Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ben.

Early taste of the Rosella Wheat.

Wow. Hopped with Sorachi Ace and brewed with MJ's Wheat yeast.

Hazy apricot colour. Fruity taste' date=' clearing to lemon - from the Sorachi - hints of banana.

Lovely.

Yum yum yum.

I'll have to leave it for a bit but I think I am onto a winner.

[/quote']

You know I've been following this...

...keep updating as the beer progresses!

Cool brew, so very interested to how it turns out.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Currently (well not right now, but my current drinking batch), Morgans Aussie Blonde, with added Centennial and Cascade Hops.

Bottled on 6/6/14, so still pretty fresh, and may yet improve with time, (provided I don't drink it all before it really matures) but an excellent drop nonetheless.

I did a batch of Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsener (with ale yeast) shortly after that, so may start sampling that soon, as it was bottled 19/6/14, so almost ready to give it a taste test; perhaps on the weekend.

It's been sitting at a reasonably steady temp as it's in the bedroom, which has better temp control than the rest of the house, so it seems to be carbing up nicely (PET bottles, so I can check how firm the bottles are to confirm carbonation).

Hopefully by the time I get through those two the Euro Lager should have matured, and if I can hold back a bit, the Heritage Lager (made with s23 yeast), should be ready to drink once I polish the Euro Lager off.

G'day brewers, drinking a couple of beers at the moment with a sip of Bourbon on the side,(cleans the palate and warms the bones) it's cold in Queensland, IT'S below 20°C (BRRRRRRRAWWW!!!!) Drinking a Coopers Draught with PoR & Vic secret additions and a Coopers Real Ale with Mutoeka additions, both very nice beers with a good lingering bitterness on the end of the palate, similar but different, I'm a happy home brewer. happy and warm on the inside......wink

Cheers!

Since I'm away from my home beer stash for quite a while, I found it's an expensive business drinking a lot of craft beers. So, for a nice well priced alternative to trying everything, I've settled on the Coopers Sparkling Ale which seems surprisingly little extra costwise by the carton compared to all the "standard bulk beers". (OK, well, Brunhilda decided about the cost of 4 and 6 packs of craft beers, but you know what I mean).

However, a few days ago I picked up a 6 pack of the Coopers Premium Lager and it was a stunner. Beautifully fully flavoured and a true crisp beer. In fact, now I can't decide whether I prefer it or the Artisans Reserve Pilsener as my fave cold fermented, with the 62 Pilsener in 3rd place (I loved the 62 as well, I just thought it didn't quite have the smack-in-the-mouth flavour that I really like as much as the others).

G'day brewers' date=' drinking a couple of beers at the moment with a sip of Bourbon on the side,(cleans the palate and warms the bones) it's cold in Queensland, IT'S below 20°C (BRRRRRRRAWWW!!!!) Drinking a Coopers Draught with PoR & Vic secret additions and a Coopers Real Ale with Mutoeka additions, both very nice beers with a good lingering bitterness on the end of the palate, similar but different, I'm a happy home brewer. [img']happy[/img] and warm on the inside......wink

You really need to get out a bit more, Magnaman happy. Your comment reminded me of what my brother-in-law told me when he was managing the Townsville depot for a large national transport company. When the overnight temperature plummeted to under 20 degrees, he watched in disbelief when the receptionist came to work in Ugg boots! w00tdevil

Cheers!

I know the tone of this thread is likely to go south after this, but have you noticed the Coopers sparkling ale has a rather laxative effect?

I have been buying their longnecks to use for my kit brews, the pale ale is a tad hoppy for me, however I didn't notice that effect.

Those are the only two that come in longnecks in my area.

I'll have to try a box of that lager, sounds tasty, even though they only come in shorty's

........' date=' the pale ale is a tad hoppy for me, [/quote']

Hey Mark

Given this comment you would be best advised to steer clear of the recipe suggestions of 99% of the brewers on the forum wink

Cheers

Scottie

seems I have done something right I have a dozen or so left of my first toucan stout that is 6 weeks old very nice and only need 1 to warm me up in this chilly Melbourne weather and to quench the remaining thirst I have the first brew from my converted 80 litre olive barrel (now my #1 fermenter) a simple coopers stout that is 5 weeks old and as I bottled 160 x 440 ml swing top Grolsch from the one brew they will get a bit older .. :)

It looks as though I'd better tread carefully here. I have to admit I haven't noticed it with the Coopers Sparkling Ale, but a friend once told me many years ago he experienced a similar symptoms after drinking Carlton Draught. Of course, I thought he probably just had a few dozen too many. However, one night I was stuck at a "farewell do" in a Carlton pub and I probably had about 4 glasses of draught. And sure enough, I experienced the same result.

I'm guessing it's just something your gut bacteria have to get use to if you don't normally drink certain types of beer and then they adapt, or maybe it's imaginary. But I'm sticking with the first theory.

........' date=' the pale ale is a tad hoppy for me, [/quote']

Hey Mark

Given this comment you would be best advised to steer clear of the recipe suggestions of 99% of the brewers on the forum wink

Cheers

Scottie

I meant to say a tad "bitter" hoppy

Does your advice still stand?

OS Real Ale

1.7kg Amber Malt

250gms Dex

25 gm each Amarillo and Citra 10 minute boil & 30 minute steep

25 gm each Amarillo and Citra dry hop commando style after 7 days

US 05

Fermented for 3 weeks a @ 18deg and bottled for only 10 days, but my early sampler turned into a 6 pack!

This is one of the best I've made and I'll be making it again soon. I'll maybe substitute Citra for Ella next time. Any feedback on this change will be appreciated.

Thanks lads, Nick

OS Real Ale

1.7kg Amber Malt

250gms Dex

25 gm each Amarillo and Citra 10 minute boil & 30 minute steep

25 gm each Amarillo and Citra dry hop commando style after 7 days

US 05

Fermented for 3 weeks a @ 18deg and bottled for only 10 days' date=' but my early sampler turned into a 6 pack!

This is one of the best I've made and I'll be making it again soon. I'll maybe substitute Citra for Ella next time. Any feedback on this change will be appreciated.

Thanks lads, Nick

[/quote']Hey Nick,

Your brew sounds great! I really like the OS Real can. It does sound a little like my BI IPA. Maybe you should try some oak chips next timebiggrin.

I don't know much about Elle hops, but Nelson S. goes nicely with Amarillo.

Hi Chad, I agree about the OS Real Ale kit and I have built some nice beers around it. The last time I made this beer, I added 40 gms of dried juniper berries which i boiled and then steeped before adding to the FV. It gave a real nice gin like dimension to the beer, and also gave it a pleasant, but dry mouth feel. I found the impact was strongest with the beers I drank first and seemed to diminish as the beer aged. Either that or my palate became more used to the flavour. I will give the oak chips a go next time. What weight would you suggest and would you boil them first before adding to the FV? (yep I know we have discussed this in earlier threads, but I am a lazy arse).

Hope your keeping well mate.

Stink Eye IPA.

74 IBU, 8% bottled.

Lovely orange colour, big fluffy head, receding to to a thin white head with lovely lacing.

Passionfruity on the nose, general fruitiness going down.

Bitter, you can almost smell the bitterness. After taste is all resin and pine.

Lovely.

Stink Eye IPA.

A few days older now, and disturbingly drinkable.

Definite caramel taste coming through... 250g carapils and 400g JW Crystal. Wow, I wonder why I used that much? Seems to work though.

bK2NL9M.jpg

Archived