Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 31.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          25.0 %        0.65 L        
25.00 g          Nelson Sauvin [10.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min          Hop           3          31.1 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Saison II Yeast (White Labs #WLP566) [50 Yeast         5          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 5

On 3/13/2020 at 6:15 PM, Titan said:

Planning my brew day for easter long weekend. Bock which will inturn transform to Eisbock. Looking forward to the challenge of freezing of the water off. Any tips appriciated on this one.

Hey mate, not sure if you’ve been watching the bloke on YouTube do the “home brew challenge”

the second last beer he brewed was an eisbock. Probably worth a watch if you havnt already. Just search “home brew challenge”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

Hey mate, not sure if you’ve been watching the bloke on YouTube do the “home brew challenge”

the second last beer he brewed was an eisbock. Probably worth a watch if you havnt already. Just search “home brew challenge”

Will do bud thanks.

I reckon i will do the same and transfer from fv to a keg then keg to keg closed transfer. Surprised they had the source keg out of the freezer for the transfer. Video was a little confusing on this as it first showed transfer hose coming out of the freezer. I presume it remained in the freezer for the duration of the transfer and they only took it out when it was done. Not sure if they gave a fg of the finished product either. Might have to watch again.

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

How do you disguise 12% ABV in a beer? I have a few 8-9% beers here and can't drink them because all I taste is alcohol. I generally object to anything above 7%. 

Not sure about 12%, but the old-school Russian Imperial Stout does a good job of concealing 9.3%.

Having said that, my 2018 Coopers Vintage Ale at 7.5% is all alcohol.

The trick is to get the right balance.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I have a few 8-9% beers here and can't drink them because all I taste is alcohol.

My RIS hit around 12% and was GREAT, the alcohol warmth is definitely a feature in a beer such as that. 
IPAs in the 8% area taste very good, the hops definitely do a very good job of overwhelming the alcohol presence if there is any.

• Like 3

In progress with this...

APA style I think. SWMBO might have to learn to like beer without raw/brown sugar in it if the nutjobs doing the panic buying keep going. 😄 350 g only because I sued raw sugar for the yeast starter.

image.thumb.png.2ff0c8008a1ebcfc901f8f0035e71f63.png

This will also be my first brew with the Inkbird programmed to do all the work for me. (such as it is 😄 ) 

image.png.c8972fbc47f0afbafa09e62912056fbf.png

The last stage (Finings) is set for 10 days, just so the IB stays in control and doesn't switch off if I don't bottle after a couple of days. I've never had a brew NOT be at FG after 5 days so I figure 7 days will cover initial ferment stage. 3 days for dry hops at 14° - again if I miss a day there it will be as it heads for CC so no biggie.

Neat feature - you can set the times to just click over on the end of each stage or, (the one I chose) to start the timer when it REACHES the start temp. Also if power drops out, timer keeps track of the time out and adds it to the stage it is on.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Confused 1

Isolation Ale is brewing now. Hope to be done before 10pm. Trying to get some colour into it, we will see if it turns out red or brown. The caramunich is actually carared but I couldn't see it on Brewfather🙄. If It is red that means the streets are running with blood, if it turns out brown that means everything turned to shit. Fun game, the answer will be revealed in 2 to 3 weeks.

I took some inspiration from the coopers XPA and used simcoe but didn't have lemondrop so went with azacca. I will probably use Nottingham on this batch but might use the kveik slurry, still thinking about it or maybe use some kolsch yeast to ferment it but Nottingham will probably get me the clean taste I want.

I went with a small dry hop because the SMASH I did with Amarillo had a 50g dry hop and 75g late in the boil or whirlpooled and had really good flavour and aroma until the keg kicked, so kind of investigating that a little more. If the samples don't have the aroma and flavour I want I will up the dry hop or add a keg hop. But I am looking at the ratio of late additions to dry hop and the effect on hop fade. Not anything super science like but just a slight adjustment. I would normally go between 4.5g/l and up to 8g/l, so this is a lot less. The 5 min additions are flameout and hop stand is cubed.

