Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

3 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I bought a battery pH meter on ebay back when I had my aquaponics set up - came with calibration solutions. But stick in in the liquid, turn it on and instant reads - cost like $8 from memory - little yellow rectangle thing with a cap over the sensor.

Reminds me too much of work 😜

Naaargh fair call JMan... probably should do something about it at some stage.  Just is more STUFF.

So when did you swap Aquaponics for Brewaponics ?   ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Reminds me too much of work 😜

Naaargh fair call JMan... probably should do something about it at some stage.  Just is more STUFF.

So when did you swap Aquaponics for Brewaponics ?   ; )

I couldn't justify bringing the IBCs and gear with me when we left Bendigo a couple of years back so I sold it all. Still to get an aquaponics set up here in MB but working on it.  I had 40+cm Tandanus and Silver Perch in the tank when it went. le sigh...

So wasn't really a swap - had thought about brewing while in Vic but Bendigo had a heap of craft brew places so urgency not high. Closest to craft in MB is Coopers XPA on tap and bottleshop prices are way beyond my pocket as a steady diet.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I couldn't justify bringing the IBCs and gear with me when we left Bendigo a couple of years back so I sold it all. Still to get an aquaponics set up here in MB but working on it.  I had 40+cm Tandanus and Silver Perch in the tank when it went. le sigh...

So wasn't really a swap - had thought about brewing while in Vic but Bendigo had a heap of craft brew places so urgency not high. Closest to craft in MB is Coopers XPA on tap and bottleshop prices are way beyond my pocket as a steady diet.

Hey journeyman. Can you give me some tips where to go for craft beer in Bendigo? I travel there ocassionally for work.

Redback Pale Ale (V2.0)

20 Litre Batch

• 2.6kg GF Ale Malt
  • 400g GF Redback Malt
  • 550g LME
  • 20g Green Bullet @40mins
  • 25g Wakatu @10mins
  • 25g Taiheke @5 mins
  • 25g Wakatu - dry hop
  • 25g Taiheke Dry hop
  • 5g Gypsum
  • M42 Yeast

Expected:  | ABV=4.5% | EBC=13.3 | IBU=41.5 |

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey journeyman. Can you give me some tips where to go for craft beer in Bendigo? I travel there ocassionally for work.

Best place is the Goldmines Hotel, near the start of Marong Rd. It closed but last time through I was told it re-opened. Regular changes of what's on tap but always good.  I don't know about since the re-opening but prices were always good there - some of the others put on craft but it cost. At a time when normal tap beer was (say) $8 a Vic pint, they'd be charging $10 for a schooner.

I tended to stay away from places that thought craft beer was adding a fat yak tap. 😄 

Closer into centre there's the Rifle Brigade hotel - usually had a couple of craft taps running, Bridge Rd or similar. 

The Criterion used to have all craft but the owner was too much into drugs and screaming at his wife and staff so it was an unpleasant place to go.  Pity, cos it was the closest craft place to where I lived.

Edited by Journeyman

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Best place is the Goldmines Hotel, near the start of Marong Rd. It closed but last time through I was told it re-opened. Regular changes of what's on tap but always good.  I don't know about since the re-opening but prices were always good there - some of the others put on craft but it cost. At a time when normal tap beer was (say) $8 a Vic pint, they'd be charging $10 for a schooner.

I tended to stay away from places that thought craft beer was adding a fat yak tap. 😄 

Closer into centre there's the Rifle Brigade hotel - usually had a couple of craft taps running, Bridge Rd or similar. 

The Criterion used to have all craft but the owner was too much into drugs and screaming at his wife and staff so it was an unpleasant place to go.  Pity, cos it was the closest craft place to where I lived.

Cheers mate. Been to the rifle brigade but yet to get to the other two so will try them out next trip. The Cambrian hotel which is only a walk up from the hotel i usually stay at has a few craft beers but the food was below average. Would go back there for beer but not food.

12 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

The Cambrian hotel which is only a walk up from the hotel i usually stay at has a few craft beers but the food was below average. Would go back there for beer but not food.

Cambrian... that was it, NOT the Criterion. My bad... 

Shows how much I didn't like the place - blotted it from memory. 😄 Watching the owner/chef scream at his (unpaid) girlfriend for something HE hadn't done was the final straw for me, craft beer or not.

Edited by Journeyman

On 2/2/2020 at 11:13 AM, BlackSands said:

Redback Pale Ale (V2.0)

20 Litre Batch

• 2.6kg GF Ale Malt
  • 400g GF Redback Malt
  • 550g LME
  • 20g Green Bullet @40mins
  • 25g Wakatu @10mins
  • 25g Taiheke @5 mins
  • 25g Wakatu - dry hop
  • 25g Taiheke Dry hop
  • 5g Gypsum
  • M42 Yeast

Expected:  | ABV=4.5% | EBC=13.3 | IBU=41.5 |

Well, the efficiency weirdness continues!  Last brew was stupidly high at what seemed to be close to 90%!  Crazy.  This time it was closer to 53%.   Usually it's around 65% give or take be I've been having some really wild variations lately... with absolutely no explanation, particularly given the process is the same each time.  🙄  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/3/2020 at 9:58 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Threw down a toucan stout today to age for the coming colder months 

2 cans coopers stout

Will be interesting to hear what you think about the Toucan in the keg system mate... compared to bottles previously... please report back at the appropriate time ; )

Just be careful this little fella doesn't get into your kegerator that's all ; )

image.png.ac7836e2538c5acb30c2c72c69e37701.png

• Haha 1

Started collating ingredients for Coopers' Pavlova Pale Ale and Fruit Salad Ale.  Sanitising everything tonight, visiting my LHBS tomorrow to collect the rest, then Friday night is brew night!  First attempt at using hops, and also my first use of a little wine fridge I got to control temps in the small FV.  Waiting on the inkbird to be able to fire up the big fridge, so the Fruit Salad will essentially be at ambient temps (in a big tub of cold water to keep it more stabler!)

