Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the Phienna lager Antsi! cool

Everyone loves the chance to brag about anything they are doing well (me included), & the pics of your most recent brews surrounding in particular clarity, well deserve to be presented & praised.

In this department...

ToYouSir.jpg

...Hats off to you sir. cool

Well done Phil. happy

I sure hope you haven't sacrificed too much in flavour for preference of cosmetic appearances? unsure

Cheers,

Lusty.

That does look pretty bloody marvellous.

Lusty, it's probably just the Brewbrite added to the boil doing what it's supposed to do - something which I haven't experienced yet, probably due to not adding enough of it. lol As far as I know Phil doesn't use any other clarifiers though I stand corrected if that isn't the case. cool

Boring I know

Amber 10, a variation on the BeerLust inspired Mosaic Amber Ale.

This would have been a very good beer if I could've gotten the SG to finish a bit lower. It has some residual sweetness, which I'm guessing is true to style for an Amber Ale, but the hops still shine and the malt is enjoyable in small doses (2 beers).

Recipe

2.75 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 59.3 %

0.75 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (7.0 EBC) Grain 2 14.7 %

0.5 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 3 13.1 %

0.30 kg Victory Malt (49.3 EBC) Grain 4 6.5 %

0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 5 3.2 %

0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 6 3.2 %

10.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 14.4 IBUs

10.00 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 5.1 IBUs

10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 5.3 IBUs

10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.9 IBUs

10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 0.6 IBUs

1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 12

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valey Brew

Benny's Big Red Rye.

7% and 61 IBU of rye goodness. Love it. Definitely my favourite own recipe.

Rye is great.

This is big and spicy. Perfect lingering bitterness after a big spicy bitter hit.

Quite a thick brew too.

Good stuff.

I'm reduced to drinking Coopers Original Pale Ale, as my stocks of home-brew have dwindled down to almost nothing (a few ESVA's, a couple of Canadian Blonde's, & finished my real ale & amber ales).

Thankfully I've got a Canadian Blonde made with extra hops & lager yeast about to bottle, & preparing to turn around & start a batch of TC Pilsener once the Blonde is bottled.

At least the pale ale is a decent beer, & not too expensive, whilst not being too much of a wanky "craft/boutique beer" or megaswill.

Not a fan of the run of the mill Aussie beers that substitute OD'ing on POR instead of getting a nice balance of flavour like you get with Coopers brews, & SWMBO would have a stroke if I bought a carton of some micro or craft brew for $50 or more, (some of them are well over $60 per carton!)

You don't have to tell me about. Our cold Canberra correspondent from the city of the rich and famous, mentioned about 6 or 12 months ago how wonderful Moo Brew was. And the following week, I spotted them at Dr Dan's. Nearly put a carton in the trolley until I noticed the stubby carton price: $110.

I still haven't tried one.

You don't have to tell me about. Our cold Canberra correspondent from the city of the rich and famous' date=' mentioned about 6 or 12 months ago how wonderful Moo Brew was. And the following week, I spotted them at Dr Dan's. Nearly put a carton in the trolley until I noticed the stubby carton price: $110.[/quote']

Hey, it's not a cheap exercise fermenting beer in a cow udder! tongue

Seriously, I have tried a couple of their beers, & they are very well made. Maybe forgo a whole carton there Antsi, & treat yourself to a 4 pack or a couple of stubbies sometime. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Tapped the wrong bloody keg. So I am just sampling my 1.7 week old SMASH County FWH Ale. This is bloody nice, Maris and Fuggle just like horse and carriage. Perfect balance but I am going to swap this back into the keg storage fridge, it will be a cracked in another two weeks.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Tapped the right keg, more bubbles and some head. English County FWH, 3.6 weeks bottled. Not my recipe but one I decided on when another brewer referenced this Beersmith Cloud recipe. Described as liquid gold by Beersmith. It's excellent, can't go wrong with these ingredients. I swear I'm getting the malt up front, nutty, backed up by the EKG and a nice bitter finish - encouragement for another mouth full.

Cheer & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew[/]

You don't have to tell me about. Our cold Canberra correspondent from the city of the rich and famous' date=' mentioned about 6 or 12 months ago how wonderful Moo Brew was. And the following week, I spotted them at Dr Dan's. Nearly put a carton in the trolley until I noticed the stubby carton price: $110.[/quote']

Yes, I could only bear buying 2 cartons (the Belgo & the Pale Ale) at the $99 shipped deal I managed to find. The beer was very tasty and the bottles are nice and strong with labels that float off by themself in sodium perc. with barely any glue residue. I have refilled them quite a few times since, so I am gradually clawing my value back happy

In hindsight, it would have been smarter to have bought a couple of cartons of Coopers longnecks but I prefer the smaller bottle size. Of course the best small bottles I have found are the Orval ones, which are super strong and heavy. They must be a blend of glass and Ununoctium or something! Which would explain the price ... I could only bear to buy a 6 pack of those (and savoured every one).

You don't have to tell me about. Our cold Canberra correspondent from the city of the rich and famous' date=' mentioned about 6 or 12 months ago how wonderful Moo Brew was. And the following week, I spotted them at Dr Dan's. Nearly put a carton in the trolley until I noticed the stubby carton price: $110.

I still haven't tried one.[/quote']

Guys

They're no cheaper down here from the bottle shop, yet they are quite competitive with other craft beers when eating out at a bistro, restaurant or at Moorilla itself. I guess they have to fund MONA some how.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Well as per my kegging thread, I am having one or two of my Bohemian Pilsners from the keg tonight. I had a few teething problems with the carbonation, but it seems to have settled itself down now.

Anyway, even at a day in the keg this beer is tasting much nicer than the bottled version. All the flavours I expected from the recipe are there. It tastes much more like a Czech Pils than the bottled batch, which reminds me more of S&W Pacific Ale. unsure It's also a lot less hazy, there is minor yeast haze which I expected, but no chill haze.

I'll pour another glass tomorrow just to make sure it has settled itself down, and if so, I'll then leave it alone to condition longer, drop the yeast out etc. while I finish the bottles off in the meantime.

Tapped my Amarillo Rye Amber Ale fresh wort kit experiment tonight and had a quick sample. It is really good, tastes just like a fresh beer from a good brewpub. Plenty of aroma from the Amarillo dry hop and a spicy, slightly roasty malt flavour with a nice dry finish. Really tasty!

I'm finding it rather hard to resist pouring glasses of beer from this keg at the moment. Its flavour is much more like what I expected from my Bo Pils recipe. Having said that, the bottled version is more and more getting itself towards the flavour I want out of the recipe, although the kegged batch still tastes better. However, now that the carbonation/pouring pressure issues have stabilised, I intend to leave the keg in there while I finish the bottles off, and also adopt the set and forget method for carbonating subsequent kegs that go in.

This is a photo of a glass I poured earlier this arvo. I'm surprised at how much yeast has dropped already. There is no hint of chill haze in this batch; it maintains its appearance through the whole glass. I might pour one once a week to taste test but otherwise it will be left alone.

11902425_10207896198031429_4072333609530947365_n.jpg?oh=678f9012cfada51b19f31f8e01dae3c9&oe=567CF8AF&__gda__=1451517136_9acb1b917d2c5a1862fcdb439dd4d7e7

Cheers

Kelsey

lol I at least have enough self control to make sure I don't get sacked for being pissed on the job. tongue

I imagine everyone goes through this phase when they first start kegging. The novelty of being able to pour your own draught beer at home is pretty awesome, especially from a proper set up. Once the initial novelty wears off though I'm sure I'll be able to leave them sit longer before getting into them properly. tongue

Archived