Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Scottie. That is pretty much the same routine I follow except I add a mash out before draining the first runnings.

I was close Hairy except I didn't

* Stir the mash until it got stuck.

* Run the first litre or so off into another container and return to mash tun each time.

* My sparge water was only 72 degrees

I do need a longer wooden spoon for stirring though.

Cheers

Scottie

Thanks Scottie. That is pretty much the same routine I follow except I add a mash out before draining the first runnings.

I was close Hairy except I didn't

* Stir the mash until it got stuck.

* Run the first litre or so off into another container and return to mash tun each time.

* My sparge water was only 72 degrees

I do need a longer wooden spoon for stirring though.

Cheers

Scottie

0DZA1KY.jpg

WhySon.

A Saison, ambient fermented at whatever the temp was.

Hopped with Experiment Grapefruit and Experimental Pine Fruit. Very tasty, almost APA territory. Slight Belle Saison funk aroma, dank flavour, good bitterness. High alcohol, around the 6.8% mark.

Yum.

On the menu tonight...

A couple of 568ml Redback wheat beer clones (4 weeks in the bottle) 4.7%ABV.

A couple of 750ml 4 Hop Real Ale Oaked IPA's (6 weeks in the bottle) 6.0%ABV.

Followed by a few glasses from a keg of the 4th batch of my Mosaic Amber Ale recipe. 4.3%ABV

RDO tomorrow, so I might tickle the freshly tapped MAA keg for a few more than I normally would. biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Gents,

Just started drinking a version of the Coopers ESVA (site was down when I wanted to order it)

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale

1.7kg Coopers Real Ale

1kg Coopers Dextrose

500g JW Crystal Malts 120

40g Ella hop pellets

40g Amarillo hop pellets

40g Galaxy hop pellets

11g DANSTAR NOTTINGHAM ALE YEAST

Added 20 g of Galaxy at 20 min

and 20 g of Amarillo at 5 min

Other hops used for dry hopping at day 5.

ABV ~ 8%

Can still do with longer conditioning (about 3 weeks currently), but is very tasty.

Tastes like an IPA.

Washed this down with a hopped Pale Ale (Dry hopped with amarillo and cascade hops), which is probably my most successful brew so far.

Cheers

I just put down an ESVA, so I'll be drinking that in maybe a couple of months.

My current drinking brew is Heritage Lager, brewed with 1.7kg LME.

I'm pretty sure I dry and steep hopped, but was silly enough to forget to note it, though I expect it was Hersbrucker or Hallertau, or both.

It was bottled 25/7/14, so if I had patience I'm sure it would improve; however it's a great drop, shame I've only got about a dozen left.

After that I've got a European Lager made with s23, which has been down about a month, and I just bottled a Coopers APA with a dry and steep of Cascade; which should taste somewhat like LCPA.

Most likely I'll drink the APA whilst I allow the ESVA and the Euro Lager to condition a bit (though I may do some tastings as they age) more and improve, rather than drink my best beers before they peak.

After I bottle the ESVA, I'll be brewing the Coopers Artisan Reserve.

By then I should have enough beer to keep me going a while; at least until I've got 30 empty bottles again, which is clearly time to brew - if not before, allowing time for the existing bottles to be consumed whilst the brew ferments.

I'll probably do another APA or a Canadian Blonde after those, just to get back to basics again, and have a brew I don't have to wait months to drink.

Seems brewing is as much about strategy to keep your best ageing as it is about making beer!

Finished my brew day, so time for a few ales.

Currently drinking a few different brews.

From the keg, a Wyeast 1318 version of my Mosaic Amber Ale. I have to say as this has aged the yeast character has become very dominant in this version. It's drinking very much like an English Mild rather than an Amber Ale. Not a bad thing, just interesting.

From the bottle, just finished off the last of my Karl Strauss Pale Ale clone recipe. I polished what I kegged a few weeks back! Yum!

Karl%20Strauss-Pale_Clone.jpg

Very happy with this beer. The malt bill has produced something very close to the commercial version & it drinks really well. Next time I'll up the late hop additions at flameout & at dry hop. The hop flavour is still nice, but has fallen away just a little from where I would still like it to be at this point in drinking.

Chillin' down a 568ml Redback wheat beer clone as I type this, to see how it's coming along. The last one I had was a little under-carbonated despite being in the bottle 3-4 weeks. Hopefully this has improved with the extra time & warmer weather.

A nice time of year for enjoying a few brews. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

Red N Hairy

ByY30hN.jpg

My take on Hairy's red ipa.

Using all new hops, Jarrylo, Experimental Grapefruit and Experimental Pinefruit.

Wow, dank. Lovely.

Smells like something people in Adelaide smoke, bitter and fruity taste. Easy drinking at +7%.

Don't Mention the War.

US style wheat.

Minimal hops - really shining through. 35g of whirlpool hops and 30g for 60 minutes.

30 IBU and really is one of the nicest beers I have made. I made the recipe up myself.

Brewed with WLP029 repitched.

Stunning, crisp, clean and fruity.

Mild Ale:

It is Brown and comes in at 3.5%, however I did learn a lesson. I slipped 100g of Carafa II into the recipe. The roasted flavour, subtle as it may be, is a bit too roasty for the style. I did a FWH with Willamette and its spiciness is apparent but the roastiness isn't letting in shine fully.

I'm between a mid strength Stout and a Mild, not bad and drinking nicely but not really a style.

Cheers + Beers

Scottie

I was worried for a little while, but my English pale ale has come good! The recipe was an Aussie pale ale tin + BE2 + 300g dark crystal + EKG & Fuggles hop boil. It's been in the bottle for about a month now. A week ago I tried one and it was far too sweet. But now it's delicious! Beautiful colour, nice restrained hop nose, and decently bitter with a slight caramel sweetness to balance. I think this will be a good one.

Brown Ale - Mild

IMG_02562_zps3244379d.jpg

Used 100g of Carafa II for colour adjustment, overdid it, should have used < 20g. It isn't bad, but due to the roastiness it isn't really sessionable. However with six grains and my 1st FWH it certainly has a complex array of flavours, more complex than Red Wine you know wink.

Cheers

Scottie

Made a rare visit to the local pub last night, and had a Montieth's IPA; not a bad drop, and wasn't sure if I was ready for such a hoppy brew, but I am.

Funny thing though, the flavour and hops hit me first, but about half an hour later as I was eating dinner (steak sandwich), the alcohol hit me; so somehow this brew is a bit of a creeper with the alcohol, but the hops hits you in the face - albeit gently, along with the maltiness.

I guess I'll be doing an IPA at some time in the near future, but SWMBO won't be drinking it, way too hoppy for her!

Archived