Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

Oh' date=' my Benny, Benny, Benny, Benny.

You really are an IPA hopping genius. Please take a bow.

You corrected the hopping schedule for a Hop Hog styled beer a month ago, that I wanted to have as a backup for some Chrissy Case Swaps. Now you've thrown all the plans into chaos 'cos it's not a backup anymore -- it's the preferred beer (and I would have been very proud to go with the first choice).

It's only a super early taster that was bottled 8 days ago but it has everything. A very firm base bitterness, superb forward hop (but not overpowering) flavour, and a very inviting aroma.

Thanks for your help, mate. You've really done me proud. Geez, I'm even going to have to keep some of this for that Brownsworthy bastard!

Philby

[/quote']

Hey philby, can you reveal said hop schedule for this one? I'm planning on doing an ipa soon.

Cheers,

Tom

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Valley Pale Ale

love

A little while since I brewed in the American style a nice hop forward brew with my fav hops.

20 litres

60 minute mash at 67'C

5.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)

5.00 g Gypsum (Mash 60.0 mins)

4.00 kg American Ale Malt (Gladfields)

0.20 kg Caraaroma

0.15 kg Wheat, Torrified

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

25.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

25.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 3.0 min

10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min

10.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min

10g Cascade Dry Hop day 9

1.0 pkg American West Coast (Lallemand #BRY-97)

Forgot a critical ingredient, Whirfloc, so I have some chill haze. Damn forgot to add this on the last three brews.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Enjoying a couple of glasses of my Kumquat Hefeweizen after a warm and busy day.

As a rule I hate fruit beers, so I don't know why I keep brewing them. This one's turned out really well though! There's a soft, pillowy mouthfeel despite the low FG (1.007 from memory) but at the same time it is light and refreshing with the citrus flavour from the kumquats. I reckon 500g in 10 litres was just about right in terms of balance. I'm surprised how tasty it is. Still a bit of sulfur though, I've learnt my lesson and am giving the dunkelweizen a few extra days for that to dissipate before bottling.

Speaking of which, I'll be bottling the dunkelweizen on Wednesday night, but actually now I'm curious as to how tasty a straight-up hefeweizen with WLP351 would be. Oh well, I won't find out this time, my Biere de Garde yeast awaits!

Oh well' date=' I won't find out this time, my Biere de Garde yeast awaits![/quote']

It's a good 'un that one.

I have made four so far from that and have another low gravity to harvest on at the moment.

Currently drinking my Big Red Rye.

I love it.

Aside from my IPAs this is easily my favourite beer, rye is great.

Sitting on my deck and drinking my first pale ale, well technically the fruit salad ale from the coopers site - but basically a pale ale. only my 2nd brew and I have to say - not too shabby!

quite pleased with myself

About to brew two more - lightening strike summer ale and amber ale, hope they come put as well

I have a late start tomorrow for work, so am enjoying sampling & drinking a few different brews this afternoon.

1. A PoR hopped extract type Draught using the Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast. I like the yeast, the beer itself is a little bland for my likes but this beer was an experiment in learning. It's carbed high & as Otto man said the other day, it's a good "bloater"! lol

2. An almost all-grain version of the DIY Nelson's Light I brewed for my father, using a variety of left-over grains I had at the time. I kept one longneck for myself to try it & gave the rest to Dad. He reckons it's drinking really well so I'm looking forward to cracking that longneck open shortly. I've said it before, if there is a better light beer recipe out there, I'd like to see it!

Edit: Just drinking this now, & my first little foray into AG brewing has made a lovely beer! happy

3. Just finished a glass of the recent "Helga's Cool Kolsch" I carbed up in a keg. It smelled good once I mixed it all together on brew day, the FG hydrometer sample tasted good, & believe it or not it drinks good too! Really nice & true to style. Impressed with the Canadian Blonde kit & the Helga hops. Would I be fair in suggesting the Canadian Blonde is based around a Cream Ale style? Anyways I'm going to pour a few for my megaswill mates and see what they think. I reckon they'll like it. I just finished mixing together the TC Pilsner kit with some Nottingham + kit yeast, so my mates will get a sample of that too when it's ready, & whatever one they like more will be the staple keg brew for when I have them around. wink

4. A really nice hoppy American style Pale Ale towards the sweeter end. I'm currently playing around with trialing different bittering hops in this style. This one uses Mt. Hood which is one of my favs thus far. I've been drinking this beer from the keg like mothers milk lately. Not many glasses left before this keg blows! sad

Anyways, time for another. biggrin

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Lately I've been drinking one of my most recent brews: Coopers APA which was brewed with 15g Amarillo & 15g Galaxy boiled in 1kg LDM & 5 litres water for 20 mins & 10 mins respectively.

