilsener only mash even with the acidic rainwater but its come in there or there abouts.

15823418264501973859517.jpg

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 5

Riwaka Gold

• 2.4kg GF American Ale Malt
  • 400g GF Munich Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 550g LME
  • 20g Green Bullet @45mins
  • 25g Riwaka @10 mins
  • 25g Riwaka @FO
  • 5g Gypsum
  • M42 Yeast

All went according to plan expect for a ridiculously high efficiency figure again.  I used to routinely use a 3:1 water:grist ratio but after this mash and a previous one it's starting to look like the 4:1 ratio I've been using is actually yielding a noticeably better result.   Initially intended as a 20litre batch it's ended up with potential ABV quite a bit higher than I wanted so I've made this up to 23 litres.  I had a bit of leeway with the bittering so losing a few IBU's as a result of the dilution is not a problem.   Now... do I want to dry hop this one....hmmmm.... ?   🤔

• Like 1

Simple Pilsner SMaSH

Still dialling in my system and brewing basic beers at the moment as a learning exercise

• 3.2kg Pilsner Malt
  • 65°C Mash for 60 minutes, 75°C for 10 minutes
  • 90 minute boil
  • 40g Hallertau @60
  • Harvested MJ Bavarian Lager yeast

Forgot to take a OG reading.  But all is okay, I cubed it for tomorrow.  I can take a reading when I pitch it.  I will split this one into two of the cute baby craft kit fermenters (I can fit both of them in my temperature controlled chest freezer).  One of them I will (speaking of dry hop and Riwaka @BlackSands), hit with a Riwaka dry hop, NZ Pilsner style.  I have got 68g.  Should I use it all or be a bit restrained for what will be about a 9L ferment?  The other I will leave dry hop free.  It will be nice to compare these two.

Sorry no @Norris! Dealership Precision Lining up Brewing Equipment Team photos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Another harvest ale today.

I've decided to do a run of Dr Smurto's Golden Ales with our home grown hops. Mainly to determine what varieties to keep and what to cull to make way for a centennial or two. Todays is the Rye version as follows:

2.75 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                
0.95 kg               Rye Malt (9.3 EBC)                             
0.95 kg               Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC)                            
0.25 kg               Carabohemian (180.0 EBC)                     
10.00 g               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min     
200.00 g             Chinook [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  5.0 

Mash is underway now and once sparged I'll pick the Chinook. Bit of an estimate with the Chinook alpha and will need to covert the dry leaf amount of 200g to the wet equivalent.

• Like 4