Couldn't do it tonight as I have drumming, and my inaugural Canberra Brewers meeting tomorrow night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

image.png.eeaa55714ca5b036749f7ba066e3c8a8.png

As it turned out, the drumming didn't happen due to the smoke that crept up from the Orroral Valley fire, and blanketed Canberra.  So I swung past my LHBS, got all the ingredients, and did some brewing!  First time using hops, so looking forward to how it comes out - smells bloody nice though!  Also received my 2 inkbird controllers, so I now have the fermenting vessel happily blooping at 24 degrees!  The wine fridge is perfect for the craft brew sized fermenting vessel, will need to use the inkbird if it needs anything above 18 degrees, as the thermostat settings only go from 11-18 - it is meant to keep wine at a consistent temp, rather than actually chill it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Waynealford said:

As it turned out, the drumming didn't happen due to the smoke that crept up from the Orroral Valley fire, and blanketed Canberra.  So I swung past my LHBS, got all the ingredients, and did some brewing!  First time using hops, so looking forward to how it comes out - smells bloody nice though!  Also received my 2 inkbird controllers, so I now have the fermenting vessel happily blooping at 24 degrees!  The wine fridge is perfect for the craft brew sized fermenting vessel, will need to use the inkbird if it needs anything above 18 degrees, as the thermostat settings only go from 11-18 - it is meant to keep wine at a consistent temp, rather than actually chill it!

Wheat yeast are you using? 24C while OK is usualy a tad high for ale yeasts.

4 minutes ago, Waynealford said:

US05, as per LHBS suggestion, as the alternative to the Coopers Commercial Culture.  Plus whatever came with  the can...….

Get it down to 18C mate, you'll get a much nicer product. Unless you are purposely trying to get some phenols/flavours from fermenting at a higher temp?

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 1

Brew day! 🙂

I'm cheating today as am a bit time poor. Time for an IPA.

MJ's Simcoe Single Hop craft pouch 2.5kgs
Coopers LDM 1kg
Dextrose 100gms
Medium Crystal grain 100gms
Simcoe & Centennial 15gms each steeped with the grain
Centennial, Riwaka, Motueka 25gms each dry hopped
US-05 yeast
Brewed to 23 litres
Ferment @ 18°C
OG = approx. 1.053 FG = unsure
IBU claims 48 - 56
ABV claims 5.6%

To hit 5.6% it'll have to attenuate down to about 1.010. I'm guessing they've calculated including natural priming. I'm expecting FG to be approx. 1.013-14 & 5.2% ABV.

I'll probably up the dry hop weight to nose bleed level as I have heaps of hops in my fridge atm.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Brew day! 🙂

I'm cheating today as am a bit time poor. Time for an IPA.

MJ's Simcoe Single Hop craft pouch 2.5kgs
Coopers LDM 1kg
Dextrose 100gms
Medium Crystal grain 100gms
Simcoe & Centennial 15gms each steeped with the grain
Centennial, Riwaka, Motueka 25gms each dry hopped
US-05 yeast
Brewed to 23 litres
Ferment @ 18°C
OG = approx. 1.053 FG = unsure
IBU claims 48 - 56
ABV claims 5.6%

To hit 5.6% it'll have to attenuate down to about 1.010. I'm guessing they've calculated including natural priming. I'm expecting FG to be approx. 1.013-14 & 5.2% ABV.

I'll probably up the dry hop weight to nose bleed level as I have heaps of hops in my fridge atm.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Dang Lusty, that looks good. Love your hop combo. I have yet to use Riwaka, but I really want to.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

That just made up my mind for my next dry hop. 

So I notice that the recipe has Caramalt. Just checking I have read that Caramalt and Crystal are pretty much the same thing.  Just need to use a Crystal with similar EBC.  Or am I mistaken and there is a difference?

8 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

So I notice that the recipe has Caramalt. Just checking I have read that Caramalt and Crystal are pretty much the same thing.  Just need to use a Crystal with similar EBC.  Or am I mistaken and there is a difference?

Yep, caramalt is a light crystal.

52 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

In these heavier hopped beers I like for there to be a small amount of sweetness there to balance the bitterness. Caramalt is very light and the sweetness is not caramel. 
I don’t want it to taste crystally (caramel) just have a touch of sweetness, like light honey or white sugar over brown sugar.

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

Dang Lusty, that looks good. Love your hop combo. I have yet to use Riwaka, but I really want to.

Been quite a while since I've done a kit n kilo brew. I reckon it was in the FV & yeast pitched in around 45mins. 30mins of that was the grain/hop steep! 😁

The trio dry hop should match up with the kit Simcoe flavours pretty well I hope. You'll love Riwaka once you've tried it.

Cheers,

Lusty.