Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

First time in more than 12 years in Brazil 🇧🇷 and I have to say that the quality of Brazilian beer improved a lot. With the takeover by Ambev and the consequent introduction of brands like Heineken, Stella Artois and Amstel most traditional Brazilian brands changed the style of their brews to pure malt, even introducing styles like Dunkel and Weisse.(most beers are Pilsner). This new school “Brahma” is a double malt, containing both Pilsner and Munich malts and goes down very nicely with a Moqueca de Peixe , a traditional fish stew with coconut and palm oil (Dendê), in this case sawfish. All the food so far was yummy, but this meal by far the best.

351952D7-D1DE-42A1-8F7B-7423A6AC41E9.jpeg

D9441DAC-62BD-4CD5-9524-F7AB30900131.jpeg

B80DB060-E065-4366-8E15-DB17A84E4218.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Finally my first “Cerveja Artesanal” or in plain English Craft beer. Made in the city of Cruz and drank on the beach in Jericoacoara. Very nice lager style with perfect bitterness and slight citrusness. Perfect on a cloudy, humid afternoon in 27degrees

7CC4B154-2779-4529-B626-88AF60CEC671.jpeg

0FFED87C-EC16-44D6-83C2-42575C97C8AF.jpeg

D1BA09E4-3E77-4C6B-86B1-9CD967DC54C7.jpeg

Mate, the pics are awesome and the beer looks magnificent. It looks just perfect BF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Three Way Taste-Test:  The original Japanese Rice Lager versus my Cereal Mashed Rice Lager versus my Flaked Rice Lager.  SWMBO looked at me strangely with the three glasses.

• All three had nice citrusy aroma.  However, both of mine had more of a lemony finish
  • All three have a good citrus flavour and a refreshing crisp taste
  • My one done with cereal mashed rice has a slightly more lemony finish
  • Bitterness is mild in all three

Points to note:

• The Flaked Rice version has only been in a keg for 3 days.  Recipe here. Plus is was the bottom of the FV so it would have sucked up some trub.  It might clear up in a week or two.
  • Cereal Mashed Rice version was a half keg, kegged mid November, so about 6 weeks to clear up.  Recipe here. I put some in bottles and here is my comment about the bottled version.  I also did a taste-test comparison between Sapporo and my Cereal Mash version here.

Summary:

• These beers are so close it is not funny.
  • Clearly (no pun intended) the Asahi is clear and mine are in different stages of hazy.
  • I prefer mine for their slightly more lemony attributes, but they are probably fresher than the Asahi.
  • Although doing a cereal mash with rice was fun, using flaked rice is so much easier.  The difference is negligible.  Although the flaked rice version is currently hazier, it might clear up in six weeks, if it lasts that long.
  • Plus. I'll let you in on a little secret: I used Flaked Rice from the supermarket, not Flaked Rice from a brew shop: Nearly half the price, a popular brew shop was $7.50/kg for Flaked Rice

IMG_3465.JPG.216e6360e6a349c3fb0416f05944fedb.JPG

85562134_Screenshot2022-12-25213621.jpg.a64ce5c0ee088d484a1c299aa1d06fff.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Three Way Taste-Test:  The original Japanese Rice Lager versus my Cereal Mashed Rice Lager versus my Flaked Rice Lager.  SWMBO looked at me strangely with the three glasses.

• All three had nice citrusy aroma.  However, both of mine had more of a lemony finish
  • All three have a good citrus flavour and a refreshing crisp taste
  • My one done with cereal mashed rice has a slightly more lemony finish
  • Bitterness is mild in all three

Points to note:

• The Flaked Rice version has only been in a keg for 3 days.  Recipe here. Plus is was the bottom of the FV so it would have sucked up some trub.  It might clear up in a week or two.
  • Cereal Mashed Rice version was a half keg, kegged mid November, so about 6 weeks to clear up.  Recipe here. I put some in bottles and here is my comment about the bottled version.  I also did a taste-test comparison between Sapporo and my Cereal Mash version here.

