Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning Brewers.

Just cracked an IPA - bog standard off the recipes list. Unfortunately, I have come to a sad conclusion - I've been brewing cr4p for the last 20 years.

IPA good. Bottled the Vintage Ale yesterday - very promising.

Cheers,

MikeM

...Unfortunately' date=' I have come to a sad conclusion - I've been brewing cr4p for the last 20 years.[/quote']

The smart ones (like yourself) all go through it. rightful

I termed my improvement as being something like coming out of a brewing coma! biggrin

Don't beat yourself up about it Mike, just look forward to the road ahead! cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

Morning Brewers.

Just cracked an IPA - bog standard off the recipes list. Unfortunately' date=' I have come to a sad conclusion - I've been brewing cr4p for the last 20 years.

IPA good. Bottled the Vintage Ale yesterday - very promising.

Cheers,

MikeM[/quote']

G'day Mike16, Like Anthony said enjoy the fruits mate.

I was very fortunate to come here early, read and explore and follow the great advice, and as a result, I'm also happy with the beer I drink. happy

Cheers.

Hi guys.

Currently really enjoying a combination of three brews this afternoon. On the keg pour, I'm enjoying the Karl Strauss clone brew I made, along side a Columbus & Centennial hopped version of Canadian_Eh!L's oaked "Big Island IPA" that has carbed up to a good level. From the bottle, I've also sneaked a couple of my FWH'd version of Valley Brew's "Styx River Pale Ale" that continues to get better the longer I'm allowing it to age (just like it did the first time around!).

From a brewing forum perspective, it's like sharing a few beers with your mates, but I get to drink them all! biggrin

Happy days. happy

Cheers,

Anthony.

G'day Brewers, I have had a taster of the ChocLiqueur Stout , been in the bottle a bit over 2 weeks and given some time will be very good drop I recon.

Oh I did make a small change to the recipe, on a suggestion from antiphile and halved the amount of choc liqueur and what do you know I liked the result. happy

Also have had a taste of my English style IPA, English style IPA attempt? needs some more time but this could be a winner for me and get a few re-runs, good mouthful of flavour and a nice bitter end. biggrin

Thanks' Scottie...smile

Cheers.

Also have had a taste of my English style IPA

Here's mine...

iT9L3nF.jpg

Lovely drop

Bitter in the mouth and then a bitter sweet finish. Looking at my recipe there are no crystal malts at all.

Awesome head and retention of head too.

No photos yet but I will when it's day time.

A recent Aussie Pale with WL Aussie Ale yeast, and a simple flameout cascade hopping. Lovely easy drinking and fruity beer.

Jarrylo Kolsch. Great beer, very clean, nice bitterness, wife smells pear and orange. I get spicey citrus flavours, she says grapefruit. Yummy summer beers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ben.

I must admit I do enjoy your beer pictorials. cool You do seem to have a bit of knack for that.

Nice looking beers as usual. I hope you've been documenting your brews, because I'm gonna hit you up for a recipe over the Summer. wink

My Ella/Ahtanum/Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale...

EllaAhtNS_Pale.jpg

Floral with a hint of tropical citrus. Quite pleasant. happy

I'll likely brew something similar with this hop combo again.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I am not drinking homebrew tonight. sad

I have had plenty of opportunities for drinking and few for brewing. I have bought a carton of Sparkles (love) for $52.00 (annoyed) but I am enjoying it immensely.

And here I was thinking your notable absence from the forum of late was due to an incessant self-imposed brewing regime to build up a healthy stockpile for summer as to avoid those stinking hot brew days out in your shed that you've mentioned in previous years. rolleyes

Shame on you Philbo Baggins! tonguelol

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/size']

Hi Ben.

I must admit I do enjoy your beer pictorials. .

Lusty AKA Anthony I do indeed keep notes and recipes. Thanks for the kind words.

Very happy with that last two brews, I had to actually buy a carton - twas sparkling so all good - as the lagers put me that far behind.

