Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

Lusty that one looks great, fab amber colour there!

Scottie your saison looks sensational.

I am drinking my first HB since boxing day - went away and then had night shift. Last nights was 15 hours. F.Me.

Drinking a "new school" saison. Hoppy, bitter and lovely. A nice average 6.8%.

Good stuff.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just had a Stink Eye IPA - 74 IBU and 9.4%. Lovely and very easy drinking. Crystal clear. Subdued hops and mellow bitterness.

Now onto Kingpin II' date=' a Red Rye. 7% ...[/quote']

Easy drinking. 9.4%. Then 7%. I'm going to have to watch the news tomorrow morning for any mass murders on the tableland. alien

Just had a Stink Eye IPA - 74 IBU and 9.4%. Lovely and very easy drinking. Crystal clear. Subdued hops and mellow bitterness.

Now onto Kingpin II' date=' a Red Rye. 7% ...[/quote']

Easy drinking. 9.4%. Then 7%. I'm going to have to watch the news tomorrow morning for any mass murders on the tableland. alien

But in actuality, I don't think the story of someone falling asleep on the lounge will make the news biggrin

My saison has been in the bottle roughly 2 weeks now so I chilled and sampled a stubby tonight. Very early I know, but keen to see how it's going.

This was based on Jamil's recipe in Brewing Classic Styles, so on the higher-gravity end of the style. In addition to that, my particular Wyeast 3726PC smack pack had super-chomping yeast in it so with an FG of 1.003 it came out at a touch over 8% ABV after allowing for carbonation.

It is tasting better than expected happy Clear as a bell in the bottle, some chill haze after 12 hours in the fridge, and slightly cloudy in the glass. Has quite a yeasty smell at the moment, but I'm not too worried as I've had this with a couple of previous batches and it has faded in time. Carbonation is going well, with a nice head on the pour which at this stage is subsiding a bit too fast. Tastes delicious though! The saison funk is not too over-the-top and the alcohol is well integrated. Quite a rich flavour with some nice contributions from the yeast and then a nice dry, effervescent finish.

I'm on the last 3 bottles of my first brew, an excellent Coopers Australian Pale Ale. I'm not happy, I've just put down the Larger which will need a LONG time to condition before I can drink it. I just went and picked up the English Bitter can & will get it on tomorrow urgently, but it's a month off as well! Sad state of affairs...

wLFaaRB.jpg

I feel you Duff, I am drinking some coopers longnecks at the moment as I don't have a brew ready to drink, a couple on the way though. It is filling the void for the time being and a few more bottles for the collection. 1st brew that will be ready to drink is a spruced up APA.

Hop2iT V.

Hopped with Magnum and Mt. Hood - Citra dry hop.

This is really really good. Quite enjoying the Mt Hood, I may have to buy some more of that. I dry hopped this one with Magnum and Citra based on the Torpedo IPA hop schedule - nothing at all like a Sierra Nevada Pine o Cleen but great regardless.

Thanks for the tips Phil.

When I say I forgot to remove the tamper-proof seals' date=' I meant from the previous lot of caps. So when recapping the PETs for the new batch, each had 2 tamper-proof rings. Which don't quite fit and allow a good seal.

I did the priming top-up tonight. I reckon using dextrose rather than carb drops would have been safer - the carb drops are like dropping a Mentos into a bottle of Coke! The first one gushed, then I tried to pop the carb drop into the second and cap before it could gush ... and failed. For the third and fourth bottle it was like I somehow managed to tear a hole in the space / time continuum and screw the cap on faster than the eye could see after popping the carb drop in with no spillage.

I up-ended the bottles a few times and have now popped them back into storage to incubate. See how they turn out, the 2 that gushed have a couple of extra cm headspace but I'm not too worried if they end up casualties. Rather than worry, I had another homebrew [img']biggrin[/img]

A follow up ... today was the day to sample my salvaged dunkelweizen. The PET bottles felt rock solid so I popped one into the fridge a couple of days ago. I was expecting the worse but was pleasantly surprised in the end. The beer was nice and fizzy with a good head, rich, malty and some subtle banana esters ... very tasty. Not a hint of staling which is great, beer can be quite forgiving happy

12 hour night shift with no sleep followed by Don't Mention the War - the Riwaka version.

I think I overused the yeast, early tastes were shit, sulpheur and grass. Getting better, nice grapefruitiness on the nose, still tastes a tad spicy...

Now IndiSon, new world style saison. Bitter, funky, will go heavier on the hops next time. Is good though.

Hot here today too, 34° and humid. Might play some PS4 now and kill things.