The Amarillo has given it a pronounced citrus flavour, which took me by surprise at first, but once I got used to is is pretty good.

Other than that I've still got 4 bottles left from a Coopers Canadian Blonde, made with 15g Galaxy & 15g Cascade, this time 40 & 20 mins respectively, again with the same amount of malt & water in the boil.

By all accounts the Canadian Blonde seems a better brew, but both quite drinkable.

Most recent batch brewed was the ROTM - Helga's Cool Kolsch, though that's still a week or so from being ready to drink.

Next batch will be another Coopers APA, this time with Cascade & Galaxy, though I've got 500g of BE2 left from the ROTM, which I'll probably throw in to up the A/V a little, as I've got to use it if I don't want to throw it out; I prefer not to waste any ingredients.

Timmy's Best Bitter

88% ESB malt (Gambrinus)

9% Carastan 35L

2.2% Chocolate Malt (colour adjustment)

21 IBU Challenger 60mins

7 IBU Target 60min

2 IBU Fuggle 15min

1.5 IBU EKG 15mins

1.5 IBU EKG 1mins

WLP002

100% RO water

Water treatment for profile Ca: 85 Mg: 9.5 Na: 17.6 SO4:178.8 Cl: 46.3 HCO3: 45.8

OG: 1.044 Mash: 66-68C IBU: 33 ECB:22

I'm drinking this one now and I must say it is a winner. It very drinkable! It has a nice full, malty flavour with a pleasant hop presence. It is as good of an English bitter as I have tasted. Commercial or otherwise.

Maybe it's the Carastan 35Lunsure

Hmm, may be time for a new version of this thread next year. Page loads slowly...

Biere De Garde.

BJCP says a lot below. Nailed it.

I have an amber version and it finished dry and as a result is very high in alcohol.

Probably 9%. Ouch, lovely though. I will have to ensure to not drink much of this too soon.

"Aroma: Prominent malty sweetness, often with a complex, light to moderate toasty character. Some caramelization is acceptable. Low to moderate esters. Little to no hop aroma (may be a bit spicy or herbal). Commercial versions will often have a musty, woodsy, cellar-like character that is difficult to achieve in homebrew. Paler versions will still be malty but will lack richer, deeper aromatics and may have a bit more hops. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Three main variations exist (blond, amber and brown), so color can range from golden blonde to reddishbronze to chestnut brown. Clarity is good to poor, although haze is not unexpected in this type of often unfiltered beer. Well-formed head, generally white to off-white (varies by beer color), supported by high carbonation.

Flavor: Medium to high malt flavor often with a toasty, toffeelike or caramel sweetness. Malt flavors and complexity tend to increase as beer color darkens. Low to moderate esters and alcohol flavors. Medium-low hop bitterness provides some support, but the balance is always tilted toward the malt. The malt flavor lasts into the finish but the finish is medium-dry to dry, never cloying. Alcohol can provide some additional dryness in the finish. Low to no hop flavor, although paler versions can have slightly higher levels of herbal or spicy hop flavor (which can also come from the yeast). Smooth, welllagered character. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-light (lean) body, often with a smooth, silky character. Moderate to high carbonation. Moderate alcohol, but should be very smooth and never hot."

Hmm' date=' may be time for a new version of this thread next year. Page loads slowly...

Biere De Garde ...[/quote']

Only a month and a bit to go ... this thread can make it to the end of the year!

Your Biere De Garde sounds awesome ... can't wait to get stuck into that yeast. Strangely I'm not planning to brew an actual Biere De Garde with it, maybe the Saison can be a pale version? I've got a Dec brew planned, a Jan brew planned, but nothing for Feb, so maybe a nice amber Bier De Garde for winter would be timely. I'll have to search for some Gavroche clones, really enjoyed that beer when I tried it. Definitely won't be aiming for 9% though biggrin

Tonight it's time to bottle the Dunkelweizen ... no time for dinner so having a few pints of my hoppy red lager instead from my Tap-a-Draft. If beer can sustain the monks through their times of fasting it can sustain me through dinner! This has turned into a beautiful drop, cheers for endorsing Centennial as a single hop - it goes well with the BM RedX. Next time I'll do a dry hop as well as all the way through the boil for just that little bit extra aroma.