And here I was thinking your notable absence from the forum of late was due to an incessant self-imposed brewing regime to build up a healthy stockpile for summer as to avoid those stinking hot brew days out in your shed that you've mentioned in previous years. rolleyes

Shame on you Philbo Baggins! tonguelol

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/size']

If only that were the case mate.

Working really hard at the moment. My team of four (in IT) supports over 1400 users and 1600 devices everyday and I need to manage some huge and complicated projects along the way, some of them in the $100Ks. By the time I get home, all social interaction either in cyberspace or reality seems like a chore, so I've been keeping to myself. I plan on knocking out a few batches in the coming weeks, so I will post accordingly.

Good to be back. happy

CB Bitter. Tastes nothing like a chocolate biscuit. First time using Fuggles and Victory Malt (I think).

Beautiful hop if this is minty, floral and grassy I love it. As always the Maris Otter presents as a perfect canvas.

Cheers

Scottie

I'm really enjoying my Celebration Ale recipe pack at the moment. It's a really well constructed recipe I think, with a nice hoppy nose and good bitterness and that lovely mouth-filling texture. I do have to say it would be perfect at about 5.5% ABV versus the 7% ABV that mine ended up as due to my own stupidity pinched. Mine is definitely more of a sipping beer.

I also sampled another of my very first batch of OS Lager after about 3 months aging. The apple cider flavour is fading very, very slowly and something else still doesn't taste quite right. So down the sink went my last 6 bottles of that batch, not wasting any more alcohol intake on it.

I'm eagerly waiting for my stout to mellow! The bitterness hits a bit too hard when it's cold at the moment. Not sure if I'm a huge fan of chocolate malt specialty grain really. Next time I brew it I might cut the quantity to 150g or 200g rather than 300g.

Hey Coopers Club Brewers

My CB (Chocolate Biscuit) Bitter at post 892 here in Chad's Brew Day Watcha Got Eh!#3 thread.

A couple yesterday afternoon.

It has a prominent Maris Otter Malt background, tasting as I would expect it too based on the aroma of the grain in its unmashed state. The Chocolate malt is either subdued or complimenting the Victory Malt, MO and Fuggle hops to produce an earthy nutty biscuity tasting English beer.

It is amazing how the taste profile changed as the beer warmed up to the 11 degrees that I have my kegerator set at. The previous night it was tapped straight from the storage fridge where it is sitting at 5 - 6 degrees.

I've said before how many of my Kit brews were my best brew ever, but now I all I can say is I finally got something almost exactly right. A final SG of 1.005 and a ABV 0f 4.3%, and this is where I have room for improvement, pushing the FG up to 1.01 and restricting the ABV to around 3.5%. I think I have it sorted now with a higher strike temperature and Denny Conn's batch sparge process, which seemed to work a treat on my Golden Ale.

Happy Brewing

Scottie

A bit of a lull in brewing due to a lager has restricted us to mostly bottle shop beers lately. There is the remains of a batch of red ale still in the cupboard which will be consumed soon. It was the batch that turned slushie in the brew fridge during CCing, and it hasn't turned out as nice as previous batches did. Need to buy some more Caraaroma too.

So at the moment the fridge is generally filled with Sierra Pale Ale and Stout (saving bottles again to build a massive stockpile of homebrews to avoid this in the future!), or Coopers Dark, or Tooheys Old, or Pilsner Urquell. And some random ones we find to try out.

I think we need to get another fermenter!lol

Cheers

Kelsey

Denny Conn's batch sparge process' date=' which seemed to work a treat on my Golden Ale. [/quote']

Scottie, what is Denny's process?

Hey Hairy

The written words are here at DannyBrew.com

I found the youtube interview with Brad Smith added some clarity to the process.

What I do find interesting is that Denny doesn't advocate a fancy manifold system unless you are fly sparging, yet he doesn't advocate fly sparging either. Because his batch sparge involves stirring the grains the sugars are in solution and it doesn't matter if there is any channelling of the wort. Deny is still using a braided hose in his mash tun.

Cheers

Scottie

Archived