Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My Red IPA.

It is quite a nice beer. I nailed the colour and that is more important than taste biggrin

I missed this one. Well' date=' who's a smarty pants then? [img']biggrin[/img]

Good work. Now we just want to see you in the winning circle like Ben10.

Hi Brewers

The current brew is a Coopers IPA/Draught/Real Ale with 2 kg dextrose, 400 g corn starch and 12.5 grams dry pitched hops with 63 litres water with a starting temperature of 21 C. Brewed at 18 C Commercial Coopers yeast (repitched). Initial SG 1.041, final 1.08. Aged 3 months.

A nice brew, good head retention (thanks to the corn starch?), nice and hoppy but not too much and good for the hot summer days coming ahead.

By which time, the Strong Vintage Ale should be getting ready for winter...

Inventory - you gotta love it.

Cheers,

Mike

Just opened a Stink Eye IPA.

It's an attempt to brew something close to the Ballast Point Big Eye IPA.

Starting gravity was huge, my biggest ever @ 1078.

I didn't pitch enough yeast and it died @ 1030. I was a bit miffed at that point. Warmed it up, shook it around and nothing.

F..K.

Lookied in the fridge and found a bottle of Belle Saison slurry, thought, oh well, that stuff can eat anything.

Eventually got it down and bottled and cracked a sample. 9% in the bottle, big, dank, bitter and not bad at all.

Should age well.

Cascade hopped Sparkling Ale next. Yum. Current Temp: 28.9°C.

I prefer my beer a little cooler than that but each to their own.

A bit harsh Hairy. The fridges up north are always on the blink. A man does what a man can. wink

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/size']

...big' date=' dank, bitter...[/quote']

Stop seeing Brunhilda while I'm away from home. You have been warned.

You're really selling me on this wife swap idea Phil ... unsure

Enjoyed a couple of Matilda Bay Ruby Tuesday's with dinner. It's a great beer, I like how the bitterness is enough to balance the malt (unlike the Karl Strauss Red Trolley to my palette).

Came home and had a tallie of my hefeweizen in a nice wheat beer glass. Sensational!

Followed it up with a tallie of the Bewitched Amber Ale. The final result is not great unfortunately, should have done a modest hop addition I think. It's not bad, very drinkable but nothing to write home about. A shame, the gravity samples seemed to have a bit more potential. It's definitely a better 'freebie' than the Coopers OS Lager though. Mixed opinions around the place - my wife says it smells like a men's urinal and my mate says it's sensational.

Hey Guys

Like Antiphile I am sampling a couple late afternoon. Squire's Bitter now I'm going out on a limb here and claiming this as one of my "best beers ever". Its a recipe I combined from some Beersmith iterations with reference to the great Dr Smurto.

Squires Bitter

3.8kg Golden Promise

0.05 Chocolate Malt (600 EBC)

40g Fuggles at 60 mins

30g EKG at 20 mins

20g Styrian at 1 min

1/2 Whirfloc at 10 mins

1 pkt Windsor yeast

Mashed 69'C for 45 mins, sparged as per Denny Conn's batch method, chilled with plate chiller in less than 10 mins, fermented at 20'C. .

Had some reservations about using Fuggles for the bittering addition as it seemed like a waste of a good aroma hop, but I can't argue with results and I am sure that BeerLust could comment on why Fuggles make for some good bittering. Will look more at English hops (EKG) for bittering, I guess in days of old before high Alpha hops this was all the go. I remember commenting here before that the birth of POR in Tassie caused a lot of hop growers to go under.

IMG_03141_zpsffebea93.jpg

Great looking beer Scottie! cool

Congrats!

What did you think of the flavours of the Golden Promise? I've never used it before. Did you pick up any slight honey flavours from it? unsure

ToYouSir.jpg

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

Hey Anthony

It seems to me that the trouble with tapping such a young beer is that it is still developing by the week. It is quite different now and I am getting a malt flavour coming through, sweeter than Maris Otter and honey could be a possibility, yet ever so subtle I didn't like my Honey Blonde at all.

It is however nothing like a Landlord. I sampled one the other day and there is a very distinct sweet flavour in that one that I am not replicating. Mind you I am not 100% sure that I want too.

PS I have my aeration pump on order and will be putting on the brew hat again shortly. I will do use up some of my current hop stocks and then order some Mosaic, I have decided to do your partial recipe and an all grain Mosaic EB.

Cheers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I agree with the other folk, it really does look very enticing. However, I do have a genuine question, Scottie (and I know given my reputation now that really is very hard to believe).

All of you guys separately have more experience with your brews than I'll achieve before I die, but I can't work out why you chose a mash temp of around the 69 mark. Everyone brews to their own taste, but I assumed you'd want a more fermentable, drier beer for an English Bitter style (that you might be more likely to get from a mash at around 64 to 66) rather than leaving a slightly higher maltiness/sweetness in it.

I'm also aware that in a way I'm contradicting myself when you thought Landlord was a bit too sweet, and I don't know what temp they'd mash at, but it just struck me as being rather strange - or have I got my thoughts all confused? I was just trying to reconcile my badly behaved brain cells with John Palmer's How to Brew (Chap. 14.5):

A lower mash temperature, less than or equal to 150°F, yields a thinner bodied, drier beer. A higher mash temperature, greater than or equal to 156°F, yields a less fermentable, sweeter beer. This is where a brewer can really fine tune a wort to best produce a particular style of beer.

Cheers

Edited 6:30-ish pm. I've just realised this was not the thread to ask that sort of question. So I apologise and I shouldn't have hijacked it from its original topic. Please ignore.

Hey Phil

I must admit that I could do more research than I do and as such I could be on the wrong track.

According to the BJCP guidelines the English Bitters (ordinary & best) vary in FG from 1.007 to 1.012, and in ABV from 3.2% to 4.6%.

So after only 3 years of brewing this is what I have deduced: The more malt in the grain bill the higher the FG (i.e. the higher the OG the higher the FG). Now because at the moment I aiming at 3.5% I have a lowish OG but I am after a full bodied brew that finishes around the 1.012 mark, and that is why I mash at 69 degrees C.

Cheers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Phil, you are right that English Bitters are usually mashed at a lower temp. But like Scottie I tend to mash my mid-strength beers a little higher for that extra body.

I mashed my last two mids at 69-70 degrees and they were great. One was about 2.8% ABV but it felt much higher than that.

I think it isn't quite correct to say that the beer will be much sweeter when mashed higher. Mashing higher will result in more unfermentable dextrins in the wort but I wouldn't necessary say it is sweet. It is hard to describe so you will just have to try it.

Archived