Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

Having a glass of my latest Bohemian Pilsner tonight, it's been in the keg for 8 days now. It's a bit flat still, although that could simply be from using the flow control to pour less foam and not waste any (still comes out undercarbed). Me and a friend had a few glasses on Sunday and it was more carbonated as we were pouring constantly.

Either way, it's cleared up pretty nicely and isn't tasting too bad but it will largely be left alone until AFL grand final day (depending on my plans for that), so should be fully carbed by then and improved flavour wise too.

I daresay I'll go back to brewing these beers with my treated water, this one was brewed with untreated tap water and I'll reserve proper judgement for another couple of weeks, but I do think the previous batch with treated water was better overall.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having my last pilsner for a while.

It was dubbed HP ( hoppy pilsner) and has now become Horrible Pilsner.

Anti sent me some yeast and I was oh so lazy and direct pitched. This one did not take off at all. The yeast in the other was fine.

So I top cropped the other for this. It is not infected, it's just HORRIBLE.

Yeasty shitey overtones.

Oh well, it's nearly gone.

Hi Ben. smile

An early taste of my English Amber

https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/13814/?page=33 post 658.

All late hops' date=' nothing boiled.

Lusty that may well be the go for a good APA in the style of Bridge Rds as described by the brewer.

Good, smooth bitterness and a decent hoppy taste.[/quote']

I agree provided you are a full volume boiler regardless of whether you extract or AG base brew.

Smaller volume boilers (such as myself) run into problems that affect OG & malt derived flavour if trying to adopt this technique due to the sheer volume of hops required vs the wort volume it enters.

Basically, I begin to lose too much wort to hop absorption given the higher level of hops required to attain certain bitterness levels when adding hops at these required weights so late in the boil.

Even full volume boilers will notice reduced wort levels post boil by adding hops this way. The major problem for us smaller volume boilers is that often our specialty grains are contained in this wort that then partially gets absorbed through the hop boil, thus reducing their impact in the final malt flavours of the beer & creating lower than expected OG's as a result.

For me at my volumes, I'm still going to have to accept adding a certain amount of hops into the boiling phase (even if it is late in the boil) to attain some level of bitterness prior to adding any flameout/whirlpool-like hops, & using hop teas as to not lose too much wort post boil to hop absorption.

I hope that helps a few blokes in a similar position to me.

Cheers,

Lusty.

A Pint of Victory IPA II.

Another dressed up TC IPA, big n malty with a nice bitter hit. This one's a big beer for me at 5.4% - so I'll just be having one before switching down to my SMASH English County.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hop2iT XI.

English style with Maris Otter and UK hops.

No dry hopping but 150g of late hops with a decent bittering addition.

Similar hop schedule to the English Amber I did but the bittering hops were not included.

It is interesting to note how the flavour of the hops appears different when there is a decent base IBU amount.

Good beer.

Litre steins on Saturday for my birthday, contains my Bohemian Pilsner which we drank dry crying but at least there are two other full kegs in there carbonating, and I have a stockpile of bottled beer to drink in the meantime. This had begun to hit its stride too, however it still never got as good as the one brewed with treated water. Gonna brew another batch of it on Saturday, going back to the treated water again, but this time changing up the hops schedule a bit.

12088509_10208185050852569_3226922651810757228_n.jpg?oh=1def7d7020a82c3e5f1a68be9731b0f6&oe=56930C46&__gda__=1452796239_2cdc1f7fbc5b26d80760993e2cd9a003

(Edited to fix the photo and whatever)

I decided to have a sneaky taster of my Mosaic Pale Ale tonight, mainly to see how the carbonation was coming along after 5 days sitting in the keg at around 11-12PSI. Only poured about 50mL to test it but it was so nice I decided to have a full glass. lol Carbonation is coming along nicely, it's probably not quite there yet but I'd guess only a few more days until it is, which is great. Certainly enough to enjoy the beer without it seeming flat. Flavour/aroma wise, it's like a fruit salad. Certainly gives me a good idea of what Mosaic hops bring to a beer, which was the intent of the brew. happy

I did take a picture but I will get a better one on Saturday during the day when I sample a glass on brew day. My phone takes better photos in natural daylight than it does at night. pinched

12141519_10208215105643920_2255753490309563013_n.jpg?oh=e72eefef78a818001d05208055fdef8d&oe=568E3D6A&__gda__=1453152355_cc6ce24b0115a1d7d7448f85dfe12e7c

Cheers

Kelsey

A better photo of the Mosaic Pale Ale from Saturday's brew day samplings. This will be excellent in another couple of weeks I reckon.