Cheers,

John

Coopers Original Pale Ale: not much taste, maybe it traveled too far

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA: not much different than the Boston Lager

Brewdog Lager: really boring for Brewdog

Brooklyn East IPA: a very mild IPA, nothing very special

I like buying different bottles because if you don't like it you only have 33cl to finish not 23L.

Two kegs tapped, one a bit early at two weeks. But they highlight the contrast in styles - an American Pale and an English Ale. Citrus hoppiness versus biscuity maltiness.

Gotta love home brewing, what you can do with it and where it can take you.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Having a couple of my leftovers ale from post 731 on the brew day thread. I've learnt to reserve judgement on my beers until I've got through a few. This one's a mid strength and has turned out pretty much how I wanted so pretty stocked about that:) good easy drinking beer to watch the cricket with on a warm brissy night.

btw, Otto you must be famous people stopping you in the street lol

HA so it was you! lol That was pretty random but pretty cool I must say.

I'm enjoying a glass or two of my last Bohemian Pilsner today during a brew day, brewing a red ale and also watching the cricket. This day/night Test cricket is something different but I'm happy to finally see a contest between bat and ball again... the bat-a-thons of the last two games were a little boring.

Anyway, this beer is tasting pretty good after two weeks in the keg but I expect it will improve more after another week or two in line with the previous batches. I won't be brewing another one until I build up a stockpile of kegs so it's nice to have this one to see through some of that period. happy

12301757_10208504373555437_3040398268214539318_n.jpg?oh=b84bb303b68eebfba26524779a3a44fc&oe=56EA9263&__gda__=1458953543_66f6d7573e234b7c4a70d96a1a2d2c4b

Cheers

Kelsey

Got a Hop Gobbler English Bitter; a Darth Weizen; and a Saison on tap.

Loving the English Bitter.

The Extra (Extra) Strong Vintage Ale ROTM i did recently needs to mellow for a while. It almost tastes like a spirit! (I did accidentally put 1kg dex in instead of 500g)

When away from home i've been getting into the Thomas Coopers Celebration Ale. very nice.

Just enjoying a couple of glasses from the keg of my "Facing The Demons Pale Ale".

It carries a bit more malt sweetness than my usual US-05 Pale Ale brews which is actually a nice change, but above everything else I'm really happy the S-04 has fermented the brew well & produced a lovely beer as a result. happy

Well BRY-97, I guess you're on your own! devillol

Cheers,

Lusty.

Glad S-04 turned out well for you Lusty ... and Loch Brewer the Hop Gobbler is still the batch my wife remembers most fondly, it's a good one!

I've been enjoying a few glasses of my Kumquat Hefeweizen on (Tap-a-)draft tonight. Plus my colleague's husband returned my bottles refilled with a SNPA clone and a German pils. Both were really tasty, and the SNPA clone was the spitting image of my memory of a SNPA. I'm going to have to ask him for the recipe! Actually it was nicer than I remember SNPA being, probably because it's nice and fresh.

Cheers,

John

I just kegged an SNPA clone (and bottled the surplus) today John, my third time brewing this recipe. The last two times it turned out pretty much the same as the original too. Old mate's recipe may be similar or even the same as the one I use.

Currently drinking a glass of my last Bo Pils I'll be brewing for a while. This one had a modified hop schedule to my original recipes, with the latest addition being added at 10 mins instead of 20 mins, and the amount increased to keep it at 40ish IBUs. Flavour wise it's not much different but it does appear to have slightly more aroma. This keg still has some room for improvement which more time should see happen. Overall though, I'm pretty pleased with it once again. happy

Cheers

Kelsey

• 2 weeks later...

A 4.5% Amber, late hopped with Citra and Motueka - lovely light fruit aroma, the Caraaroma melds well with the hops.

A 4.5% Pale, late hopped with Centennial and Motueka - lovely sharp bitterness, clean minimla malt, zesty hoppiness.

Good times.

Archived