Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from my Bo Pils that I posted a couple of pictures of earlier (only had the one of them), I've been having a couple of porters from the batch I brewed last year. This was the batch which contained the infamous 2 bottle bombs, but the other 60 odd that survived have been quite excellent. The most dominant flavours I can detect in it are chocolate with a hint of roast. If it wasn't over carbonated it would be a very smooth beer.

Not the best photo ever but DILLIGAF tongue

11401049_10207260448178080_3863912344688140029_n.jpg?oh=63cf8bf1d22c1d606ee6ef144c0cc65b&oe=56076814&__gda__=1442452454_b12c00382ccef8adf95465dd050285bd

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Lusty, as much I didn't think I'd be able to follow through with your suggestion I was somehow able to hide a few bottles away until the winter months:

The style itself is meant to be consumed young while the hop character is still prominent. Beyond 2 months aged' date=' this hop character will begin to fade & the beer will progressively drink more like a Porter/Stout.[/quote']

The hop character hasn't faded as much as I thought it would, and it's still drinking beautifully as a BIPA, but it is definitely on its way to Porter territory.

One thing I noticed was the difference in head after 4 months -- it's now dense, almost creamy, and lasts to the very last sip with beautiful lacing:

zHbvbbM.jpg

Congrats on all three beers Hairy, Otto, & Gibbo.

They all look & sound yum, so I'm quite envious!

Gibbo, I'm glad you decided to sneak a couple of your BIPA's (or CDA's if the Canuck is lurking! tongue) away to consume down the track. Each of the benefits you described make it well worth it, & I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the beer. happy

Cheers & good brewing guys,

Lusty.

A bit going on here at the Beerlust brewery today.

Cleaned & sanitised a spare keg, filled that with the Coopers DIY Scotch Ale recipe that has been crash chilling during the week, & fast carbed this up & poured a couple. Really nice. happy I used the MJ's British Ale yeast on the brew & it has ticked all the boxes for me & what I wanted it to do with this recipe. Has left a nice malt profile & attenuated very well. cool Thanks to the guys that have been recommending this on the forum. The beer itself has a nice "kick". wink

Threw my dry hop addition in for the Galaxy hopped Kolsch & am part way through the boil for the Coopers Commercial Draught attempt I've put together.

It's all happening, so I better get back to it. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

G'day guys,

Just kicking back in front of the fire place and trying my first Stout a Toucan with some Carafa 3. I had wanted to age this one in the keg for a couple more months though due to an issue with my other keg, containing my latest IPA, I am forced to drink this.

Though I would have loved to leave it I'm certainly not unhappy with the results reminds me a little of Best Extra and shows a lot of promise for the 12 750ml bottles I'd bottled from the batch.

Cheers

Enjoying a few pints of English Bitter from my Tap-a-Draft this evening. This one's been conditioning for a couple of months now before being tapped on Wednesday. When young the hops combined with the yeast character gave it a mild apricot flavour. This has now subsided and the Golden Promise malt flavour is now coming to the fore. Really tasty! I will definitely brew this recipe or something very similar again.

Having a couple of Bo Pils this arvo while watching the footy. The flavour has improved after spending 4-5 weeks in the bottle, which, when I get my storage cupboard back to normal operations will be about the minimum all batches sit before I start drinking them. Really enjoying this beer now, so I'm hoping my preferred recipe batches turn out even better. biggrin

10422436_10207426598411732_8132412419095993848_n.jpg?oh=28eccc6f4ba84d541b729f21d00a4b29&oe=561727DE

G'day all,

Just kicking back enjoying one of my latest IPAs a Dark Red inspired by Six Strings Dark Red IPA. The colour is absolutely spot on deep and dark with a beautiful red tinge when held to the light and an off white head. I reckon it's probably the closest, in presentation, to a commercial beer I have produced.

The hop aroma/flavour/bitterness is spot on as well I know that Lusty and John were a little concerned that it may present a little bit sweet though with its level of bitterness it works really well a great balance of sweet with a lingering bitterness with big aroma /flavour. Very happy! biggrin

Cheers

Congrats on the brew Brownsworthy. happy

It sounds really nice, & the recipe always looked good, bar the slight potential for unwanted sweetness I thought may present in the final beer.

