Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

24 minutes ago, Hairy said:

My dad is Scottish too and I don't mind the cold (well, Australian cold anyway). I don't think I would want to be warm all year round, I like having seasons.

We have seasons in Cairns: wet season and dry season (otherwise known as tourist season).

Edited by Instigator
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

I don’t mind the cold either I just like the warmer weather so I can walk around in my mankini!! 

Photos upon request. 

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

PM sent.

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

PM sent

Now there are three images you'd only ever want to place in front of a blind man.

I don't think I'd even part with 3 copper coins for those.

😆

Lusty.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Now there are three images you'd only ever want to place in front of a blind man.

I don't think I'd even part with 3 copper coins for those.

😆

Lusty.

I think that’s code for you want a copy. I’ll send it through 😉 

Beer Baron

• Haha 3

On 6/3/2019 at 11:23 AM, BlackSands said:

It's day 5 now and it doesn't look like the SG is gonna budge from it's current level so I think I'll CC.    M54 is also supposed to be a high flocculator but the previous batch remained super hazy even after CC and gelatine.  🤔   That batch is super bright in the bottles now after a few days but on bottling day I could see it was far hazier than even my non-CC'd brews used to be.  I suspect I'll have the same experience with this batch. 

Fermenter is now EMPTY  😱

Bottled this batch today after 5 days CC with gelatine. 

Once again an M54 fermented brew is looking very hazy going into bottles.  Not sure what's up with this yeast.  Early indications are that it does produce a super clean crisp beer so it certainly does well in that regard but the sub-spec attenuation is a small concern, and while the yeast cake is quite firm and compact this lingering haze is also a bit of a worry?  Still...  will make my final judgement when I sample the beers I guess!

So, what to brew next?  🤔 

• Like 3

my 5l carboy is getting broken in tonight. testing out a recipe from here for ginger beer. 

• 250g ginger (grated)
  • 1 /3 cinamon stick 
  • 2 cloves 
  • 1 lemon (diced)
  • 700g raw sugar 
  • 1/4 teaspoon yeast nutrient 
  • 1 packet of m02 cider yeast

All ingredients bar the yeast and the nutrients were boiled together for an hour, then strained into the carboy, filling to around 5 litres of goodness.

Almost instantly was the fermentation starting. 

Im trying these smaller batches for testing purposes before looking at the big 23 hit. So any thoughts / reccomendations for the next test run please yell.

Also my Cooper's FV still has the cider almost readyto bottle. still at 1.00 and SLOWLY starting to floculate. Want it to hurry up. want to taste so bad.

Edited by drewbert
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

@drewbert

I would really like to know how this ginger brew comes out.  I love a good ginger beer. If only coopers made one...

I know right XD.

Was reading up though, and many people didnt like the artificial sweeteners in many of the kit GBs. So i thought this was the perfect 'from recipe' brew.

• Like 1

I am about to make a fwk kit of ginger beer, that will be awesome, but I want to make my own, as we all do! Good luck with the ginger beer, the recipe looks pretty nice. I haven't been game enough to make one but with a 5l demijohn, why not experiment...I need one!

21 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I am about to make a fwk kit of ginger beer, that will be awesome, but I want to make my own, as we all do! Good luck with the ginger beer, the recipe looks pretty nice. I haven't been game enough to make one but with a 5l demijohn, why not experiment...I need one!

Even with the downscale to 5litres, its still about 6-7 $ worth or ginger. The rest of the ingredients are fairly acceptable though. Mostly as cloves come in a shaker jar and have like 200 in there, and its about $1.50 for a small pack of cinamon sticks with about 8-9 sticks in there.

Reviewing my recipie i think maybe more cinamon might be needed, but not sure. Also looking at future variations by adding diced chili peppers in, for a real punchy kick. 

oh and the demijohn, bung and airlock was less than 20$. It might be the 'Queen's Birtday' but get yourself the gift i say. 😍

Edited by drewbert
  • Thanks 1

I think you might be right, the Queens demands it.

Some spice is nice but honestly I have 0 experience making ginger beers, I just toss yeast in it and pray. But the recipe looks like a cracker.

2 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Some spice is nice but honestly I have 0 experience making ginger beers, I just toss yeast in it and pray. But the recipe looks like a cracker.

It's my first go for ginger beer. It's a wild ride indeed. Hopefully will end up a bank of go to recipies. 

• Like 1

WIYF: All Grain Two Lager type brew on the way using W34/70 Weihenstephan yeast as directed by this forum ; ) 

Following Kelsey's lager brewing temperature regime... just taking it up to 18 deg C for a Di-Acetyl rest...  