Little Thief (American Pale Ale)

I renamed this one after tasting it. A strong Malt backbone - certainly the most noticeable of my brews so far at it is reminiscent of the JS Hop Thief. I bittered this one with EKG and then used Cascade and Chinook late in the boil, there isn't any Galaxy here but the hop flavours remind me of LCPA.

Pretty Wrapped and the vital statistics are:

37.8 IBU

4.8% ABV

1.011 FG

17 EBC

0.805 IBU/SG

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi guys.

Currently enjoying a few extract/partial Oaked Rye IPA's I bottled back in November last year devised off of Canadian Eh!L's original kit based Big Island IPA recipe, along with a few of the Coopers DIY Mosaic Amber Ale recipe out of the keg.

The hop schedule I used for the IPA was identical to Chad's original mix, but I did need to create a bitterness level of my own that aimed to reproduce a similar level to that of the Coopers Real Ale kit used in the original recipe. I toyed with a FWH mixed addition, & am happy to say I nailed a good level from it! happy

It was also my first brew using rye malt. Although the addition I used came from a LME form, it equated to approx. 400gms of pure grain. It's certainly stamped itself into the beer in a noticeable way. My first impressions are that I love the spicy character it adds, but found a sweetness not unlike using larger portions of wheat malt that presented in the end beer, that for me & the way I like the flavours of my beers to present for a beer in this spectrum, needs to be masked by stronger malted/caramelized flavours whilst retaining the spiciness from the rye. I was using a mixed malt LME, so did not add any caramelized grain additions in this brew so that I could also gain an understanding of the flavours of the Briess Rye Malt LME without too much interference from other bold malt flavours.

I now know I like rye & will be using it again in a similar volume in future brews. It adds a nice complexity to brews that are of a style suited to it.

Anyways after all this typing my glass is now empty & my thirst is still begging. Time for a refill. biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Nice one Lusty.

I too love Rye and have recently bought another 4kg to go in some future brews.

Next I feel I may try smoked malt...

BTW I am drinking a saison, didn't know I had any left until I opened this one.

Yum!

I'm drinking a Hop Slam IPA (UK) which is just nestling in to its sweet spot.

The Midnight Mosaic amber went down rather well earlier in the evening.

I bottled some in 330ml bottles and some in pint bottles (1 carb drop). The pint bottles are carbed up well enough.

Hey Ben

"Very Nice Brew", is that the name of this beauty?

It certainly looks to be of high standard.

But that's the usual flamboyant name you devise for your normal tipple!

All Saisoned out I guess you are!

Rye, I think I have to try some and I think that a Big Island IPA might well need to go on the to do list. Should I wait until Lusty has done an AG version, can't be far away given his deal with Hairy.

I can't recall whether Chad as AGed his recipe or not, need to search.

RDWHAHB

Bottoms UP

Scottie

Valley Brew

Cheers Ben

In that case I should sub it into this Little Thief that I'm drinking right now. Chinook and Rye might go together like a horse and carriage. I will take out the Wheat Malt.

Sounds like a plan?

Cheers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Scottie & Ben.

Nice looking beer as usual Ben. I like Vic Secret too. Nice colour depth in the beer. You can achieve that sort of colour depth with only using base malts but it usually means you have to brew a higher ABV% beer as a consequence (as you have here sideways). For the most part, I brew session-able beers around 4.3% - 5.0% most of the time, so a bit of crystal is required to achieve that sort of colour depth in my beers. wink

Rye' date=' I think I have to try some and I think that a Big Island IPA might well need to go on the to do list.

I can't recall whether Chad as AGed his recipe or not, need to search.[/quote']

Chad did put down an AG version of sorts. He didn't have the exact hops but used what he had at the time.

LINKY.

Should I wait until Lusty has done an AG version' date=' can't be far away given his deal with Hairy.[/quote']

No such deal was ever struck with the flamboyant follicle maestro! He's just stirring! tongue That said though, if my Punters Club does as well as Hairy's did last year, AG brewing may indeed come around sooner rather than later! biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Should I wait until Lusty has done an AG version' date=' can't be far away given his deal with Hairy.[/quote']

No such deal was ever struck with the flamboyant follicle maestro! He's just stirring! tongue That said though, if my Punters Club does as well as Hairy's did last year, AG brewing may indeed come around sooner rather than later! biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size]

Hey Lusty

Personally I would have waited until Hairy brewed your AG Mosaic Amber prior to pointing out the Caveat wink

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hey Lusty

Personally I would have waited until Hairy brewed your AG Mosaic Amber prior to pointing out the Caveat wink

It'll be his loss if he doesn't brew it Scottie! Hehe! tongue

Out of curiosity' date=' at what stage are you at with your version of it? [img']unsure[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived