Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

Tried my first batch again, the Original Series Lager that came with my Coopers fermenter kit. It's slowly improving, good carbonation now and the slight green apple flavour is fading. I've got about 8 bottles left I think, so I reckon I'll drink 2 more and tuck the other 6 away for another half a year or so and see how they are then. I might throw in 6 of my second batch (the IPA kit) with it and see how they are after a bit of time.

I had a taste of the gravity sample of the stout I have brewing as well. It's down to 1.020 after 4 days in the fermenter so things are going well. Taste impressions? Looks like it will be a richer, roastier, more robust and slightly more bitter version of Guinness draught. I think it's going to be good!

I now realize there's a few downsides to insulating my fermenter with a fitted jacket now:

• I can't see what's going on so I need to take some samples to make sure fermentation's happening.
  • I can't see the stick-on thermometer reading. Guess I just have to trust the probe taped underneath the jacket linked to the temp controller.
  • Dry hopping will mean peeling the jacket off and then replacing it. Not too much hassle but it's a tight fit and I have to be careful not to disturb the brew belt and temp probe.
  • Removing the krausen collar for cleaning after fermentation slows means the same thing. Also I'm not sure how this affects the CO2 release feature in the Coopers DIY fermenter - it's a pretty snug fit.

The upside is less energy costs to keep things warm in our chilly winter!

coopers_diy.jpg

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if the more attractive half of your marriage would consider sewing in a heavy duty zipper down the side (unless you're handy with a sewing machine or a needle and fishing line)?

Great idea! I'll look into that ... I did mention something to my wife about sewing the other day (curtains I think it was?) ... that got shot down pretty quickly.

Last night I had one of my English Bitters with Fuggles and Galaxy which was a nice surprise.

I drank the last of mine months ago but before they were all gone I gave four tallies to a mate to try. Turns out he could only handle one and has left the rest in the cupboard since. So when I had him over last weekend he bought them over.

The bitterness has definitely kicked in over that Galaxy. Still a great beer.

Bonus cool

Hell yeah.

I had my first ESVA 2014 edition last night. Very nice and great balance for a 7.5% brew. Definitely better than the 2013 version imho.

Just tried one of my Atlantic Pale Ales which is a recipe I got from Valley Brew - Only 24 Days in the bottle.

WOW!

What a great beer, I really love it.

This has renewed my love of Galaxy and given me great confidence in extract brewing and single hop brewing!.

When I first opened it and had a smell, the aroma was fantastic, so good I smelled it 5 times before tasting, then the taste made me go WOW.

Its sweet, full of aroma and full of flavour and reminds me a lot of my favourite beer which I tried and failed to replicate in a extract brew recently.

Thank You Scottie.

Here's the recipe for anyone who wants to try it. My only variation was using US-05 instead of scotties suggested Wyeast 1332.

Atlantic Pale Ale (21 litres)

1.5 kg Light Malt Extract (Coopers)

1.5kg Wheat Malt Extract (Coopers)

250g Carahell - 30 Min steep

20g Galaxy@ 40 mins

15g Galaxy @ 25 mins

15g Galaxy @12mins

15g Galaxy day 6 Dry Hop

US-05

Cheers

Guzz

Atlantic Pale Ale (21 litres)

1.5 kg Light Malt Extract (Coopers)

1.5kg Wheat Malt Extract (Coopers)

250g Carahell - 30 Min steep

20g Galaxy@ 40 mins

15g Galaxy @ 25 mins

15g Galaxy @12mins

15g Galaxy day 6 Dry Hop

US-05

I'd guess that would be very light and fruity? Is there a strong passion fruit type of flavour to it?

Well mate, I reckon you should try this one that I am drinking right now:

-----------------------

3 kg Light LME

500g Light DME

150g CaraPils

250g Crystal 60

250g Victory

--------------------------

Simcoe 20g @ 60

Simcoe 25g @ 15

Cascade 25g @ 3

Amarillo 25g @ 2

Simcoe 25g @ 1

Simcoe 20g dry hop

Amarillo 30g dry hop

US-05

Really nice drop, a nice fruity flavour and the bitterness is so smooth, which Lusty predicted from using the simcoe as the main bittering hop. It really is delicious and refreshing!