I'm glad I was wrrrr....wrrroo......ask the Fonz about that. wink

Enjoy!

Lusty.

Thanks Lusty,

I wouldn't say you were completely wrong(there you go I said it for you Fonz) it is sweet though with 70 odd IBU it definitely helps if it were around 50 IBU it would definitely be too sweet.

I hope I don't have to much drop off from the hops as it may pose an issue.

Cheers

First Harvest Pale Ale

This beer is teaching me a lot. Subtle malt tones from the Pilsner, the hop flavour is still present, there is no skunk and the beer has a clean bitter finish. The beer has been popular and the use of US05 at 18 degrees has left me with a pseudo lager. Subtlety is nice, but at the moment I prefer OVB Squaw Red Ale. I should do a mash on Monday and I will do another mainly Maris Otter brew.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Black Knight Dry Stout

IMG_05861_zpswkmv8zp9.jpg

I previously tried this one a one month bottled and it was ordinary, now at three months it is nice and malty with some roastiness, more bitter than my previous stouts but in a good way. Probably not as good as the Four Shades of Stout I did last year but still well worth the brewing effort.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Just finished the last bottle of a Coopers Dark Ale from a brew I made.

All I've got now is a Coles, yes see the coles thread, lager on the go.

I'm going to have to crack open a bottle of red wine to see me through

Sunday night I think.

Another Cooper Dark Ale will be started this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying another one of that 6 pack of stouts I saved tonight. This one is 1.5 years bottled, and honestly I think it is past its best. It has lost carbonation, despite being in glass bottles, which isn't a huge deal in a stout but I'd prefer more than there is. It's almost flat, really. Sort of makes it seem too sweet - 6 months ago it had a really rich, roasty flavour, but that has seemingly waned. Still, I hit it with a syringe about 6 times to build a thick, creamy head on it so at least it looks good. lol

11751780_10207560343875285_2641686675677777382_n.jpg?oh=9232ebc2626b95f2ab3451687bb59f98&oe=561F8A73

Red Rye Lager...

GfnVuyR.jpg

Comes in at a sessionable 6.5%. Really nice and clean, very malty, nice bitterness - apparently 40ibu. The rye is very prominent in this one, I guess due to the lager yeast and the clean flavour profile.

Next will be the Empire Strikes Back - and Imperial Pilsner.

Turned out a bit darker than I had anticipated so I guess it is an IPL.

Nice solid bitterness - 56ibu - and again, clean and crisp.

A whopping 8.5% to 9%. Really can tell after a few sips but there is no alcohol taste at all. Not as much hop flavour as I has anticipated but I think that will change as it matures.

This one is a month old now and drinking very nicely. It has a good balance between the bold malty richness of the ESB and Victory malts with an awesome hop kick with 100g of Amarillo. I cold crashed it for 5 days . It turned out very clear for an ale with 500g of wheat malt in it. Beautiful golden colour. That's for the recipe inspiration, Scottie!happy

Dr Scotties Golden ale

6 Kg ESB malt

.5 wheat malt

.5 victory

.5 Crystal 60

35g Challenger 60mins

25g Amarillo@ 20, 10, 5, and whirlpool

40L

WLP090/US05

Mashed @ 65-67C for an hour

G'day Drinkers, polished off my last Yankee IPA, this continued to deliver right to the last drop, bitter and fruity, Thank's Hairy. happy

Also finishing the the last couple of the Malt & Marmalade Renamed to "Brown coat Ale", this American Brown Ale style brew was a real winner with my taste buds and has been quickly re brewed and will be bottled in the next couple of days and will be done with a slightly reduced carbonation than the original. smile

Happy drinking.

Cheers.

Amber 10

I've been avoiding this one so it has been five months kegged. The problem I thought I had was that the Nottingham yeast dropped out early, 1.016, and I was fearful that it would be too sweet. Well it isn't, in fact the malt is still subdued a little beneath the hop flavour. Not an excellent brew but worthy of my Good category.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

G'day Drinkers' date=' polished off my last Yankee IPA, this continued to deliver right to the last drop, bitter and fruity, Thank's Hairy.[/quote']

No problems mate.

What did I do? Sorry, alcohol has damaged my memory, amongst other things.

Archived