Looks fantastic.

Would love the recipe if it isn't your own secret..?

I am thinking of doing my next batch with spring water.

I have been using Brisbane town water and am interested to see the difference.

Looks fantastic.

Would love the recipe if it isn't your own secret..?

I am thinking of doing my next batch with spring water.

I have been using Brisbane town water and am interested to see the difference.

Hey mate' date=' yeah I don't mind, it turned out well so I'm happy to share it. It's meant to be for a 25 litre batch but I only got 22 into the FV due to unintended process changes. [img']pinched[/img] I haven't used spring water for brewing, but the difference it makes depends on its mineral makeup compared to the tap water really. Pretty well everything I've brewed with tap water bar pilsners.

4.500 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.6 EBC) Grain 1 84.9 %

0.500 kg Munich Malt - 10L (23.0 EBC) Grain 2 9.4 %

0.300 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 3 5.7 %

10.00 g Mosaic (11.70 %) - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 4 12.9 IBUs

10.00 g Magnum (12.20 %) - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 11.7 IBUs

20.00 g Mosaic (11.70 %) - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 8.2 IBUs

20.00 g Mosaic (11.70 %) - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 7 5.6 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast

Thank you kindly.

Now all i have to do is conquer my chill haze issues.

Although i don't think i will be able to through my no chill method, as i can only crash chill to roughly 10 degrees (i use a themo cooler for my brew fridge).

Any other tips anyone knows of?

Thank you kindly.

Now all i have to do is conquer my chill haze issues.

Although i don't think i will be able to through my no chill method' date=' as i can only crash chill to roughly 10 degrees (i use a themo cooler for my brew fridge).

Any other tips anyone knows of?[/quote']

No worries cool

Hm, that's an interesting one. I have read of other people who have used gelatine to good effect even though they haven't been able to chill the beer down to near 0C, it just takes a bit longer. I don't know if the same applies to isinglass, although I mainly use that for dropping yeast and Polyclar for chill haze (though the isinglass will help a little with chill haze causing particles).

The only other option I can think of is to add the finings directly to the keg when you put it in the fridge to carbonate it. Plenty do this with success, although you'll probably pour a glass of sludge at the beginning of the keg depending on what fining you use. I prefer isinglass over gelatine because it doesn't seem to make the yeast sediment fluffy like gelatine does.

Cheers John! It certainly is a tasty drop and I also forgot to add that I dry hopped it with 35g of Mosaic after fermentation died down as well.

Cheers

Kelsey

Fugly Saison - great beer, minimal esters.. bright and refreshing.

Session IPA - also great. Late hopped with Calypso, Sticklebract and Galaxy yum, yum

Irish Red - not red but who gives a faaaark when it tastes as intended.

Just cracked open a Brewdog, Dead Pony Club! Wow what a beer.

Orange in color.

Smells as soon as you open the bottle of mango, papaya and some orange.

Tastes like passion fruit, papaya and soft tropical fruits.

It has alittle bitterness at the end that dosn't last.

3.8% ABV

When I go all grain this will be first clone on my list. If you can find one go for it!

Enjoying another Old Ale tonight after a busy day at work. It has been steadily improving over the last few months and is really so tasty now! I have managed to save one 4-pack to age for a bit longer innocent

I just paid 5 tolls from the last trip to Sydney + exorbitant admin fees ... this is helping to cushion the blow crying

Sampling one of my red ales after a week in the keg tonight. This version tastes more like the original recipe. The toffee/caramel sweetness from the Caraaroma that I really enjoy in it is back to how it should present compared to the last batch. I used a 10g charge of Mosaic as a FWH addition in this beer and I can taste its influence in there, not sure it really suits it though. Since I found that 200g or so of Cascade though, the next batch will be back to the original version.

This one turned out at 3.8% ABV in the keg and is full of flavour, now the only challenge will be leaving it alone!

Sampling another Mosaic Pale Ale tonight. It's been in the keg just over 3 weeks now (how it lasted that long I have no idea) and is tasting great! Mostly stonefruit/tropical fruit flavours I'm detecting, too many to narrow them all down individually though. Has also cleared up nicely too. I haven't had too many of these so there's probably still about 2/3 of the keg left, which is excellent, it can age a bit more and also allow me not to run out of beer while waiting to fill more kegs. lol

12187862_10208325052192515_5430881194905079279_n.jpg?oh=c6afd76b9a5a93d8fd7c4f6020489142&oe=5686A7E5&__gda__=1455812033_ef769a01af48bc2afda84ebac9bc115c

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived