Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

On 3/10/2020 at 1:51 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

When you opened the FV to add the day 2 hops, how exactly did you do it? How many PSI are you using for the ferment?

During my second batch fermented under pressure (I used a keg) I wanted to add dry hops of day 2. I was fermenting under 10PSI. I released the pressure with the PRV and opened the lid. This immediately resulted in beer rising up and boiling out of the keg. Did anything like that happen to you? Turns out that batch was contaminated. I am not sure if that was the cause of the boil over or if it was the release of the pressure, but I am scared to try it again.

For my current batch I am going to wait until after I have cold crashed before adding dry hops as I figure the cold temperature will keep the CO2 in solution better. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Hi Christina.

I spoke too soon. When I went to add my second dry hop I got the exact result you reported. Having loads of headspace I didn't lose any, but a good portion of my hops are now plastered up the wall of my Snub Nose.

I spoke to a friend who ferments at 5 PSI and he says if he's gentle with the PRV he can get around this.

I've dropped mine to 3 or 4 PSI and may remove it from the fridge this evening and try swirling some of the hops down into the beer again, but then again I may just chalk it up to my first pressure ferment and be happy that it's experience gained.

Are you aware of many other users here who ferment and dry hop under pressure? I'll have a quick search, but may start a topic if I don't find one.

Cheers

Phil

29 minutes ago, PhilboBaggins said:

Are you aware of many other users here who ferment and dry hop under pressure?

Hi PhilboBaggins. So you had the same experience.  Too bad. 

I am not sure how many others there are who dry hop under pressure but MartyG, Greeny, Titan, yourself, Ibooz2, and myself come to mind. Ibooz2 seems to have a bit more experience than the rest of us.  Go ahead and start a topic Philbo; some others may come forward.

Cheers,

Christina. 

Edited by ChristinaS1

Will be brewing this tomorrow. 

As the names suggest looking for an Old School malt driven Australian Ale.  It will be single hopped with PoR and fermented with Notts.  I hope this has pleanty of body and a hint of German ale about it with the use of the 9% melanoidin.  The 1st draft of this had some Carapils and roasted barley but dropped them and increased the medium crystal to get the colour and background sweetness I was after.    

Dulong Olde School.PNG

• Like 2

I'll be interested in your tasting notes of this one Marty.

48 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

...The 1st draft of this had some Carapils and roasted barley but dropped them and increased the medium crystal to get the colour and background sweetness I was after. 

I'm honest enough to say I haven't used Melanoidin Malt much at all to understand it's true characteristics, but given it is classed as a specialty malt & does carry some level of sweetness, it'll be interesting how the combined weight of this & the crystal malt (just over 600gms) presents in what is essentially a mid-strength beer. How your mash temp & the Nottingham yeast deal with it will be interesting to me at least.

Best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

41 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

... Melanoidin Malt ... as a specialty malt & does carry some level of sweetness, it'll be interesting how the combined weight of this & the crystal malt (just over 600gms)

The readings I have done on melanoidin's use state that is can be used for as much of the 20% of the grain bill with the crystal fraction it comes in at 14.5% . I think the a healthy dose of Notts and the pressure ferment @ 12.5psi will cope with it.   

4 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

The readings I have done on melanoidin's use state that is can be used for as much of the 20% of the grain bill with the crystal fraction it comes in at 14.5% . I think the a healthy dose of Notts and the pressure ferment @ 12.5psi will cope with it.   

I think you'll be OK, but have a natural curiosity of how this will end up at the glass. If you look at what Melanoidin is traditionally used in/for, it's heavily malt forward Belgian styled beers for the most part. Your use of it here may well positively help to make for a very full-filling mid-strength beer. 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

very full-filling mid-strength beer.

That is the plan. I may even up the OG a few points to get it into the 4.1-4.2% range.  The one thing I do know the beers I have been making the last 6 weeks with a Wheat and Caraplis fraction have been very very good. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

...The one thing I do know the beers I have been making the last 6 weeks with a Wheat and Caraplis fraction have been very very good. 

Agreed, at the right levels they do work well in conjunction with one another. I'm glad you've found a nice balance.

7 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

That is the plan. I may even up the OG a few points to get it into the 4.1-4.2% range.

I have a really nice amber ale recipe (IMHO) I make to approx. 4.4% ABV. I reckon it drinks really well at that level & the malt & hop flavours blend nicely. Under judging it was scored down slightly because it wasn't up in the 5.0%+ ABV range that is more desired for the class, but still scored well in the upper levels of judging. I'm happy with it @ 4.4% ABV.

