Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bushy Park Pale Ale

Stella & Galaxy with smidgeon of Amarillo.

Bittered with Magnum and coming in at 46.5 IBU this is the way Galaxy should be drank - not like that Soft Drink Beer - Pacific Ale.

This one has the same passion fruit kick, but has an Anise tone and a nice refreshing bitter finish.

I recently tried the Mountain Goat IPA and that too is how Galaxy should be presented.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

If you mash high enough, say 69-70 degrees, then it should be good.

The current edition of BYO has a section on Session IPAs. They look good. Rocks Brewing do a great 4.5% IPA but I think it is only available on tap.

46 IBU is rather high for a Mid mate' date=' love your work.[/quote']

Yeah Ben

You know I was thinking today "How do I go to 56 IBU, like the Mountain Goat, have a solid Malt backbone and stay under 4.2% ABV".

And I'm thinking "get it to finish high, 1.014".

You have got to love the possibilities presented by home made craft beer.

BTW the FG on this one was 1.011.

Cheers & Beers

I've heard that even a broken clock is right twice a day. And a blind squirrel will eventually find an acorn. And even Brunhilda looks good (in a blackout) occasionally. You get the idea.

Well, it seems I lucked out with my Marzen/Oktoberfest. I brought a 6 pack with me to have a taster, and 2 weeks after bottling it is much better than I had hoped. Perhaps a little overcarbonated (which would explain Brunhilda's phone call about bottle bombs), but exactly the colour I was after, good tightly laced head and head retention, perfect malt balance under BJCP guidelines etc. I can always find something to whine about, and in this case just a little cloudy, but nowhere nearly as bad as the pic seems to indicate.

MarzenSmall_zpse31642e3.jpg

Today, life is good and will be until I bottle the next brew.

Good results Phil

I am currently drinking a long neck of CB Bitter. It's am AG and has been 16 weeks in the bottle. The 19 litres that was in a keg disappeared in now time when my Dad visited in October.

Anyway it still has a nice balance of Choc Malt and Fuggles. I only have 1/2 dozen of these and I am trying to limit myself to this one - more gardening to do. It is very very nice.

I must say that I was beginning to become shy of bottled beers (i.e. shy away) after dumping 70 odd on the back lawn last week. As I sampled some from each batch they were yeasty and vegemite like. Not my cup of tea at all and nothing like they were in their prime, some of these babies were almost 3 years old.

Now that I have tasted this CB bitter I will proceed with my plans to bottle a big IPA and a Stout.

Bottoms Up

Scottie

Valley Brew

Anyway it still has a nice balance of Choc Malt and Fuggles. I only have 1/2 dozen of these and I am trying to limit myself to this one - more gardening to do. It is very very nice.

Not having much luck limiting myself' date=' I've only got one bottle left.

Cheers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Semtex Pale Ale.

46 IBU

6.9% - what?

Lots of hops.

Needs more Cascade next time, slightly over powered by the Columbus flameout addition.

Lovely though. Awesome fruity nose, dank bitterness, brief sweetness, then big clean bitter finish.

Kingpin II

jkqvIBl.jpg

This is a red rye. My attempt at a Bridgeport Kingpin Look a Like.

Not sure how close it is to that but it is an amazing beer.

Dark fruit on the nose, maybe plum?

Big spice in the mouth, some king of acidic citrus stuff.

Big bitterness. Lovely dank after taste > sweet > bitter and clean to sweet.

Far out. One of the better beers I have brewed.

Right now, enjoying the last few of my 250cc Pale Ale v.2 & just tapped a very young extract interpretation of Chad's BIIPA on Rye. A lot of different flavour influences going on at this early stage that tells me it probably should be aged for a bit to get the best out of it.

I'm really happy with the FWH'ing additions for the bitterness. It's come out really good for an IPA, & not harsh at all. joyful

There's a funky new flavour (for me at least) that appears to be the rye, as I've not tasted anything like it before. It adds a drying effect along with the oak chips. Good hopping levels, but if I'm being picky, I'd add a lot more of something like Munich or even a bit more caramalt in place of say the pilsner malt I used next time.

Should be interesting to see how it develops, if I can leave it alone for long enough. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

A Helles Lager from a 345ml stubbie. This is one of the bottles that I didn't tip last week, based on the fact that it was a partial mash using the Coopers Euro Lager. This has been in the bottle 61 weeks after 9 weeks lagering. Once again my faith is restored in bottling, its been in the cupboard for 50 odd weeks and only refrigerated last week. It is smooth and malty, probably not bitter enough, but it is very crisp and time in the bottle has hurt it at all.

5.6%, not sure if I have any more left - I know I bottled 6 stubbies but this is the only one I could see with an H on the cap.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Sampled the second stubby of my hoppy summer wheat ale. Recipe was some wheat malt, some pilsener malt, a smidge of crystal and LDM for the rest of the fermentables. Hopped with Nelson Sauvin at the start of the boil, 15 mins, flameout and a dry hop. Fermented with repitched Wyeast 1056.

Delicious! Crisp, refreshing and fruity with a fair whack of bitterness to balance. I really like it, seem to have fluked a good one here biggrin Was worried I overdid the NS but it's just about spot on.

Is that your brew Scottie?

Ideas re Galaxy wanted please' date=' have not tried Stella yet but the Bridge Rd stuff I have is GREAT and they love aussie hops.[/quote']

Hey Ben

Having a few of these after a bike ride (don't know how KR does it). It is exceptional and would go well in one of those big brews you do. Eight weeks is the keg its starting to hit its straps.

Bushy Park Pale Ale

2.0kg Maris Otter

1.4kg Munich Malt

.25kg Victory Malt

.25kg CaraMunich

15g Magnum (12.5%) 60 minutes

15g Galaxy (14%) 10 minutes

25g Ella (15%) 5 minutes

25g Amarillo (9.2%) 5 minutes

Windsor

28 litre boil

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Bushy Park Pale Ale

2.0kg Maris Otter

1.4kg Munich Malt

.25kg Victory Malt

.25kg CaraMunich

15g Magnum (12.5%) 60 minutes

15g Galaxy (14%) 10 minutes

25g Ella (15%) 5 minutes

25g Amarillo (9.2%) 5 minutes

Windsor

Looks nice bud. Apparently there is an impending Galaxy shortage, my not so local HBS is out.

Nice cool evening here in Canberra, so enjoying a glass of my English stout after a very busy day at work happy

Earlier in the evening my wife and I sorted through all the boxes of wine trying to find a bottle to bring for a picnic tomorrow. I think we've got about 3 times as much wine on hand as we have wine fridge storage at the moment what with a generous mum with a big collection + some recent cellar door visits. Might have to lay off the beer for a little while and run the wine stocks down a bit before the really hot summer weather comes!

My Pumpkin Ale. It is surprisingly good now.

Early on the spices were too dominant so I put them away and forgot about them. Got them back out of storage after a couple of months and it has softened and it is quite enjoyable now.

Archived