Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

6 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

How'd it taste AK?

You can certainly still taste the 70IBU but it is a pretty smooth beer by now. Malty flavours and a rich aroma with hints of fruit. It starts off very gently on the palate but slowly the bitterness kicks in. Very nice drop. Let's see how it'll be in another year or so.

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

You can certainly still taste the 70IBU but it is a pretty smooth beer by now. Malty flavours and a rich aroma with hints of fruit. It starts off very gently on the palate but slowly the bitterness kicks in. Very nice drop. Let's see how it'll be in another year or so.

Love your patience, only have one bottle of 2022 left. also had the chance some month ago to taste a 2021. They are doing something right these guys at Coopers

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Love your patience, only have one bottle of 2022 left. also had the chance some month ago to taste a 2021. They are doing something right these guys at Coopers

I'm certainly surprised I still have some 🙂 There are one 2020, seven 2021 and two 2022 left. Apparently, I liked the 2022 a lot 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

The final installment of my GABS 2023 tastings.

67, Shark Island Brewing, Farmhouse Ale; 61, Easy Times Brewing, Pastry Sour; 71, Warrandyte Brewing, Schwartzbeir; 63, Stomping Ground, Eisbock; 78, Katoomba Brewing, Red IPA.

IMG_20230521_121253915.thumb.jpg.293670422fb9cfc571aedf4316fe42d4.jpg

89, Snowy's Brewery, Kolsch; 82, Brumanity Beer, Rauchbier; 84, Currumbin Valley Brewing, Brown Porter; 86, TWOBAYS Brewing, American IPA; 94, Malt Shovel Brewers, Pastry Stout.

IMG_20230521_124954001_HDR.thumb.jpg.7e365c5ee560bbefba6434e1e30d227b.jpg

51, Stoic Brewing, Pastry Sour; 56, Common Ground Brewing, American Wheat Beer; 58, Green Beacon, Mixed Fermentation Guava Sour; 25, Wayward Brewing, Pastry Sour; 26, Batch Brewing, Pastry Stout.

IMG_20230521_133612234.thumb.jpg.bb86eb2eaa220b6a135efa4b4b32414c.jpg

103, Sierra Nevada, IPA; 104, Cloudwater Brew, New England IPA; 107, Beerland Black IPA; 112, Southern Highlands Brewing, Japanese Double IPA; 111, Rusty Penny Brewing, Milk Stout.

IMG_20230521_143358582.thumb.jpg.e09c5c8bb646ad823b8c9d41e6c8fddf.jpg

@Stickers remaining half a glass of 1 of the 6 stouts Hawkers had on tap at the front of their stall (and they had 6 more taps, 3 on each side); Bright Brewing's Black Forest Stout, Salted Caramel Stout, and Imperial Stout.

IMG_20230521_154107119.thumb.jpg.16f56bfe7fcecb93377e67b2734001ec.jpg

All up, over three sessions, I managed to sample around a quarter of the beers on offer.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Quite a decent Belgian Strong Blond. I always go back to Duvel, but this one is quite acceptable. I find the others (Filou, Delerium Tremens and this one) a bit too malty and not quite so dry. I found this stashed behind some boxes in The Dungeon, must have got some when they were on sale or something.

Below it is my own version of a Duvel: it’s been sitting in a keg for a few months, not quite dry enough. It’s also under-carbonated (ice-cream head notwithstanding) as it’s only been on the gas for a day or so.

IMG_8819.jpeg

IMG_8816.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 8

21 hours ago, jennyss said:

@Coopers DIY Beer Team Liam, do you have any photos of yourself and the Coopers stand at the GAB which you can post on this thread?

Liam's taking a well earned day off after pulling a few big days in a row at GABS. He had his BrewArt hat on, so we probably won't see any photos on this forum. 😞 Cheers, Frank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Out of all of the craft beers on offer, it is always hard to leave any Coopers beer out of decision making.

Thats for sure. Especially Sparkling and Stout, two beers in my all time favourite top ten.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Thats for sure. Especially Sparkling and Stout, two beers in my all time favourite top ten.

Is sparkling like a pale ale or more bitter like an ipa, if u had to categorize it? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pints said:

Is sparkling like a pale ale or more bitter like an ipa, if u had to categorize it? 

@Pints Coopers Sparkling Ale is 5.8% ABV, IBU is 32 and the colour has an EBC of 11. So it has a higher ABV than Coopers Original Pale Ale which is 4.5% ABV, it is more bitter than COPA which has an IBU of 26 and it is a little darker than COPA, which has an EBC of 8.

Sparkling Ale, in my opinion, is a great beer and probably my favourite Coopers brew. In fact I am drinking one right now. 🤣

Coopers Ales

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

@Pints Coopers Sparkling Ale is 5.8% ABV, IBU is 32 and the colour has an EBC of 11. So it has a higher ABV than Coopers Original Pale Ale which is 4.5% ABV, it is more bitter than COPA which has an IBU of 26 and it is a little darker than COPA, which has an EBC of 8.

Sparkling Ale, in my opinion, is a great beer and probably my favourite Coopers brew. In fact I am drinking one right now. 🤣

Coopers Ales

I've been reading reviews of the beers I'm tasting on Beer Advocate (when I can find a listing). One of the reviewers of Cooper's Pale Ale was clearly drinking the Sparkling Ale without realizing they were different beers. They described the Sparkling Ale very well.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pints said:

Australian Sparkling Ale is actually classed in a category of its own.

Definitely not an IPA. Best way to describe it, even bitterness with a good malt backbone, Coopers Sparkling has been described as fruity, a touch florally. Reasonably high carbonation. Hops are definitely not at the forefront though. A good thirst quencher.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am going to have a crack at this style with my next AG brew. I think that @Hoppy81 has a version of this on Brewfather that I looked at the other day, and it looks very good. Mine will be a different to his version but hopefully it will be  a good brew. I am thinking of using Maris Otter and Coopers Premium Pale as my base malts with some Munich 1 and wheat as well.

• Like 3