Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking my medicine.

The Styx River Pale Ale II, nothing like the first and not in the top 20 brews I've put down. The Galaxy is harsh. Many have said that it needs to be respected, my issue is that I've increased by boil size by 400% but maintained the quantity and time boiled for this one of my favourite hops.

Was thinking about tipping but decided to take my medicine, besides the next beer needs a couple more weeks before it's tapped.

Bottoms Up

Scottie

Hi Scottie.

The Styx River Pale Ale II' date=' nothing like the first and not in the top 20 brews I've put down. The Galaxy is harsh. Many have said that it needs to be respected, my issue is that I've increased by boil size by 400% but maintained the quantity and time boiled for this one of my favourite hops.

Was thinking about tipping but decided to take my medicine, besides the next beer needs a couple more weeks before it's tapped. [/quote']

Sorry to hear about the outcome from this brew. This is the full AG version right? unsure

I couldn't find a listing for it on the forum. Did you post it anywhere at the time? unsure

If you don't mind sharing, I wouldn't mind a squiz at the full AG recipe.

My altered mix of your recipe is bopping along nicely atm, with some nice aromas coming from the airlock. (I too like Philbo mentioned in another thread recently, haven't used galaxy for sometime, so it is a nice change. biggrin )

Back on topic...

I've been bouncing a bit of convo off a fellow Aussie on a UK-based forum (I also frequent) about using galaxy. This chap is actually in the same brew club as Scott Hargreaves from Stone and Wood, now Byron Bay Brewing. If you could take advice from anyone about how best to use galaxy hops in Australia, Scott Hargreaves would certainly be worth listening to & learning from.

Anyways the advice he gave me (that was given to him by ScottH) is to either use a small amount at 60-90mins, or begin bittering with it @ 45mins to take away that harsh/grassy-like tone. This chap has also brewed an IPA where his sole hop addition was 120gms of galaxy @ 10mins. Any brewing calculator will spit out approx. 70 odd IBU's for that addition, but when I asked him how it tasted at the glass, he confirmed my thoughts, & stated it tasted more like around the mid 50 IBU mark.

There are a lot of options with this hop given its high levels of both alpha & co-humulone. My current FWH brew with it is again another. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

There are a lot of options with this hop given its high levels of both alpha & co-humulone. My current FWH brew with it is again another. wink

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

Hey Anthony

There is a dude on the BeerSmith Forum who did a FWH with Galaxy.

The recipe is Gordon's American Pale Ale and it is 42 litres, 22g of Galaxy FWH then 60 min boil. He has got 45g going in at 20, 10 & 1 and 72g in the Whirlpool. I will scale it later tonight and post it here if you like.

Cheers

Scottie

PS my issue could be the bittering addition but that is only 15g of Magnum at 60mins, my Galaxy was 20g at 15mins - so my grassy bitter finish is a bit hard to explain. But the final product did finish a bit on the dry side so that might be it - Oh for kits and bits where the FG was so predictable wink

Oh for kits and bits where the FG was so predictable wink

+1.

With the exception being the Real Ale IPA that I have in the FV in its 3rd week at the moment. 3 different additions of healthy' date=' attenuative yeast, and I can't get it to go below 1.020. [img']annoyed[/img]

Perhaps it's the DME I'm using? unsure

There is a dude on the BeerSmith Forum who did a FWH with Galaxy.

The recipe is Gordon's American Pale Ale and it is 42 litres' date=' 22g of Galaxy FWH then 60 min boil. He has got 45g going in at 20, 10 & 1 and 72g in the Whirlpool.[/quote']

Scaling it down to a 21 litre brew thus halving those hop amounts effectively making them 11gms @ FWH, 22gms @ 20, 10, 1, & 36gms @ whirlpool for the equivalent of a post boil steep, that could work. Personally I reckon Gordon is a bit 'chicken' with his 11gm FWH addition. Hehe! biggrin

I sense much fear in him! lol

My view on using the FWH addition is all about gaining flavour & bitterness from it. From there the only other additions I add are for pure aroma (flameout &/or dry hop). Otherwise you may as well follow a more standard hop schedule (IMHO).

PS my issue could be the bittering addition but that is only 15g of Magnum at 60mins' date=' my Galaxy was 20g at 15mins - so my grassy bitter finish is a bit hard to explain. But the final product did finish a bit on the dry side so that might be it[/quote']

I reckon your high attenuation (low FG 1.005 you quoted? unsure ) has heightened those bitterness aspects in the final beer. It's well publicized that Magnum produces a smooth neutral bitterness, so it's most likely not the cause of the grassiness. I feel halving your 15min addition of galaxy to approx. 10gms may go a long way to alleviating that overly grassy bitter note you mentioned, next time you brew the beer. Even dropping the Magnum back to 10-12gms will probably help you hit a better balance with those later additions of Galaxy in a light malted brew.

Perhaps something like...

Magnum 12gms @ 60mins

Galaxy 10gms @ 15mins

Galaxy 10gms @ 10mins

Galaxy 15-20gms @ flameout

Galaxy 25gms+ dry hopped.

You've probably figured that out already though. wink

- Oh for kits and bits where the FG was so predictable wink

Ahhh.....the bliss of extract based brewing.....ahhh. biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Anthony

If Gordon is a chicken then I reckon I should steer clear of your recipes, even given the perceived bitterness that you allude to. BeerSmith tells me this is 55 IBU, for me anything over 40 IBU is going to be a mouthful.

Hi Scottie.

If Gordon is a chicken then I reckon I should steer clear of your recipes' date=' even given the perceived bitterness that you allude to. BeerSmith tells me this is 55 IBU, for me anything over 40 IBU is going to be a mouthful.[/quote']

Don't be fooled by the IBU number Beersmith spat out for Gordon's hop schedule. IBU numbers are often very misleading when relating them to mouthfeel bitterness/perceived bitterness etc.

To the taste, I reckon his schedule would drink more like a 35-40 IBU beer.

BTW, my version of your Styx River Pale hop mix is smelling mighty good from the airlock. love

I just hope I've estimated the galaxy FWH amount correctly so the beer is bittered to a nice level. unsure

Fingers crossed.

P.S. I was only kidding about Gordon being a chicken. That's really not being fair to chickens! tonguewink

Hehe! biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

Early taste of the Rosella Wheat.

Wow. Hopped with Sorachi Ace and brewed with MJ's Wheat yeast.

Hazy apricot colour. Fruity taste, clearing to lemon - from the Sorachi - hints of banana.

Lovely.

Yum yum yum.

I'll have to leave it for a bit but I think I am onto a winner.

Hey Tennyson

The rain has stopped and it's sunny here also, currently 6 degrees. I know I named this thread Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew but I'm now in conservation mode. I having a seasonal James Squire Jack of Spades Porter.

I should be drinking some of my Styrian Gold. Had some yesterday and had another friend comment "Oh Scottie that's really nice and it's a thick beer isn't it". But alas if I keep drinking it I'll be left with only American's in the keg. I need a better plan.

Bottoms Up

Scottie

6° sounds like my fridge.

I hear what you are saying about the HB though.

I lost a few a while ago and stocks ran scarily low. I must say though I now have all but 20 bottles with beer in them. 2 Empty FVs though is a worry.

All good, 130 kg of grain on it's way.

Archived