Photo left from a cuppla days ago and since then it has cleared up quite a bit... a good few days to go still in following the OVB Lager Best Practice Protocol 😝 and seems to be going ok after the initial Stainless Steel Vat leaking tempwell disaster.

image.png.67aac29dbb8d4f533a8129e834a3aeff.png

Frankenstein-AG.  My first All Grain attempt.  A clone of the Holgate Gate Keeper (Thanks to @Rowbrew for the recipe ingredients).

I call it Frankenstein because I had to do it as a BIAB, but split into a 20L pot (outside on an induction cooker) and a 10L pot (on the gas stove in the kitchen).

I used the IanH BIAB spreadsheet to try to figure out starting water volumes.  I did not get it right in the end.  I was aiming for a mid-strength beer - around 3.5%. 

Hop additions were aiming at around 20 IBU's (10 on their website)

Holgate Gate Keeper

• 22L water (15L & 7L)
  • 1.5kg Coopers Pale Malt
  • 1.0kg Vienna Malt
  • 200g Lt Crystal
  • 100g Carapils
  • 5g Cascade 30min boil
  • 5g Mosaic 30min boil
  • 5g Cascade Flameout
  • 5g Mosaic Flameout
  • 1tspn Irish Moss
  • 300ml harvested US-05 2nd gen

Recipe stats

• 1.9kg of grain bill into 20L pot; 0.9kg grain bill into 10L pot
  • 60min mash @ 68 (63 @ end mash)
  • After adding grains: 16.74L & 7.63L = 24.37L
  • SG 1.032 in 20L pot and SG 1.031 in 10L pot @ end mash (probably wrong though due to temp of wort)
  • At start boil: 14L in 20L pot and 6.63L in 10L pot = 20.63L
  • Hop additions only into the 20L pot
  • At end boil: 11.89L in 20L pot and 4.25L in 10L pot = 16.14L
  • Added contents of the 10L pot to the 20L pot
  • Once combined in 20L pot SG 1.054 (probably wrong though due to temp of wort)
  • Approx 14L into cube (no-chill)

Pitching day

• 12.8L @ SG 1.048 into fermenter
  • Added 1.8L water to get SG 1.042 (assuming FG 1.012 aiming at around 4.5% ABV, did not want to dilute to get the 3.5% ABV of the original beer)
  • Fermenting @ 17.5°C
  • Surface fizz within 6 hours
  • 1cm krausen am day 2 (Monday - today)

I think I should have used more water to start with.  I think this will be a nice beer, but not so close to Holgate's intention.

Feel free to comment and offer advice for the next brew.

• Like 3

On 6/7/2019 at 11:33 PM, drewbert said:

It's my first go for ginger beer. It's a wild ride indeed. Hopefully will end up a bank of go to recipies. 

So not sure why but it went HARD. So much CO2. It's settled down substantially now. I don't think it's finished yet but a very nice yeast cake is forming on the bottom of the wort. 

Maybe 2-3 days for it to finish I reckon. The M02 cider yeast seems to really be a champ with the flocculation... Wish I had used it for my cider. That is still taking ages to drop. 

D333AA16-0D69-4735-B329-B263F043CE96.jpeg

• Like 1

After a successful Summer beer for the missus, thanks to Norris, I have put down another version but just tweaked the recipe a bit.

Summer Brew 

• Mexican Cerveza
  • 25g Cascade Hop flowers (steeped for 15min) 
  • 660g Light Dry Malt 
  • 400g Beachworth Honey
  • 25g Cascade Hops dry hoped on day six.

Complaint from boss on last brew was that it was a bit over hoppy so I have taken out a 10 min hop boil and just steeped 25g for 15min and I will dry hop another 25g on day six. I had only 660g of LDM in the cupboard so instead of buying another bag I thought I would top it up with a 400g of honey, that was in the cupboard, to hopefully add a nice honey aroma to the already citrus smell. Sg 1.040

• Like 1

Pitching my pilsner today when I get home on my break. The cube has been in the fridge since about 9:15 last night, so I'm guessing it will be chilled down below ferment temp which was the aim. Fermenting at 12 this time, the 2278 seems too slow at 10. 

I've been a little hesitant to do this a lot because the cold wort causes condensation on the fermenter making it harder to stick the tape to it for the temp probe, but since the dog chewing fiasco, the probe wire is now longer so I can probably attach it before tipping the wort in as the FV can now sit outside the fridge with it attached. 

Will update once it's all pitched. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

but since the dog chewing fiasco,

all i can imagine is a dog bringing its bowl under the FV tap, and the dog chewing the tap till it starts pouring out. 

Puppers not realising it needs to ferment before getting his/her drink on...

• Haha 1