Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

I've two kegs tapped. Tonight, believe it or not its been 38 degrees down here, I had a couple of my Helles Lager. On Sunday my next door neighbour came over and had a few of the same. He said it was much better than the XXXX Gold he'd been drinking on Saturday.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was hot here but not Adelaide hot.

I polished off my wife's Heineken from the fridge (she doesn't know yet) and then chased it down with my Choc Porter. Not quite the beer for hot weather but it still went down really well.

Close to 40 here. Was the work Christmas lunch today. Best thing they had on tap was Carlton Draught. Must be a year or so since I drank that. Never noticed the slightly fruity aroma until today. No such flavour though. Interesting how my senses and palate have changed. Drinking a Cascarillo now, much better.

It got to 43.4C here, don't know where you were Philbo?!!

A mate, who is a winemaker (ironically), has gifted me a dozen beers as a "thank you" for helping him over recent months. He boasted that I won't have tried any of them before.

Turns out I've had two previously, so not bad!

From the dozen, I opened a Frog's Breath IPA today - proof that you can't have too much Centennial. Also, a good story behind the beer.

I am going away for a few nights and called into Dan Murphys to load up. It was 42 degrees here today so I got myself an Erdinger Hefeweizen for tonight. It's a great drop that was perfect for a hot day.

I followed it up with a pint sized bottle of Little Creatures Pale Ale. I remember when I first used to drink this and thought it was really hoppy. Now I don't think that but I still consider it a very tasty beer.

My holiday stash is made up of Murray's Whale Ale, Tower 10 IPA and 4 Pines Pale Ale. I am still trying to get my home brew stocks up after a brewing drought. It takes a bit of time.

We had our work Christmas lunch at Saltram winery yesterday.

Being 40 degrees outside it was just the weather to partake in a few of the house brews - Saltram Pepperjack Ale. It is a beer brewed by them with their Pepperjack shiraz infused in it.

Different but very nice. You can't really taste the shiraz, it is more like a fruity hop presence.

They also had Cascade Pale Ale stubbies, so a good afternoon was had by all.

Last night I was drinking my English Bitter. Three other visitors started with a Helles and preferred that and a fourth rocked up with XXXX Gold because he was driving. My Helles is 5.1% ABV whereas the EB is 4.4%. I am going to have to brew a mid strength Lager to cater for the masses.

Having taken almost 2 years to brew my fist Lager I have now figured out the whole home brew megaswill dilemma. I believe that most people would choose a homebrew Lager over a mega swill Lager but would choose a megaswill Lager over a homebrew Ale. I say this because I believe that most people (in my neck of the woods) drink commercial Lagers.

Unfortunately Scottie, this seems to be case everywhere. I am trying to brew tasteless watery lager style ales for visitors. My visitors just love my "cheap-cheep" which is just a woollies draught tin, a packet of BE2 and Coopers Ale yeast, I cold condition the heck out of it and keg. It's quite demoralising when they prefer it over my ales that I have put significant thought and effort into. My current "cheap-cheep" has also got a tettnang tea and 500g of rice malt syrup in it.

My Mosaic APA has turned out beautifully as well Scott. I absolutely love that hop. It has some of the characteristics I like from other hops like Nelson Sauvin, but you can use a heap of it without ruining an entire batch (something you can't do with Nelson Sauvin). It also seems to play well in APAs which aren't overly bitter, so I've found my current APA to appeal to a wide range of drinkers. Winning.

Might have to hit Yob up for a pound of it. :)

My visitors just love my "cheap-cheep" which is just a woollies draught tin' date=' a packet of BE2 and Coopers Ale yeast[/quote']

Went to a barby the other weekend, and introduced my dead-simple Canadian Blonde with BE1 to some winos there. They thought it was a bit of alright! Then I tried them on the ESVA... well it hit 'em between the eyes (the scene was priceless!) and they went back to their wine. Oh well, all the more for me. It was a good afternoon!!!

Unfortunately Scottie' date=' this seems to be case everywhere. I am trying to brew tasteless watery lager style ales for visitors. My visitors just love my "cheap-cheep" which is just a woollies draught tin, a packet of BE2 and Coopers Ale yeast, I cold condition the heck out of it and keg. It's quite demoralising when they prefer it over my ales that I have put significant thought and effort into. My current "cheap-cheep" has also got a tettnang tea and 500g of rice malt syrup in it[/i'].