PH was slightly high at 5.56 but that is my fault for not checking the apps estimate and just going with my estimate. I doubt it will be a huge concern considering I have only adjusted my PH the last 4 or so brews and the previous ones tasted great to me.

Good brewing,

Norris

2020-03-20 18.51.34.jpg

Screenshot_20200320-185252_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20200320-185303_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

looks like a good beer @Norris! Azacca and Simcoe............Yum!

I think it will be alright, well hope so at least. I havent used Simcoe in like a year so pretty excited about it being back in the brewery/house.

Overshot my OG, again, I will update my software brewhouse efficiency from 70% to 75%, the last two brews have been 78%, but I won't plug that in until I get a third time in a row or close.

The wort looked nice going in to the cube and smelled good also, so should be alright.

Good brewing,

Norris

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 9:49 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

The trick is to get the right balance.

Hey @Aussiekraut and Shamus - it can be a battle - but I reckon Shamus has nailed it... gotta get the right balance.

And I think my AG Double IPA below at 8.1% just managed to sneak that home... was big body and plenty hops and I think that combo narrowly managed to sneak in " good beer taste" over just plain unwanted alc severity... bit like @Ben 10 Benny points out above.

But it definitely was getting closer to that unfortunate territory where alc severity starts to win.  

image.png.e3e4628a889128d9e5a7ba04fe95c639.png

Am thinking too that if you do everything AG and don't boost with Dex or Sugar it might end up being more balanced... be interested to hear what others think of this...

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2

First brew day here since I was on holidays in January. Knocking up a simple pale ale today, starting a bit later than I wanted to but oh well. Keeping this one to 21 litres as I don't have a spare keg to fit any surplus at the moment. Based on my usual 75% brewhouse efficiency. Mashing at 66C for 70 mins then up to 72C for 15 before mashout at 78. Boil time is 75 minutes give or take, depends on the pre-boil volume. I'll likely boil the starter wort up tomorrow so it will be pitched one day next week.

32.00 L Brisbane Water (APA) Water 1 - -
7.56 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
4.89 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
3.56 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
2.62 g Salt (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
4.000 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 6 86.0 % 2.61 L
0.300 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 7 6.5 % 0.20 L
0.250 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 8 5.4 % 0.16 L
0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 9 2.2 % 0.07 L
6.00 g Centennial [10.20 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 10 7.6 IBUs -
20.00 g Amarillo [7.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 5.7 IBUs -
20.00 g Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 8.0 IBUs -
20.00 g Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 13 5.5 IBUs -
10.00 g Vic Secret [19.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 14 5.3 IBUs -
30.00 g Amarillo [7.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 15 2.3 IBUs -
20.00 g Vic Secret [19.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 16 4.2 IBUs -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml]
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:
32.00 L Brisbane Water (APA) Water 1 - -
7.56 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
4.89 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
3.56 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
2.62 g Salt (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
4.000 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 6 86.0 % 2.61 L
0.300 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 7 6.5 % 0.20 L
0.250 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 8 5.4 % 0.16 L
0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 9 2.2 % 0.07 L

How bad is Brissy water? You've got 5 ingredients just for that and STILL add acidulated grain?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey @Aussiekraut and Shamus - it can be a battle - but I reckon Shamus has nailed it... gotta get the right balance.

And I think my AG Double IPA below at 8.1% just managed to sneak that home... was big body and plenty hops and I think that combo narrowly managed to sneak in " good beer taste" over just plain unwanted alc severity... bit like @Ben 10 Benny points out above.

But it definitely was getting closer to that unfortunate territory where alc severity starts to win.  

My 'Kicker' toucan was 8.3 by SS - at the early stage the alcohol was up front but 5 months later it was smooth as... All the bitey was gone and I regretted all the times I had tried it out, leaving me with just 3 to drink. 😞 

7 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I got to take my hat off to you fellas that brew the high ABV stuff.  How many of those would you have in a session. 

I never had 2 bottles but often had another beer first and I don't think I have any that are under 6%.

• Like 1