Summary:

• These beers are so close it is not funny.
  • Clearly (no pun intended) the Asahi is clear and mine are in different stages of hazy.
  • I prefer mine for their slightly more lemony attributes, but they are probably fresher than the Asahi.
  • Although doing a cereal mash with rice was fun, using flaked rice is so much easier.  The difference is negligible.  Although the flaked rice version is currently hazier, it might clear up in six weeks, if it lasts that long.
  • Plus. I'll let you in on a little secret: I used Flaked Rice from the supermarket, not Flaked Rice from a brew shop: Nearly half the price, a popular brew shop was $7.50/kg for Flaked Rice

IMG_3465.JPG.216e6360e6a349c3fb0416f05944fedb.JPG

85562134_Screenshot2022-12-25213621.jpg.a64ce5c0ee088d484a1c299aa1d06fff.jpg

Excellent review @Shamus O'Sean and my thanks for it. As I mentioned sometime ago I was very interested in your rice lagers and the results. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Excellent review @Shamus O'Sean and my thanks for it. As I mentioned sometime ago I was very interested in your rice lagers and the results. Thanks.

Hey Kmar92, I hope I have given you extra information and inspiration to do whatever you want to try.

Gee, it is funny how some folks say, lagers are the hardest beers to brew because you cannot hide flaws.  Maybe that is true.  However, both of my Rice Lager brews nailed it as far as I am concerned. Do not be scared about the hype of lagers.  Give them time and they will reward.

• Like 5

Merry Christmas to everyone. Unfortunately and sadly our 10 days of the Rota dos Emoçoes (Route of emotions) in the North of Brasil finished and we flew into São Paulo and drove 2 1/2 hours to Mogi Guaçu, my wife’s birthtown to spend Christmas eve with her family. On top of spending time with a big italo Brazilianen Family, I also arrived in beer tasting heaven. Pilsner and IPAs, one better than the other.

E367E885-6837-4E89-B26C-1E7046BCA3CD.jpeg

491CA6EA-34AC-47E9-9E34-FE6280D68150.jpeg

F4D89736-E313-42DB-8771-42332BF40518.jpeg

9BE0D677-C15D-4A90-B3FC-6D6E87AFFAD9.jpeg

61A3D6F0-64BC-41A3-B1E7-B21F8E1DA1DD.jpeg

6927F803-6027-42D1-BEEF-85F4F4242BB6.jpeg

F0C98965-C03E-40CE-9740-617745FB2028.jpeg

6E10729D-5C1D-4EFF-9D37-2AE234F4D524.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Merry Christmas to everyone. Unfortunately and sadly our 10 days of the Rota dos Emoçoes (Route of emotions) in the North of Brasil finished and we flew into São Paulo and drove 2 1/2 hours to Mogi Guaçu, my wife’s birthtown to spend Christmas eve with her family. On top of spending time with a big italo Brazilianen Family, I also arrived in beer tasting heaven. Pilsner and IPAs, one better than the other.

You have posted some great photos mate & it obvious you are having a great time. The beers sound awesome.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@kmar92 lovely looking drop, i still have a few of the pilsners from them. I have to admit that apart from the wheat beer I'm not sure of that style. Or just what it is with the German name. Can you give me a run down please?

Ummm, I am no expert but I believe that the Festbier has been brewed by the Weihenstephan brewery for a festival in Germany.

Maybe @Aussiekraut @Brauhaus Fritz or @Pezzza may have some better insights than me as to its origin. I just like it, a very nice beer.

• Like 4

Just now, kmar92 said:

Ummm, I am no expert but I believe that the Festbier has been brewed by the Weihenstephan brewery for a festival in Germany.

Maybe @Aussiekraut @Brauhaus Fritz or @Pezzza may have some better insights than me as to its origin. I just like it, a very nice beer.

ok thanks I was almost guessing the name was hinting at a festival. As an experienced brewer would you say brewed as a lager or ale?