Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks bud... and yes' date=' pics are good... all we need now is scratch n sniff...[/quote']

If that ever happens please don't post a pic of your butt!

Ha ha antiphile, beat you to it!

My own Ashes Ale.

A partial mash using the Coopers APA kit and some Maris Otter. Been 33 weeks in the bottle, the MO is not as dominant as I thought, probably used to a much higher rate now, but the Ella and Styrian Golding have melded together well lingering on the palate. Only two long necks remain so only one being sampled tonight.

Cheers

Scottie

I've got 3 on the go at the moment - all Coopers.

There's a Draught-Real Ale (double batch). Nothing fancy except Coopers culture yeast, slow open top fermentation (Thankyou Mr Glad Wrap!) and about 4 months in the bottle - a lovely malty Olde English style.

Then my first attempt at a Coopers Strong Vintage Ale - OK but a little flat and lifeless, even after 12 months. Flavour is good, which is why I've got another batch on the go at the moment.

And then there's Boris. Boris the Imperial Russian. A true Toucan with a dash of coffee (Nescafe 43, 1 desertspoon) and chocolate (of the ice cream topping variety). Now I can hear all the purists weeping in their tankards as they read this, but it makes a lovely winter ale, usually served in modest volumes because it has a little "body" to it. Sort of a desert to complement an IPA I'm working on at the moment. (Saturday night special.)

Next up, we've got an IPA and another Vintage Ale doing their time. Son of Boris is now a month old and will be ready for sampling well before Boris Mk I is finished.

Winter - it's definitely the brewing season!

Cheers,

Mikem

Great Stuff Mike

I wrote in another thread about a bloke I met recently who used to brew on McQuarrie Island. Stouts with some Cadbury's Old Gold in the FV and the like. I'm sure he said they didaRedskin something.

Good Luck with the Son of Boris.

Regards

Scottie

They look like great beers Ben!Bravo.gif

Congrats on both. I could just grab that Rosella Wheat out of the screen & drink it! Really happy that one turned out so well for you. cool

B.O.T...A couple of night caps for me...

My 1728 Mosaic Amber Ale, followed by a couple of glasses of a heavily hopped Cascadian Dark Ale (Black IPA) that I bottled back on 27/12/13. Yummo! smile

For those interested, just like any forward hopped beer that is allowed to age, this Black IPA is subject to the hop character subsiding also. It currently drinks more like a slightly fruity Porter/Stout.

Hey Hairy, maybe I'll enter it in the new "Tropical Stout" category!! lol

Hehe! biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

...snip

My 1728 Mosaic Amber Ale' date=' followed by a couple of glasses of a heavily hopped Cascadian Dark Ale (Black IPA) that I bottled back on 27/12/13. Yummo! [img']smile[/img]

For those interested, just like any forward hopped beer that is allowed to age, this Black IPA is subject to the hop character subsiding also. It currently drinks more like a slightly fruity Porter/Stout.

.....endsnip

Cheers,

Anthony.

Very interested Anthony

I bet that this ageing phenomenon won't be an issue now that you are kegging.

Cheers

Scottie

On the subject of fruity, we gave the Mornington Pale Ale AG another run on Sunday. One of the comments was that it smells like a fruit salad. happy me, Amarillo and Citra.

True it isn't as smooth as an English Bitter but it looks like I've changed into my harshest critic as the feedback was all good.

So I am trying a couple tonight. The aroma is fruity, and the beer is refreshing, the bitterness cleanses and the taste lingers. Would be a good summer beer. I guess what I am really picking up is the difference in style (or my method), my EBs have a stronger malt presence and this APA(USA) is dominated by the hops. Perhaps an APA(USA) with Maris Otter may be on the cards.

Still not a disaster, is it as good as the Mornington Pale Ale K&K unsure Perhaps I shouldn't have brewed so many "Best Brew Ever" in my early days, I may have set the bar way too high wink

Cheers

Scottie

I had a sneaky sample of my 9 day old 7% ABV Celebration Ale this evening. I bottled a 6-pack of glass stubbies along with the 740ml PET bottles this time to use as samplers. Turns out I had been too gentle with my bench capper and the caps were only just sealed. All the stories of shattered bottles severing arteries must've scared me! So I gave the stubbies a solid extra dose of the capper - the seal feels much safer now.

Anyway this sampler had a bit of fizz (thanks only to my bottle carbonation chamber with brew belt no doubt - my fermenter full of sanitizer sitting next to the chamber is only at about 14 degrees on average). It's definitely a very alcoholic, quite hoppy brew unsure ... looking forward to trying it with a couple of months of bottle age on it. Tastes closer to the Vintage Ale than the Celebration Ale to me. This'll teach me to read the recipe more carefully!

Hi Scottie.

...I guess what I am really picking up is the difference in style (or my method)' date=' my EBs have a stronger malt presence and this APA(USA) is dominated by the hops. Perhaps an APA(USA) with Maris Otter may be on the cards.[/quote']

All be it I'm only an extract/partial brewer, but I've quite happily used MO in some of my pale recipes with good results. It is a base malt after all.

