Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

Today a 'Larger' from Central America.

I picked up this at BWS on special for $14.00 - not bad as they are $22.00 at Dan Murphy's. It is very nice.

A crisp, clear Lager brewed in Guatemala, the heart of Central America. Proudly exported to the world. Appearance: Bright golden, clear, solid white head. Aroma: Pleasant malt aromas, with restrained hop balance Taste: Crisp, refreshing, balanced with moderate bitterness on the finish.

¡Salud! 

20230606_151612.thumb.jpg.c47b774e672b7ff7ec8488969f77e177.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I picked up this at BWS on special for $14.00 - not bad as they are $22.00 at Dan Murphy's. It is very nice.

A crisp, clear Lager brewed in Guatemala, the heart of Central America. Proudly exported to the world. Appearance: Bright golden, clear, solid white head. Aroma: Pleasant malt aromas, with restrained hop balance Taste: Crisp, refreshing, balanced with moderate bitterness on the finish.

¡Salud! 

I've seen that around, but only recently. If I see it at that price I'll give it a try.

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

¡Salud! 

Agreed, had this one before at a friends BBQ. Nice easy drinking

8 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

You can’t go to London and not have a Pride can you 😀🍻

IMG_8521.thumb.jpeg.cf625888ecf1b063e8cb07fad8b340b1.jpegIMG_8523.thumb.jpeg.12d6283ed4cf4fd06920f914fb094b89.jpeg

Nice drop. I tried it in Guildford. Never made it to London.

The export version is called Pride of London. I'm not sure what the difference is, maybe a different ABV. I did once find actual London Pride in a little bottle'o in Montmorency which no longer exists.

Heading to Helsinki today, so a quick breakfast beer at the airport. A Sharp’s Doom Bar amber Ale. Hand drawn and quite tasty. The only good thing about airports is that you can have a beer at all hours of the day and nobody cares 😀🍻

IMG_8525.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

15 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Heading to Helsinki today, so a quick breakfast beer at the airport. A Sharp’s Doom Bar amber Ale. Hand drawn and quite tasty. The only good thing about airports is that you can have a beer at all hours of the day and nobody cares 😀🍻

IMG_8525.jpeg

Heathrow had a far more interesting selection of beers available than Melbourne, or any other airport I've been to for that matter. Hand drawn, too. It's an airport I don't mind spending a few hours in.

• Like 1

Australia are playing a Test at The Oval, and it's cold, wet, and windy in Melbourne. Sufficient reasons to try Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout.

IMG_20230607_211347576.thumb.jpg.0091359f809f8e16cb8b6adc70edb877.jpg

Oh My Goodness, the chocolate is strong in this one.

• Like 7

Sampled a few Finnish beers now. As expected there are good, bad and ugly, just like everywhere else. 

first cab of the rank is Porter Porter by O/O Brewing. It is malty, slightly smoky, sweet and a little toasty. It is quite a nice beer and besides a bit of astringency, I can’t fault it. A good start for Finland? Nope, it’s actually from Sweden 😀

IMG_5985.thumb.jpeg.88b003930c1cdeb03c17511eb443393d.jpeg

Next we have Nutty Brew by Kahakka Brewing. This is a Pastry Lager. I thought that was unusual, so I had to buy it 😀 It is dark and clearly a Lager. It is clean, no fuss, no frills. But there is a catch. It is also nutty, sweet and comes with a smidge of coffee flavour. This mixes Lager properties with flavours normally not found in that style at all, which makes it a little confusing. However I like it and that’s what worries me. I probably shouldn’t but I so do 😀 That really is a point for Finland.

IMG_8553.thumb.jpeg.d1fc00a74047477c954069897e11949b.jpeg

That brings us to number three for today. Karjala by Hartwell. It is a Strong Lager and comes in at 8% ABV. It tastes heavy but is quite smooth, sweet and malty. That is where the good things end. It tastes nothing like a lager. It is too strong and too heavy. The cleanness and crispness that make a lager are missing. The consistency is a little “oily” for the lack of a better word. Even when you pour it, it looked slightly thick. Sorry, that’s a fail.

IMG_8583.thumb.jpeg.b85992a67e6d7c2915fee59c6f18c457.jpeg

I have a few more in the fridge, all from the same series of craft beers and I’m quite keen to check them out 😀

• Like 9

SHEPHERD NEAME DOUBLE STOUT 5.2% ABV 500ml

3 for $18.00 at Dan's, it is an excellent Stout, I feel it is best served warmer than fresh out of the fridge to appreciate the full flavour.

I have had this before & I will be having it again.

These bottles are also great for re-filling, I have quite a few of them.

Velvety smooth palate of dry, burnt flavours, complimented by roast, cocoa and coffee notes. Black, creamy and delicious.

20230609_142256.thumb.jpg.858abff2555b0ecf428fddb91cd6cb57.jpg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

SHEPHERD NEAME DOUBLE STOUT 5.2% ABV 500ml

3 for $18.00 at Dan's, it is an excellent Stout, I feel it is best served warmer than fresh out of the fridge to appreciate the full flavour.

I have had this before & I will be having it again.

These bottles are also great for re-filling, I have quite a few of them.

Velvety smooth palate of dry, burnt flavours, complimented by roast, cocoa and coffee notes. Black, creamy and delicious.

20230609_142256.thumb.jpg.858abff2555b0ecf428fddb91cd6cb57.jpg

Yeah, that one's very nice but too early in the day for one of those for me. I'm used to falling asleep at half time in the footy on a Friday night but if I started drinking that mid afternoon I doubt I'd last until the first bounce.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Yeah, that one's very nice but too early in the day for one of those for me. I'm used to falling asleep at half time in the footy on a Friday night but if I started drinking that mid afternoon I doubt I'd last until the first bounce.

Nah, it's only a warm-up for tonight. 😋

• Like 1