Don't get me wrong Scott

This Helles is a quality brew, a beautiful aroma from the Bo Pils but no hop aroma. The disiction I was making was between my Helles Lager which is clean, crisp and malty, and my usual Ales which are a more complex combination of malt and hop.

I can certainly drink this Helles (I'd struggle today to drink Boags, Cascade or Crown premium Lagers), its just that my preference is for the complexity (insert excitment) of Ales.

I reckon you should up the anti and draw your visitors in by brewing the Coopers Euro Lager kit with some W34/70, some malt and some spec grain. You could even pimp the kit with some base grain.

Trust me they'll love it

fn2d.png

Well, not that it is HB but just drank My Wifes Bitter - malty, roasted flavours - Little Creatures Bright Ale - no flavours - Coopers Sparkilng Ale - nice, my old friend - next will be a HB Saison... pull my face off with flavours it does....

Started on a coopers IPA, brewed with a k of dark malt extract and 25g cascade at 15 minutes and 25g dry hopped. Its a lovely BIG beer and surprisingly smooth for only 4 weeks in the bottle. Previous IPA's are never at their best for at least 3 months. the difference with this one was a CC for over a week as i got a bit lazy with my schedule for bottling. Just wondered if the long CC didnt round of the flavours somewhat??

My Mosaic APA has turned out beautifully as well Scott. I absolutely love that hop. It has some of the characteristics I like from other hops like Nelson Sauvin' date=' but you can use a heap of it without ruining an entire batch (something you can't do with Nelson Sauvin). It also seems to play well in APAs which aren't overly bitter, so I've found my current APA to appeal to a wide range of drinkers. Winning.

Might have to hit Yob up for a pound of it. :)[/quote']

Yep, I'm a fan too. Reckon I'll be buying some real soon.

Unfortunately Scottie' date=' this seems to be case everywhere. I am trying to brew tasteless watery lager style ales for visitors. My visitors just love my "cheap-cheep" which is just a woollies draught tin, a packet of BE2 and Coopers Ale yeast, I cold condition the heck out of it and keg. It's quite demoralising when they prefer it over my ales that I have put significant thought and effort into. My current "cheap-cheep" has also got a tettnang tea and 500g of rice malt syrup in it[/i'].

Don't get me wrong Scott

This Helles is a quality brew, a beautiful aroma from the Bo Pils but no hop aroma. The disiction I was making was between my Helles Lager which is clean, crisp and malty, and my usual Ales which are a more complex combination of malt and hop.

I can certainly drink this Helles (I'd struggle today to drink Boags, Cascade or Crown premium Lagers), its just that my preference is for the complexity (insert excitment) of Ales.

I reckon you should up the anti and draw your visitors in by brewing the Coopers Euro Lager kit with some W34/70, some malt and some spec grain. You could even pimp the kit with some base grain.

Trust me they'll love it

fn2d.png

I hear you Scottie, most people still prefer commercial lagers (even if they are technically ales). I do need to bite the bullet and make a lager. I love the euro lager kit but usually turn it into a Kolsch. I am really over K-97 though. Lagers just slow production, that's all.

My visitors just love my "cheap-cheep" which is just a woollies draught tin' date=' a packet of BE2 and Coopers Ale yeast[/quote']

Went to a barby the other weekend, and introduced my dead-simple Canadian Blonde with BE1 to some winos there. They thought it was a bit of alright! Then I tried them on the ESVA... well it hit 'em between the eyes (the scene was priceless!) and they went back to their wine. Oh well, all the more for me. It was a good afternoon!!!

At least the beers that the winos like are cheap to make. :-)

Trying my version of "Over the Moon" Saison.

7spu.jpg

Earthy/Peppery on the nose

Tart fruit in the gob

With a bitter kick that could use some time to settle down.

Its only 3 weeks in the bottle and came out at 6.3% so its pretty green. But defiantly a Belgian.

yp4m.png

A winemaker mate, who visits Tassie at least twice a year, organised a dozen bottles of beer from Cool Wine to be delivered to me - have you been there Scottie? Apparently, they have heaps of beer labels...

Anyway, he made a wager that I wouldn't have tasted any of them before. Yep, when it was delivered, I have tasted only two of the twelve. Not a bad effort but I won the money :)

As of the this Wednesday, I plan to taste one bottle per day - makes for a very interesting twelve days of Christmas!!

Archived