Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

All grain Mosaic Ale

Lovely hoppy aroma with hints of Passion Fruit, complex flavours and I'm picking up Guava. The malt shines through at the end, not nutty like an English Bitter but subtle hints of Caramel. A pleasant after taste that I just can't place, Caramel and something else.

Link to recipe thread https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/12518/?page=6

IMG_04781_zpse75f5285.jpg

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[/Valley Brewi]

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drinking one of my many American pale ale recipes tonight while watching the cricket. Had a few earlier during today's brew day as well. Quite a nice brew I reckon. Rather fruity but it's hoppy fruity, not yeasty fruity, which I like. happy

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 80.0 %

0.50 kg Munich Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC) Grain 2 10.0 %

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 5.0 %

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 4 5.0 %

12.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 14.2 IBUs

20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 15.0 IBUs

30.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 7.6 IBUs

US-05 Yeast.

I'm glad the beer turned out to your liking Scottie! cool

I knew you'd like it! wink

Freakin' hot here in SA last few days. 40+ yesterday, & heading for something similar again today. pinched

So last night when I arrived home from work I threw a few tallies of the Redback Wheat Beer clone I brewed & bottled back in August last year into the fridge.

Nice & light, & going down very easy on a hot day like today. happy

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Enjoyed a couple of Matilda Bay Ruby Tuesday's with dinner. It's a great beer' date=' I like how the bitterness is enough to balance the malt (unlike the Karl Strauss Red Trolley to my palette).

[/quote']

Got well pissed for Valentines.

Had a couple of Fat Cacks... not impressed. Then went the Ruby. That was really nice actually.

Perhaps I should try and make an Amber next brew Lusty?

Hi Ben.

...Perhaps I should try and make an Amber next brew Lusty?

I reckon you could make a really cool Amber Ale. As much as we are both hopheads' date=' the trick with this style is to lower their flavour influence enough so that apart from a good hop aroma, the malt character is allowed to shine through. For example, if I threw anything near the hop bill I used in my 250cc pale ale at this amber ale style, it would absolutely ruin it!

Scottie's description of his Amber Ale (Post #501) is bang on with what you want from it (IMHO).

The BJCP Style Guidelines for American Amber Ale are definitely worth a look to give you some idea about how to approach making one. I found the descriptors listed there very helpful when constructing my recipe.

I feel if you are using more than say 80gms of reasonable alpha level hops for a 21-23 litre brew of this style, then you are probably using too much. The version I brew uses a total of 65gms. I really did learn a hell of a lot from my brewing of this beer. Particularly about balance between malt & hop.

If the descriptors are true, I reckon your newly acquired Azacca hops would go very well in one of these Ben!

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Canadian PEh!L Eh!L

2.4 Kg DME

.3 Kg Crystal 60L

.2 Kg dex

25g Perle 4.5% (40mins)

10g Magnum 13% (40mins)

25g Cascade 8% (10mins)

40g Cascade (0mins)

21L

US-05 18C

IBU 33.5

OG 1.049

FG 1.012

This one turned out very easy to drink.happy

It is a nice Pale ale with a honey like sweetness. The hop presence is very aromatic and flavourful. It may be lacking in "pure" bitterness from a little more Magnum, but is a very nice drop otherwise!smile

Freakin' hot day again today here in Adelaide. 38ish I think. It felt a lot hotter working in the Drive-Thru today though.

Currently slamming down this recent 5 hop paley I kegged about 3-4 days back. Yum! love

It would only get better if I left it alone to age a bit, but I can't see that happening to any real degree... whistling

I really need a few more kegs. pouty

Cheers,

Lusty.

Another sample of the "Toucan Stout" now 4 months in the bottle, it is now hitting it straps, good over all flavour, good mouth fell and loosing all the sharpness and harshness, far more harmonious unit, getting better each month. happy

Cheers.

Having a pint of my saison after a couple of hours of tennis this afternoon. Prior to this I had a stubby of Epic Pale Ale from New Zealand. Man that was tasty, but I'm quite surprised and happy that I'm finding my saison just as enjoyable, albeit completely different.

I've been drinking a combo of recent brews, & some not so recent.

The Artisan Reserve I brewed last year; towards spring, turned out fairly good, when I was patient enough to let the bottles sit in the fridge for about a month!

Also been drinking some ESB American Pale Ale, some Coopers Real Ale - with added malt, & some Morgans Amber Ale.

I still have some ESVA sitting around but that's better for cooler weather.

Very much looking forward to cracking open some ESB Australian Draught with added Citra hops, which was only bottled last week, & eventually (after I've brewed it) some Coopers Wheat beer.

I can't remember the last time I bought beer as a finished product, but my production of home brew is high enough, & enough stored that I won't need to drink any commercial beer for the foreseeable future, which is a good enough goal to achieve I guess.

That said, if a craft or different style of beer strikes me, it's always good for inspiration when contemplating future brews.

Cheers.

G'day Drinkers, just downing a couple bottles of my "Dreadnought Bitter", here, it was based on the Battleship Bitter, I used different hops. It's only two weeks in the bottle but a nice drop now and will improve, so happy days.... happy

Cheers.

Big Red - just what I wanted after the first time I got this right. A big red rye, love it.

White Trash IPA

KYv6cAF.jpg

It worked. A big, bitter wheat beer. Early days yet but the Nelson really shines.

100 IBUs and Running.... NWA anyone?

Good solid beer. Does not taste overy bitter at all. Again, early taste and I expect the hoppiness to increase later.

I have found that it does up to a certain point.

Big Red - just what I wanted after the first time I got this right. A big red rye' date=' love it.

[/quote']

Since there's now a few additional things I've been told I decided to do this weekend, it looks as though the best thing I can hope for is squeezing in a brew brew on Sunday or Monday. And not having B10s iron tongue, I'm hoping to do a toned-down Benny's Big Red. (Then when I noted the obvious error in Beersmith IBU calculations - see the different calculations for the tettnang additions, it's obvious I need to do some more work before finalising things). Hoping for something around 40 IBU. Anyway, it's still work in progress:

Benny's Baby Red (B10)

Brewer: antiphile

Style: American Pale Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 33.08 l

Post Boil Volume: 28.08 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Bottling Volume: 21.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.051 SG