Adam

Ok, Im adding this to my to-do list, for 2 reasons.

1- Havent used Simcoe yet and want to.

2- Recently have used Amarillo,and liked it a lot, very distinct flavour there.

( Last months ROTM - Golden Ale = Nice)

However, before I really do add it my list, you need to give this beer a name or I get confused . whistling

Cheers

Guzz

However' date=' before I really do add it my list, you need to give this beer a name or I get confused . [img']whistling[/img]

Ah the pressure! I don't normally name my beers unless they are presents.

I'll call it Woodlands Pale Ale cool

Adam

Nice name, usually when I name a beer it has 5 words or more and contain most of the recipe ingredients, so you've done well! w00t

eg: Guzz's Galactic Chocolate Sparkling Crystal Ale

Thanks

Guzz

Just tried one of my Atlantic Pale Ales which is a recipe I got from Valley Brew - Only 24 Days in the bottle.

WOW!

What a great beer' date=' I really love it.

This has renewed my love of Galaxy and given me great confidence in extract brewing and single hop brewing!.

When I first opened it and had a smell, the aroma was fantastic, so good I smelled it 5 times before tasting, then the taste made me go WOW.

Its sweet, full of aroma and full of flavour and reminds me a lot of my favourite beer which I tried and failed to replicate in a extract brew recently.

[b']Thank You Scottie.[/b]

Hey Guzz

I'm glad this one worked out well for you. I too love galaxy and had a lot of success with it in extract brews and small volume boils. I am yet to realise this level success with partial mash or AG brews. I especially liked Galaxy and Cascade but then again who wouldn't?

Cheers

Scottie

Enjoying a real smooth almost 9 month old Porter (EB, 1kg LDM, 300 choc, 220 crystal, 150 carapils, 110 roasted barley, 14g Coopers yeast, made to 21 litres) .

Lamenting the fact it's the last of that batch pinched but have another in the fermenter - whether it lasts 9 months is doubtful, but find the improvement beyond the 4-5 month mark is worth waiting for.

Cheers

G'day SteveL.

Nice to know you're still around the place. smile

Some credit can certainly be directed your way for this Porter revolution here on the forum, & the current Coopers R.O.T.M.

It was your original thread & recipe here on the forum using the Coopers EB kit that certainly inspired me to brew each of my subsequent Porter recipes using the kit. I now brew a vanilla oaked version of it each year to be ready for the winter period. I've just cracked the top on a longneck actually! love

Many thanks! bow_emoticon.gif

Out of curiosity, what other beer styles do you like to brew & drink? unsure

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Anthony,

Am intrigued by the vanilla oak version...please tell me more!

I reckon almost every second brew I do is an English Bitter with different hops (Bramling Cross the favourite) and every third is a Porter - never the same recipe, just slight tweaks. I really would like to diversify more and try a heap of others but these are my staples.

I also favour IPAs and often use the Canadian Blonde as a base for recipes to try different hops.

All are simple recipes as I'm just a kits and bits man who was so very fortunate to get some brilliant early advice from PB2. I'm a frequent visitor to the site but don't post much as I don't reckon I have the knowledge of many others here...

Cheers

Hi SteveL.

Hi Anthony' date='

Am intrigued by the vanilla oak version...please tell me more![/quote']

The vanilla influence I can say I decided to try off my own bat. I use one whole vanilla bean split & seeds removed in my 23 litre recipe. I add it after the ferment dies down just like I would a dry hop. It adds a nice undertone on the nose & the same on the back of the palate when drinking. If you use any more than that it starts to become a more dominating flavour (IMHO) & that is not what I want here.

After all we're about brewing beer, not making vanilla ice-cream! wink

I use 30gms of American oak chips in the brew. They are sprinkled into the fermenter at the same time I pitch the yeast. If you are paranoid about possible infections, you can add the oak chips into the last few minutes of your boil to sanitize them.

