Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

WoW Just WOOOOW

Its your typical Aussie bitter but with a fresher malt and hop flavour ' date=' a hint of floral and raisins. Its crisp and clear without the use of filtering and/or finings. I might be a little boring for the hop heads but I'm just chuffed I've produced something that doesn't taste like home brew.

and no TWANG!

is 9:30 too early to take another sample?

[/quote']

G'day Don, good onya cobber well done, glad to hear you are happy with the results, brewing beer for your tastes is one great advantage of home brewing. happy

All the sharing here in this forum by you and many others also opens us all to styles, types and flavours of beer and also concepts we may other wise remain ignorant too, win, win, win, I reckon. wink

More power to you.

Cheers.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Styx River Pale Ale II

A partial mash without spec grains that has finished a bit low (1.005) and as a result finishes on the bitter side. However it isn't an unpleasant bitterness, and it has spicy passionfruit notes as well.

Yet to nail this mashing process but producing beer and enjoying the ride.

Cheers

Drinking a Fruit Salad Ale at the moment.

Tasted this after 3 weeks in the bottle & was very underwhelmed. 7 weeks in the bottle & it is a totally different story...thank goodness. I went over the recipe & my brew notes to see if I had stuffed something up & couldn't see where I had gone wrong. Took a 6 pack to golf today & it was very well received.

Also have a "Low budget" Celebration Ale I am drinking atm. This is just an OS Draught tin, Amber Malt tin & Centennial & Nelson Sauvin hops steeped. Also very nice after only 3 weeks in the bottle.

Drinking a Fruit Salad Ale at the moment.

Tasted this after 3 weeks in the bottle & was very underwhelmed. 7 weeks in the bottle & it is a totally different story...thank goodness. I went over the recipe & my brew notes to see if I had stuffed something up & couldn't see where I had gone wrong. Took a 6 pack to golf today & it was very well received.

I'm very happy with my "Fruit Salad" brew also' date=' I made a slight change to the Coopers recipe.

In a 2 liter boil with 210g of LDME added the 25g of Amarillo and 25g of Cascade for just 5 minutes and then after day 5 dry hopped with 10g of Amarillo and 10g of Cascade, used US05 yeast.

yum [img']wink[/img]

Cheers.

My first real experiment

250g crystal mini mash

50g Pride of ringwood @45min

20g cascade @10min

1.5kg amber malt tin

1.5kg light malt tin

250g dex

Yeast harvested from previous saaz/cascade APA

After about 4 weeks in the bottle it was abit weird tasting(sweet and thick), my first time using POR so wasn't sure what to expect

It's at 8 weeks now, has insane head retention and is starting to taste really really nice. Very bitter, but I can handle that.

Chuffed! It's a good brew to further experiment and expand upon.

Way to go A-Man

My first extract brew was a little too sweet, since then I err on the bitter side.

Good to see your plan worked. The flavours await, I was so impressed with what different spec grains and hops brought to the Coopers Light and Amber Malt tins.

Cheers

Scottie

Last night I was drinking my Old Ale. I don't think I am exaggerating when I say it's one of the greatest beers I've ever made. cool

The IBUs were in the 40s, but there is so much crystal and such a high FG (1.021) that it balances perfectly.

Thanks to my new favourite priming rate (5g/L) it is wicked chuggable too. biggrin

So much so that I'm pretty sure I pitched a sachet of BRY-97 into 50c water to rehydrate. lol Dickhead.

Last night I cracked a sample of brews No. 1 (OS Lager kit that came with the DIY pack) & No. 2 (extra strength IPA kit + Cascade hop). Brew No. 1 has been in the bottle for about 5 weeks now. After 3 weeks I was worried because it was still almost completely flat, however since moving it to a warmer spot it has carbonated nicely. Brew No. 2 has been in the bottle for about 2 weeks now and has also carbonated nicely. Both were in the fridge for about 24 hours before drinking.

So how do my first two batches taste?

Brew No. 1 tastes roughly like a Boags / Carlton Draught / something like that but with a bit more body, flavour and bitterness. There's a slight cidery edge despite the 18C fermentation temps so I am hoping this will settle down in the bottle. But very drinkable.

My wife agrees that Brew No. 2 is the better of the two. It's got a healthy bitterness and plenty of yummy Cascade flavour and aroma. Decent body but I can detect the extra 700g that mistakenly went into the brew (on top of the 300g in the recipe). Ended up at about 6% ABV from my calculations so it definitely creeps up on you!

So while I'd say both brews will benefit from a bit more aging I am very happy and just a little surprised at the results of my first two batches. I thought at least one of them would be 'down the sink' terrible! The next batch (Hop Gobbler) will be bottled Saturday with the help of a friend. So I am very happy to have plenty of beer in the pipeline biggrin I must say it feels good to relax, not worry and enjoy a home brew!

I currently have a choice, but my preference is the Coopers Aussie Pale Ale with added Centennial and Cascade that I bottled in April.

Others that are ready to drink are a ginger beer that's going on six months old, and a Blushing Blonde that's about the same age.

I like to vary it a bit and don't like to make the exact same beer more than about 3 batches in a row, but I am still loving the Canadian Blonde, the APA, and the ginger beer.

Looking forward to trying the Euro Lager, but that's still got about 2 months of maturing to do.

Styrian Golden Ale

This one has been well received tonight, it is an English Bitter.

It is a fresh keg, 2.9 weeks in the FV and 5.6 weeks kegged. As I brought it in I commented that this was going to be my best beer ever. It was good but I was reminded that I have brewed some pretty good beers so it was a big call to claim this one as my best.

Well it is my best AG brew, and my XXXX Gold drinking mate said it was quite good (not too hoppy).

My son and my daughter's partner were also impressed.

See Chad's Brew Day thread https://coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/10699/?page=24

Cheers

Scottie

My Session Ale.

Munich as base and only FWH and Whirlpool hops.

Well, I can definitely taste the FWH - Sorachi Ace - leaving a rather nice hint of lemon.

It worked.

Nice.

Next I'll have Hop2it IPA, a rather bitter and strong IPA.

Standard/Ordinary Bitter. This one is probably only 3.9% or so, but damn it's full of flavour. I carbed this one a bit too high though (6g/L), which is stopping the hops/malt from coming through like they do when it warms up/flattens out.

I might leave it on the counter for an hour and come back to it.

Currently enjoying some 7-8 week old Coopers IPA's late hopped with Amarillo, Vic Secret, Citra, Simcoe & Riwaka. Yummo!

...and one of my 4-5 month old oaked vanilla porters will be not too far away either tonight! love

Anthony.

Archived