Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

How bad is Brissy water? You've got 5 ingredients just for that and STILL add acidulated grain?

The water is fine but somewhat misnamed, it's actually distilled water that I'm starting with hence the mineral additions. I just find acid malt an easy way to drop the mash pH more into the optimal range than loading up the water with too many minerals. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I got to take my hat off to you fellas that brew the high ABV stuff.  How many of those would you have in a session. 

Depends what the occasion is, how much one had the day or days before, how long the session is, how full the keg is, how thirsty everyone is, what the FG and body of the brew is, and how much schnapps-rum-whiskey is drunk in concordance with the brews along the way : )

But yeah I would prefer to stay above 5.5% if possible and I believe (may be wrong) that AG beers don't flaunt that nasty Alc tint like non-grain brewskis seem to be able to develop.  I believe that Coopers Sparkling at 5.8% is a good ABV benchmark to start from.

image.png.585ae19ad01776be6ea308f14208fbfa.png

• Like 2

OK, working on this... I asked about warm steep but then remembered I'd seen it somewhere - found it and seems it's OK but under 80° so I've done all the grains in a mash @ 67° - I couldn't think of any reason why not. 😄 

I'm wondering abut the hops. Mainly the mosaic & cascade - would I be better to whirlpool the mosaic for aroma instead of dry hop? I read on here that W hops gives better retention of aroma and flavour? @ChristinaS1 comment maybe? I realise I am probably NOT doing an English bitter with those choices but I do like an IPA/APA and with the amber and crustal rye I think it could work.

image.png.08ad9dd352e14a522cd5fb2d140f49d7.png

Just now, MartyG1525230263 said:

Strange, must be a cultural thing because I think that is way too strong.   

Each to their own I guess Marty...   could be cultural or just plain personal preference...   I do have some workmates who like lighter style brews too...

And I do make some 5.5% 'light beer' too from time to time ; )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

I'm wondering abut the hops. Mainly the mosaic & cascade - would I be better to whirlpool the mosaic for aroma instead of dry hop? I read on here that W hops gives better retention of aroma and flavour? @ChristinaS1 comment maybe? I realise I am probably NOT doing an English bitter with those choices but I do like an IPA/APA and with the amber and crustal rye I think it could work.

I am not sure if whirlpool hops give better retention of aroma and flavour than dry hops, but they do help. Fermentation scrubs away a lot of the individuality of whirlpool hops. A finished beer usually tastes like whatever hops were used for dry hopping, not like the ones used in the whirlpool.  As it stands your beer will taste like Cascade. 

I would suggest moving the 20 minute addition of Cascade up to 5 minutes. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

First brew day here since I was on holidays in January. Knocking up a simple pale ale today, starting a bit later than I wanted to but oh well. Keeping this one to 21 litres as I don't have a spare keg to fit any surplus at the moment. Based on my usual 75% brewhouse efficiency. Mashing at 66C for 70 mins then up to 72C for 15 before mashout at 78. Boil time is 75 minutes give or take, depends on the pre-boil volume. I'll likely boil the starter wort up tomorrow so it will be pitched one day next week.

32.00 L Brisbane Water (APA) Water 1 - -
7.56 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
4.89 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
3.56 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
2.62 g Salt (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
4.000 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 6 86.0 % 2.61 L
0.300 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 7 6.5 % 0.20 L
0.250 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 8 5.4 % 0.16 L
0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 9 2.2 % 0.07 L
6.00 g Centennial [10.20 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 10 7.6 IBUs -
20.00 g Amarillo [7.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 5.7 IBUs -
20.00 g Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 8.0 IBUs -
20.00 g Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 13 5.5 IBUs -
10.00 g Vic Secret [19.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 14 5.3 IBUs -
30.00 g Amarillo [7.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 15 2.3 IBUs -
20.00 g Vic Secret [19.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 16 4.2 IBUs -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml]

That recipe has my mouth watering. Vic secret, centennial and amarillo! Nice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Strange, must be a cultural thing because I think that is way too strong.   

I don't necessarily disagree myself. Not many of my beers get up there, mainly just big dark ales and IPAs if I ever brew them. Otherwise I'm happy with them around the 4-5% mark depending on the beer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I don't necessarily disagree myself. Not many of my beers get up there, mainly just big dark ales and IPAs if I ever brew them. Otherwise I'm happy with them around the 4-5% mark depending on the beer.

Well I'll come for a beer when the Dark Ales and IPAs are on then Kelsey 😜

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I don't necessarily disagree myself.

As a cultural thing I mean folk who live in the Northern parts of this fine country may be conditioned to drinking under 5% brews due to the drinking conditions.  Hard to throw down high ABV brews on a hot summers day when the humidity is in the 80%+ range.  If you get my drift. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just what's in the freezer at the moment haha. 

Got a shithouse mash efficiency for some reason though, only 79.9%, missed target pre boil gravity by about 4 points 😳

I think the hop combo is great but the malt bill is just as nice. Some good ale malt with some Munich and crystal, that will have some good body while showcasing those hops. Really nice recipe, Mate.