Don't quote me, but I reckon I've spotted a few of Canadian_Eh!L's AG recipes using MO as part of his grain mix in some of his hoppy style Pale Ales. unsure

I've found some really cool info on this brewshop website on a variety of topics in recent times. This comparison on base malts is again very well explained for homebrewers (I feel).

Jay's Brewing: The Answer Guide To 5 Base Malts

Perhaps I shouldn't have brewed so many "Best Brew Ever" in my early days' date=' I may have set the bar way too high [img']wink[/img]

Lofty standards to live up to indeed. pinched

Hehe! biggrin

P.S. I still like to bottle some of my brews. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Honey Brown Ale

7.5Kg Pale Ale Malt

.8 Kg Honey Malt

.6 Kg Chocolate Malt

10g Magnum (60mins)

10g Chinook (40mins)

10g Amarillo (0mins)

10g Cascade (0mins)

10g Simcoe (0mins)

1 Whirlfloc tab

42L

WLP090

I have this Honey Brown ale one tap. I must say it tasting mighty fine these days. With'a nice malty/honey character and a clean finish and with some nice subtle hop flavour, but little or no hop aroma.

The WLP090 is a nice yeast. It is what might give credit for the clean finish. It behaves well and makes a nice American Brown or pale ale. I have another FV full of this one dosed with US-05 so we'll see how it matches up to my go to yeast .

Winter Bitter

Spicy at the top' date=' bitter then an amazing malty almost milo finish.

[/quote']

Hey Ben

I love that MO and SG. I love your description too, it's like your describing my own Maris and Styrian creation. I am doing a Bitter tomorrow with Fuggles and Maris Otter. If I like it perhaps a similar hop combo to yours might be the go.

Cheers

Scottie

I love that MO and SG. I love your description too' date=' it[/quote']

Thanks Scottie.

I will have to admit that I borrowed the hop schedule from Dr Smurto's Landlord. I find that kind of thing is good for someone as new to this as me, copy an idea and a feel and the give it what is on hand.

Second time I have made this sort of brew actually and both are very close to each other.,

Love the homebrewing, but the waiting is a killer at times.

G'day brewers, I have just been trying a taster of my Fruit Salad Ale, made a very minor change and I'm very happy with the result at this stage, only two weeks in the bottle. happy

This is the recipe I used.

Beer Name Fruit Salad Ale

US05 yeast

2 Litres Bring Boil SG to 1.040 add either 213 g DME

Add Hops

Amarillo 26g for 10 minutes

Cascade 26g for 10 minutes

Amarillo 15g dry hop on day 6

Cascade 15g dry hop on day 6

DME Light Dry Malt 0.21 kg

LME Briess Golden Light 1.5kg Dissolve the remaining LME

KIT Coopers Australian Pale Ale 1.7kg Dissolve the Kit

Add to Fermenter and make up to 21 Litres with hot or cold water to adjust the temperature

When below 22° C pitch yeast.

It was in the FV for 16 days, OG was 1048 and FG was 1008.

I also tried a tenhique I picked up from Muddy Waters/Hairy and used CSR sugar cubes for the carbonation, thank's they also worked a treat, just that little bit more carbonation than I had been getting with out being over the top. biggrin

wink

Hi Mechano-man (innocent)

My fruit salad really came into it own and drank best at about the 6 week mark. So if it is anything like mine, hold on for the ride and really enjoy!

I can see from the glass it really shows beautiful lacing. But just a comment. Have you ever thought about actually filling up the glass? I know it doesn't last nearly as long that way, but you might find you get a bit more flavour and alcohol bandit.

Cheers mate

Phil

Just back inside after lugging a million barrow loads of mulch - got sore bits everywhere. Perhaps I'm too evolved for this level of manual labour sideways

Glass of water then opened a Saison dated 21/6/13 this was a Recipe of the Month (Sep' 2013) called Biere De Mois. Each time I open one of these, I'm reminded of how delightful this style is love

Only one more long neck from this batch remaining pouty

Hi Magnaman.

Congrats on your version of the Fruit Salad Ale Magnaman! It is a yummy drop! smile

Hi PB2.

I too really enjoyed your Saison R.O.T.M when I brewed it last year, as did everyone I sparingly hand one to. Once the weather warms up, it'll find its way into one of my FV's at some point. wink

Cheers & good brewing guys,

Anthony.

I'm drinking one of the last 3 or 4 stubbies left of my fruit salad ale. My 2nd brew ever, I put it down on New Year's Eve ( hoping to make that a tradition)

It has been really interesting to see how it has changed over the months. Will be a shame when its all gone. Might have to make some more to console myself.joyful

Last night I had one of my English Bitters with Fuggles and Galaxy which was a nice surprise.

I drank the last of mine months ago but before they were all gone I gave four tallies to a mate to try. Turns out he could only handle one and has left the rest in the cupboard since. So when I had him over last weekend he bought them over.

The bitterness has definitely kicked in over that Galaxy. Still a great beer.

Last night I had one of my English Bitters with Fuggles and Galaxy which was a nice surprise.

I drank the last of mine months ago but before they were all gone I gave four tallies to a mate to try. Turns out he could only handle one and has left the rest in the cupboard since. So when I had him over last weekend he bought them over.

The bitterness has definitely kicked in over that Galaxy. Still a great beer.

Bonus cool

Archived