The credit for this belongs to another one of our mates here on the forum, that being Canadian_Eh!L. He offered up a recipe using the oak chips in a kit based IPA of his that I just thought sounded awesome at the time. Let's just say it didn't disappoint. I've brewed variations of it 3 more times since. wink Anyways, I had some oak chips left over after brewing Chad's Big Island IPA, so decided to try the same amount in something close to your porter recipe. They work very well. biggrin

All are simple recipes as I'm just a kits and bits man who was so very fortunate to get some brilliant early advice from PB2.

Me too. I continue to learn from posts he makes & older posts of his that I come across when researching certain things. cool

I'm a frequent visitor to the site but don't post much as I don't reckon I have the knowledge of many others here...

Modesty is a blessing' date=' & something you have in handfuls. [img']rightful[/img] I don't mind saying I would personally enjoy reading more posts from you.

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

Wow. One of the easiest drinking beers I have ever tasted. Stunningly good.

Double Brew Day!!!

Recipe: Misty Mountain IPA

Style: English IPA

Estimated OG: 1.058 SG

Estimated Color: 27.9 EBC

Estimated IBU: 55.3 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

3.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)

2.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)

1.00 kg Pale Malt' date=' Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)

0.10 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White)

20.00 g Millenium [13.90 %'] - Boil 60.0 min

15.00 g Styrian Goldings [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 mi

20.00 g Styrian Goldings [4.80 %] - Boil 25.0 mi

15.00 g Liberty [4.90 %] - Boil 25.0 min

20.00 g Styrian Goldings [4.80 %] - Boil 10.0 mi

15.00 g Liberty [4.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min

20.00 g Styrian Goldings [4.80 %] - Steep/Whirlp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Nelson Ale

This extract recipe was from Muddy Waters, which I found while trawling this forum and found it in a post from a few years back. HERE

The recipe was a modified version of the Nelson's Light recipe in the recipe section of this site.

2.5kg LDM

250g Dextrose

100g Crystal Malt

30g Centennial @ 30

20g Nelson Sauvin @ 0

25g Nelson Sauvin @ 7 days

Yeast US-05

21L

OG: 1050

FG: 1012

Alc 5.6%

IF I do this again, I think i lose the dex and increase the crystal to 200 gms, maybe increase bitterness a little by upping the 1st hop addition to 40 mins.

Nice Beer, malty and full of flavour, a nice change from the hoppy pale ales I ve been making. The Nelson hops are a pretty smooth, distinct flavour.

This brew has reminded me that US-05 is a good yeast, especially for a highish gravity brew like this.

Thanks Muddy, wherever you are !

Guzz

Full Nelson Ale

This extract recipe was from Muddy Waters' date=' which I found while trawling this forum and found it in a post from a few years back. HERE

The recipe was a modified version of the Nelson's Light recipe in the recipe section of this site.

2.5kg LDM

250g Dextrose

100g Crystal Malt

30g Centennial @ 30

20g Nelson Sauvin @ 0

25g Nelson Sauvin @ 73 days

Yeast US-05

21L

OG: 1050

FG: 1012

Alc 5.6%

IF I do this again, I think i lose the dex and increase the crystal to 200 gms, maybe increase bitterness a little by upping the 1st hop addition to 40 mins.

Nice Beer, malty and full of flavour, a nice change from the hoppy pale ales I ve been making. The Nelson hops are a pretty smooth, distinct flavour.

This brew has reminded me that US-05 is a good yeast, especially for a highish gravity brew like this.

Thanks Muddy, wherever you are !

Guzz

73 days?????

G'day Brewers' date=' been drinking some Hop Gobbler Recipe here.. wink

I'm liking it very much, hmm dark side, Ok darkish....tonguehappy

Cheers.

Magnaman,

In the post above, it was 7 days, not 73, just edited the post.

Coincidently, I am right now, in the middle of making my 2nd Hop Gobbler, I too enjoyed the 1st one very much.

I think it's the first time I have done a recipe a 2nd time with no changes.

Who makes beer on a Monday morning ?... I do! devil

Cheers

Guzz

Archived