Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

Still on my pseudo lagers tonight watching the Collingwood v Geelong match. Should be a good game but hoping Geelong makes Eddie cry. biggrin

It'll be a little while before I move on to the Northern Brewer hopped pale ale, but the bottle I had last weekend wasn't too bad, albeit I had had a big night the night before so I don't think the old tastebuds were in the greatest condition...tongue

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
G'day Drinkers' date=' the aurtumnal delights of Brisbane are upon us "Luck Bastards" and I have been taking the opertunity to slip into a couple this arvo. [img']happy[/img]

Real Ale with Chinook and Citra, 4 months in the bottle and a real bewty indeed.

I then moved on to my Sassy Sheila, delicious and then the Toucan Stout, 7 months in the bottle and OH YEAH baby........happy

Cheers.

Sounds good Magnaman! It's bloody freezing here, and as I have been too generous with giving away my home brew, as well as too enthusiastic in my own drinking, I (like Del) am in the unfortunate situation of have no home brew ready to drink. My ESB is almost ready to drink though, so it won't be long! I do have one last bottle of my Hobgoblin clone in the fridge, but that batch was so tasty I can hardly bear to drink it.

In the meantime I'm making do with a can of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, a can of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA and a bottle of Orval. So although I wish they were homebrew, I can't complain really biggrin

G'day guys,

Just kicking back watching the Raiders beat Gold Coast and enjoying a couple of my latest which I've named Yet another IPA and its bloody fantastic, really pleased one of my best so far. biggrin

With 120g worth of hops in the boil and dry hopped with a further 100g it certainly packs a punch aroma and flavour wise with plenty of citrus and tropical fruit with a nice hint of pine. IBUs came out at 58 though it's a little sweet so doesn't taste like it.

I will definitely be doing this one again sooner than later.

Cheers

I poured a couple of glasses of my extract APA last night, with the following hop schedule for 10 litres:

5.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 16.4 IBUs

12.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min 6.0 IBUs

6.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 3.9 IBUs

12.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min 11.6 IBUs

12.00 g Pacific Hallertau [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min 6.9 IBUs

7.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min 8.8 IBUs

12.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

12.00 g Pacific Hallertau [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

7.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

It is very tasty indeed! I would have to put it into IPA territory for sure though (except for the low-ish 5.5% ABV), there's a pretty solid hit of bitterness, then the intense hop flavour fills your senses. I tried to use Nelson Sauvin in smaller quantities so it didn't overpower the rest, but it is still the most easily discernible aroma and flavour. Pretty potent hop that! I reckon these 3 blend well though, smells really nice, lots of passionfruit and citrus. My wife loved the aroma but made a face after tasting it biggrin

There's not a whole lot of malt or yeast character that I can detect, but it's not too bad for a brew I did to use up a few boxes of LDM and leftover hops. I did steep some medium crystal as well, but that doesn't contribute a whole lot - maybe it will come through a bit more after the hops drop out a bit.

I'm not surprised it's ended up like an IPA. You do gain a lot of bitterness from those whirlpool additions.

Flavour-wise the hop combo always looked like a winner! wink

Any thoughts on what the Hallertau may have added?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Any thoughts on what the Hallertau may have added?

Cheers Lusty, I am looking forward to another sample later! I get quite a prominent mandarin citrus flavour from Pacific Hallertau - noticed it in my saisons over summer as well.

Edit: Sampled another and I can definitely taste the familiar mandarin flavour. It's subtle and in the background in this company, but definitely there. Gives a nice bit of complexity to the hop flavour.

First Harvest Pale Ale

IMG_05431_zpsggm0prd5.jpg

Anyone with the ability to use wet hops, mine came straight from the Bine to the boil, should give it a go - you won't be disappointed. I'm getting s slightly floral aroma with hint of citrus. In the gob I get citrus and caramel with a pleasant bitter finish - smooth to be precise.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Looks & sounds good Scottie. happy

Nice to see you're still around the place. Where've you been hiding lately? unsure

Maybe spending large amounts of spare time chopping wood for the pending Tasmanian winter??!! tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

Looks & sounds good Scottie. happy

Nice to see you're still around the place. Where've you been hiding lately? unsure

Maybe spending large amounts of spare time chopping wood for the pending Tasmanian winter??!! tongue

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/quote']

Hey Lusty

I'll have you know that only last Wednesday I was sunbaking in 32 degree heat. Granted I may feel the cold soon but I have heat pumps so at least I avoid that famous Tasmanian past time of Chopping Wood biggrin

Hopefully I can get a brew on soon.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Ben. smile

Porter House - the second run of my porter.

Yum yum yum @ 7.5% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps provide a link to your recipes' date=' else it just comes across as a big tease! [img']tongue[/img]

On a personal note, it'd be good to have a look at the recipe & compare it with my own current Porter recipe to see if there are any areas I could use from your recipe to improve mine.

Not that I'm the slightest bit unhappy with mine. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

but more in the stout territory IMHO.

Robust Porter territory - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style12.php#1b and that is what I based it on.

Base malt + Munich for depth + Brown malt (as I read it is essential for a Porter) + Caraaroma because I love it + a touch of roast for some colour and roast.

Bitterness is outside the guidelines BUT it is very subjective and only numbers.

but more in the stout territory IMHO.

Robust Porter territory - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style12.php#1b and that is what I based it on.

Base malt + Munich for depth + Brown malt (as I read it is essential for a Porter) + Caraaroma because I love it + a touch of roast for some colour and roast.

Bitterness is outside the guidelines BUT it is very subjective and only numbers.

I understand the BJCP guidelines & the Porter style very well. I wasn't having a dig about your malt bill' date=' I actually thought it was pretty cool. [img']cool[/img]

The bitterness though, as you've even admitted is a little high for the style. In your defence, I haven't tasted your brew, only looked at the recipe on paper so to speak.

That said though, the bitterness & heaviness of high roasted malts in the grist is how I differentiate at the glass between what I personally class as a Porter or a Stout. innocent

Cheers,

Lusty.

All good buddy, was just trying to get across where I was coming from with the recipe formulation.

For me there is not a lot of roast but having never made a stout and only two Porters I may very well have no idea.

Happily send you a bottle.

email me your address.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All good buddy' date=' was just trying to get across where I was coming from with the recipe formulation.

For me there is not a lot of roast but having never made a stout and only two Porters I may very well have no idea.[/quote']

You have plenty of an idea. rightful

From brew to brew your recipes are among some of the most interesting (to me at least) of anyone currently on the forum, & I enjoy following your progress of them throughout the brewing process to the fantastic pictures you take & the descriptions you give of them once in the glass. cool

I apologise if my comments about your brews comes across as appearing anything negative.

As that is never my intention with the interest I show &/or the questions I ask. innocent

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Drinkers, just been tucking into a couple of Pale Ales, 6 months in the bottle, I'm so very happy with this beer. happy

This beer was a good one from day one and has keept going for so long, just a few left now. sad

This one is a must brew again, APA a bit of crystyl some Briess Golden light malt extract, dextrose and CCA yeast, Chinook, Citra and Galaxy hop, boil and dry, still got a good strong white head with a nice aroma, the punch is gone but not lost. happy

Cheers.

Archived