As a cultural thing I mean folk who live in the Northern parts of this fine country may be conditioned to drinking under 5% brews due to the drinking conditions.  Hard to throw down high ABV brews on a hot summers day when the humidity is in the 80%+ range.  If you get my drift. 

Mmmm dunno.  Never stopped me when I was up north in 47 degrees in November with a screaming North Westerly as long as the brew was tasty and cold. 

Never could cop XXXX Gold or other similar carp.

Think it was near 40s or over when the Wollemi fire started - the day the Double IPA at 8.1% was cracked... I think it's just personal preference.

image.png.af334d4312ce289f8408283ceb7a7bb5.png

Enough Discussion about beer prefs... it's BREW DAY.... mmm or should I say... Brew NIGHT 🌒

Aaaah but a wise old Brewer told me a long time ago... if the brew is gonna be that black... ye best only brew at night!👽

Gotta love that creamy texture and colour on a Stout Mash in (yellow tone from incandescent bulb ha ha) and plenty black coming through from the Chocolate Malt, CARAFA III, and Roasted Barley... together with BB Wheat and then base malt BB Pale:

image.png.27b3bc28d3e9e3367e56ce08396eaab5.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 5

100%. I brew a lot of high ABV brews but dont drink many of them in summer. They taste totally different on a 35c day to a 16c winter night. And yeah one or two of the 10% jobs are enough especially with work the next day.

• Like 2

Put down a belgian tripel this afternoon. Styled on the westmalle tripel. 11L batch. 3.5kg of pilsener and 500gm homemade clear candi syrup. 30gm of styrian FWH and 10gm each of styrian and saaz at FO. Cubed overnight to cool down then will be fermented with WY3787 at 18 ramped up to 22 over 5 days. 

Will use the slurry for a starter for a Westvleteran 12 clone. Been trying to source one for the last couple of weeks so i can tweak my recipe. Haven't been successful unfortunately.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Having lived in Brisbane my whole life I can certainly agree with that. Even here it's not much chop drinking heavy ales in the humid heat of summer.

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

I think the hop combo is great but the malt bill is just as nice. Some good ale malt with some Munich and crystal, that will have some good body while showcasing those hops. Really nice recipe, Mate.

Standard pale ale malt bill for me, although the percentages are slightly different to the 25 litre batches. I didn't scale down mathematically, just created it to hit a target OG and based the Munich and crystal amounts on the base malt amount if that makes sense, and strangely enough I also failed to hit said OG by about 4 points 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

based the Munich and crystal amounts on the base malt amount

So Kelsey what would you say that you use the Munich for in your brews - a bit more of an amber caramel type richer flavour than say pilsener malt which stays crisper and drier?

I just used some Munich in that recent lager and noticed how much impact it had on colour certainly and I think from the wort perspective(Still in FV) a richer more rounded flavour....

Your thoughts?

I put in about 25% of the Malt Bill as Munich and think maybe next time I could reign that back in a bit... but I guess I should wait until I drink the brew itself hey.

• Like 1

Finally got a frikin beer on. Just went with another pale because my brain is full and I CBF, just need a brew on.

Had some Simcoe and Lemondrop (lemon left over from my Siesta recipe) so bittered with Simcoe, will dry with he LD.

Seems this is the hops for Coopers XPA recipe, which I didn't know, and didn't follow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Yeah, Cascade seems to be able to travel around beer styles, but Mosaic to me, is a pale ale hop. Not sure how this will go in a Bitter. All I know is when I steeped Mosaic, if gave off very ripe stonefruit flavours - strong peach and nectarine. Can't see how that will work with a Bitter -  and a frankenstyle bitter at that, given your 'throw in everything' recipe.

• Haha 1

Aaah finally got there by 11pm... Woohoo.  Will do desert no chill overnight and pitch in the morning ; )

Not that much breeze... so the whole place smells of Roasted Barley - Carafa III and Chocolate Malt 😋

image.png.60cd64a4341edd17c74a62b95a0d28a9.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So Kelsey what would you say that you use the Munich for in your brews - a bit more of an amber caramel type richer flavour than say pilsener malt which stays crisper and drier?

I just used some Munich in that recent lager and noticed how much impact it had on colour certainly and I think from the wort perspective(Still in FV) a richer more rounded flavour....

Your thoughts?

I put in about 25% of the Malt Bill as Munich and think maybe next time I could reign that back in a bit... but I guess I should wait until I drink the brew itself hey.

Ey BB, just cruising past your post and thought I’d throw in my 2 cents....

I find that I enjoy hop forward beers that give you that biscuity/bready little tickle at the back going down. It’s the best of both worlds I rekon....you get a nose and mouth of hoppy goodness, rounded out by something that reminds you you’re still drinking beer. That’s why I add Munich to all my pale ales and things that might be close to ipa territory.....

• Like 2