One of the best challenges for a brewer of any class is to be able to produce a lovely malt &/or hop flavoured beer at a lower ABV% level that deceives the drinker into believing they are drinking a fuller flavoured, higher ABV% beer.

Do this well, & it is certainly a feather in your brewing arsenal cap.

Lusty.

• Like 1

After making a few lagers and being frustrated with the amount of time they take, I'm back to making a few ale brews to restock my cupboards. It was like having a toilet paper sales frenzy at home. I'd make lager and as soon as it was ready it was vanishing as quickly as it appeared.

So I just KnK'ed an APA, BE2 with a steep of POR hops. This has been my go-to brew for awhile now as it always seems to turn out well.

In the second fermenter, a Dark Ale tin with 1.5kg LME. I'm interested to see how it turns out. I'd normally add BE3 to this tin and I've always enjoyed it but I decided to get away from missionary position (in a brewing sense) and try something KinKy. (See what I did there? KnK? KinKy? Get it?😂😂)

By the way, I've set the Inkbird to ferment at 19C. That's not too cool for Coopers ale kit yeast, is it?

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Recipe: Pacific Kveik
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 19.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 63.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          72.1 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          18.0 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          9.0 %         0.33 L        
0.05 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         4          0.9 %         0.03 L        
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
80.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           6          37.0 IBUs     -             
56.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           7          15.3 IBUs     -             
26.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           8          11.4 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Yep love the colour, somewhere between 22-25 EBC?  That is the sort of colour I am chasing for my 'holy grail'  the 1960's and 70's  Reschs clone.  

Beer smith tells me it’s 34ebc 🤷‍♂️

i had a reschs draught a few weeks ago at the pacific hotel in Yamba.... it definitely wasn’t this dark. 

Just cubed a batch of... something. 

Nelson Something

2.4 kg Pale Malt

1.6 Wheat

8g Amarillo @ 60

10g Amarillo & 30g Nelson Sauvin @ flameout.

OG 1.048    IBU's 30ish

Not sure on dry hopping amounts yet but will favour Nelson with some more Amarillo.

The ferment fridge is occupied with a couple of kegs so I might even ferment at ambient with some Voss kviek I've got in the freezer.

• Like 2

Kegged my German Bock last night, looking forward to this one.

Been flat out with work so I threw 2 K & K,s down last night with a view to Easter.
Coopers Real Ale, 200g Crystal, B2 and Galaxy Hops To give it a better taste as The Real Ale is a bit bland so a Coopers Galaxy Ale so to speak, big fan of the Galaxy Hop.

Also a Morgan’s Pacific Pale Ale with Malt & Dextrose, have brewed this before just as it is and it is a really nice Ale to have on a Saturday arvo watching the footy.

Used US-05 Yeast in both brews, fermenting in fridge at 19 degrees, go you good thing.

Cheers RD44

• Like 3

I am brewing a tropical ale called Trophic Cascade, that is not a misspelling, using lallemand kveik Voss yeast. I will ferment it at 35c to try to get some citrus. Using cascade hop flowers and Ella hops for the 1st time. The cascade flowers will go in contained at flameout and the Ella pellets into the cube, just because of the their cohumulene levels and trying to control the bitterness. I will be watching the cube temp closely just to keep a record, will drop the wort in at 80c.

Quick and easy batch, my efficiency is coming in around 78%, which was higher than I expected, 75%,  but should still be a nice easy drinker. I have been doing 80 min mashes with 10 min mashouts, cleaning as I go and preparing everything ahead of time when I can, like weighing out the grains. I should finish up in about 3hr 45min maybe 4 hours. Not bad, but would of been better if I had mowed the front yard during the boil.

Good brewing

Norris

Screenshot_20200314-121347_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20200314-121400_Firefox.jpg

• Like 7

Recipe: Hoppy Belgian
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Belgian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          77.8 %        2.28 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          22.2 %        0.65 L        
10.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min             Hop           3          11.6 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
20.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min Hop           5          7.0 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Chinook [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           6          9.1 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           7          9.3 IBUs      -             
Belgian Pale Yeast
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 5

Bit of a late Brew Day but not a bad way to spend a Saturday evening ; )

Got some " Sasha Last Night on Earth" pumping in the background 😝 (Thanks @Ben 10)

A Lager of sorts... Some Munich, a bit of Barrett Burston Wheat and mostly Wyermann's Bo Pils...  mash at 64 degC.

Boil with Hallertau @60 and then @5 some more Hallertau and a bit of Galaxy...

Smells great.

image.png.7285a044de84f8bcf58b6edd7752c1d8.png

• Like 4