Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy Benny and the Jets

Since this is the first time for rye, I'm really just trying to see what it brings to the party. So I'm not looking for anything too bitter, but obviously a nice beer to experience it. I'd love to hear your (and other rye users of course) opinions. BTW, it's also my first attempt at FWH because I thought a less harsh bitterness migh be the way to go as well). So I can do a 27 IBU like:

Recipe: Benny's Baby Red (B10)

Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.051 SG

Estimated Color: 31.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 27.6 IBUs

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) (Aus BB) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 81.1 %

0.75 kg Rye Malt (9.5 EBC) Grain 2 13.5 %

0.25 kg Cararoma (400.0 EBC) Grain 3 4.5 %

0.05 kg Roast Barley (1300.0 EBC) Grain 4 0.9 %

10.00 g Tettnang [4.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 5.0 IBUs

5.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 6.7 IBUs

10.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 12.2 IBUs

15.00 g Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 3.4 IBUs

20.00 g Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 0.4 IBUs

...or I can increase the magnum FWH to 10g giving close to 35 IBU.

Do either of these sound reasonable or is there a better combo to achieve these aims?

Cheers from the man (?) molested by BL!

I'd increase the IBUs and go with the 35.

Tettnang seems to be a good choice. The Santiam REALLY set off the spicy rye flavours in a way - actually, maybe it was the Mt Hood in the first one? Dunno.

Spicy hops are good for this.

Had a cheeky taste-test of the CanEhdian PEhle Ehle and thought it was very promising.

It struck me as being very Canadian, in a way -- everything about it is super pleasant, from the firm bitterness, to the just-a-bit-more-than-subtle hops aroma, to the polite little hint of crystal in between.

This should make for a very nice autumn brew!

I was earlier drinking Hairy's rip off of Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale. Beautiful love

Then I tried my Hulk Smash beer; Marris Otter and Citra SMASH beer. I was a bit late with this one because it is a perfect summer beer.

Looks good Ben10.

I sampled my Hulk Smash beer again and I am really happy with this one. It was my first beer with a step mash and water additions and, despite only having one malt type, the maltiness really shines through.

Very, very drinkable.

This is my third brew on the Grainfather and all is going well. My first beer, whilst not terrible, was a little bit meh. The hopping wasn't quite right.

But the next two (Mosaic Amber Ale and Hulk Smash) have been cracking beers so all is good in the World of Hairy.

I have scheduled in a brew for next weekend, so that will be four beers in 3 months; that's pretty good for me. I will post it in the brew day thread once I sort out the recipe but it will be an experimental brew for me.

G'day Drinkers, I knocked over a couple of bottles of Real Ale with some crystal and dex, hopped with chinook and citra with a lazy 2 months in the bottle, very nice grapefruit tones. happy

Then stepped it up to a bottle of Toucan Stout 5 months in the bottle, all I can say is don't drink your stout too cold, you will miss so much, Oh and it's hitting it's straps now, smooth, malty and full of flavour. wink

Cheers.

Hello Brewers

Watching the Aussies put New Zulland to the sword and sampling the first of my Pacific Crossing Pale Ale. It is young, very young after 3.1 weeks in the FV and 2.7 weeks carbing up in the keg.

We've got a combination of passionfruit and grapefruit in this one with a lovely refreshing finish. It has a MO and Munich base yet the malt is subdued at the moment. Also my first brew with water correction having used 5.6g of Gypsum. Would like to have let this one age a bit however I 've had two kegs blow in the last week and stocks are low.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

ICC World Cup Final, & strangely enough, drinking a few yummy glasses of our most noted cricket enthusiast forum member's Red Ale!

Nice drop Kelsey, even at this early stage of conditioning. wink

Mine has turned out a little more amber (still a slight red hue) due to a @#$% up I made on brew day where I mixed up everything to the 23 litre mark I wanted, then realized I still had approx. 1½ litres of liquid yeast to pitch into it! Idiot! pinched

I didn't mention it earlier, hoping I'd get away with the colour impact, but it has to a slight degree. sad

Flavour is great though, even from my slightly weakened brew.

Really nice to drink. I'll be brewing this again. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Early taste of Fanta Pants Amber Ale.

Nice. Hints of roastedness. Good bitterness, slight hop aroma. I find this improves for a while with age so it will be interesting to see what the Azacca brings. It's there but at the back. Mind you a burp just then had some fruitiness.

The colour is spot on for an amber

Pacific Crossing Pale Ale

Australian and American hops late

15.00 g Chinook - Boil 10.0 min

15.00 g Galaxy - Boil 6.0 min

20.00 g Chinook - Boil 3.0 min

20.00 g Galaxy - Boil 1.0 min

This one has produced some nice hop flavours.

IMG_04981_zpsxupvipbq.jpg

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

G'day Drinkers, just slipping into a couple of tasters of recent brews, #1 Sassy Sheila , the wheat gave a slight tart taste on the back of the tongue and a nice white creamy head, the Motueka and Galaxy play well together to give an enjoyable drop that will hopefully only improve from here. happy

Well #2 is a version of SMOTY Ale, I used Fuggles instead of the EKG and it worked a treat and this one can get some time on it and will truly develop. happy

Cheers.

Hmm, must be warm here...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...

Fanta Pants Amber Ale

yD05Kap.jpg

Lovely, hits the spot. Up front malt, hint of roast. Good bitterness. As for the Azacca hops they are good but may well be over hyped. We'll see as time passes...

Mind you there is a little lingering fruit I can't quite place there...

Vg346qY.jpg

Tha last of my Rosella Saison.

Bewwwdifull

You b@$%^&! Ben! posting that beautiful pic! devil

You have posted some lovely looking recipes over your time on the forum' date=' but this one is my personal favourite. It's just soo unique & above all else, clever. I can only imagine what it tastes like. Very envious.

We've spoken about this brew on the way through a couple of times, so my hope is you can gain that ripping pinkish/reddish hue from the flowers at some point down the track with this brew.

That's a pic I can't wait to see!

Personally I hope you keep at this brew, & keep developing it. I reckon it's something pretty special. [img']cool[/img]

I don't have ready access to these flowers as you do, so am sort of waiting on the hue in the glass look from a recipe of yours before I go out of my way to source them.

I look forward to your next brew & pic of this.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I have to agree with Loin Tingler. And this applies equally to B10 and Mars Man. I also hope you don't take any comments out of context and accept them in the spirit they are given.

"I hate your guts and hope you get run over by a train!"

innocent

Archived