Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I imagine everyone goes through this phase when they first start kegging.

Yes' date=' beer on tap is great [img']biggrin[/img] Not quite the same as a proper setup, but my first few Tap-a-Draft bottles went pretty quickly! Just too easy (and fun) to open the fridge and pour another pint. My excuse is that they were a bit over-carbed and so I had to pour a few pints to get the froth down innocent

Now I've got the hang of the priming levels a bit better. Priming at the Coopers PET rate of 2 drops per 750ml would be 16 drops per Tap-a-Draft bottle. I started off at 12 per bottle, then dropped to 10, then to 8 and now to 6. 6 is about right I reckon, this amber ale is pouring perfectly.

Yes' date=' beer on tap is great [img']biggrin[/img] Not quite the same as a proper setup, but my first few Tap-a-Draft bottles went pretty quickly! Just too easy (and fun) to open the fridge and pour another pint. My excuse is that they were a bit over-carbed and so I had to pour a few pints to get the froth down innocent

I remember doing that with a Heineken party keg and also the Tap King last year when I was thinking of using it as a pseudo keg. Just so much more convenient than opening bottles and then having to rinse them afterwards, and yeah it is pretty fun pouring your own beer. biggrin

I was almost gonna go through this keg due to its overgassing, just to get rid of it and start again, but I rectified that situation by periodically burping the keg with the gas bottle turned off, and it is now sitting comfortably around the 11PSI mark and pouring fine with no foaming (except the first little bit if it's been left a while). So I'll just leave it be now while I finish the bottles off and try one glass a week to see how it's travelling. cool

Of course, given I'm using a gas bottle to carbonate them, priming is not a concern. I'll bottle the excess beer from each batch but that's easy enough. I'd imagine that whatever you use to get your pouring pressure in the Tap-a-Draft system would have an effect on the carbonation?

A sneaky little tid-bit rarely mentioned with kegging beer is that you can actually add more fermentables into your brews to achieve the same ABV% levels you did when bottling inclusive of the priming added sugars.

It doesn't matter so much when brewing higher ABV beers, but by buggary it is very helpful when wanting a good malt profile in a lower ABV beer. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

That may come in useful if I brew some low ABV beers at some point. Most of mine are around 4.5-5%, and so far I've been pretty happy with the malt profile in them. So with those beers at least I'm not looking to change anything about the malt bills I use in them. Quite happy to lose 0.4% or so ABV given that it isn't really gonna affect the flavour of it.

Of course' date=' given I'm using a gas bottle to carbonate them, priming is not a concern. I'll bottle the excess beer from each batch but that's easy enough. I'd imagine that whatever you use to get your pouring pressure in the Tap-a-Draft system would have an effect on the carbonation? [/quote']

Yes, dispensing pressure comes from a 16g CO2 bulb - one is more than enough to dispense a 6 litre bottle. The tap has two regulators built in that hold a constant 15 psi, so carbonation that began on the low end will slowly creep up over time, which is a drawback. So far in my priming adventures I haven't managed to begin on the low end though pinched ... except maybe for this batch which is pouring well.

I think I'll read the patent to see how it all works ... no wonder the tap cost $68 - there's a lot of engineering in there!

Given I have the day off tomorrow, quite a few things as it happens... wink

Just polished off the last longneck of Kelsey's Red Ale pouty, just blew the keg of a nice APA I've been drinking as my staple diet lately, & blending a few bottles of a slightly failed brew (bitterness-wise) with an accommodating commercial beer.

I might continue on to have a few more as well, because although I don't use L'Oreal products, I agree with their slogan, that "I'm worth it"! biggrin

Enjoy your day at work tomorrow fellas! tongue

Lusty.

Well I couldn't resist a sneaky taster out of the keg during today's brew day. This beer is leaps and bounds ahead of the bottled version in both flavour and appearance. I'm actually starting to think that the screwed up mash on the bottled one is the reason for this because it's the only thing different other than kegging and force carbonating it, and actually having success removing the effing chill haze. The influence of the Saaz hops is really coming through on this one, very prominent, as I had hoped for when I designed the recipe. The yeast has pretty well dropped now as well. Next tasting will be next weekend, as difficult as it is to leave it alone. lol

11926002_10207939797481388_5121801302723091372_n.jpg?oh=30e275488db921d07b9a9b6fb2271b92&oe=5635BA37

Cheers

Kelsey

Have been tucking into the Raspberry Wheat Saison and occasionally a bottle of two of my crack at Otto's Red Ale when I haven't been cheating and drinking commercial craft beers instead.

The Saison is quite drinkable, but missed the mark as far as getting a subtle raspberry flavour into the beer (though I did try some at room temperature and it was obviously much more noticeable).

Maris otter/mosaic SMaSH. My first all grain brew. i used a recipe hairy posted somewhere on here for a citra smash but couldn't get citra so swapped it for mosaic. Tastes amazing. I am now looking forward to trying some different combos.

I know I'm gonna be neck deep in the proverbial in about an hour when SWMBO gets home, but I've had a really crap couple of days, had to take a sample of my current batch in the FV along with doing an SG reading (TC Pilsener with added Saaz hops), but I decided bugger it, feeling crap is one thing, relaxing trying a few brews is another.

I had my last bottle of Boags Premium Lager from the fridge, then popped the top on one of my Coopers Canadian Blonde, made with 1kg LDM, along with added hops & lager yeast, seeing as it's been cool enough for lager brewing, with the assistance of my water bath with ice (see other post for details).

It seemed stupid to open a bottle then let it go flat, so decided to finish the bottle which takes me to my usual permitted drinking level (which is usually only permitted Thurs - Sun) - 3 beers, otherwise known around here as Goldilocks.

The Canadian Blonde Lager is fantastic. It was bottled a bit over 2 weeks ago, was in the FV for 3 weeks, including the third week lagering at somewhere between ambient & about 5 degrees, a couple of weeks ambient, & only a few days in the fridge.

I've stretched or broken a few rules along the way, but it's clearly one of my best brews ever (as stated on a previous post).

Now if I can just hold onto enough of it to see how it matures?!

Meanwhile I have my TC Pilsener with added Saaz in the FV on week 3 - so chilling prior to bottling.

I'm figuring my next batch will be an ale of sorts, & since I've become so besotted with strong hop flavours, more than likely it's time for an IPA.

So it will be bottling & brewing time again next Monday, to build up my drastically depleted stocks; luckily I have ample bottles waiting to be used.

Trying to maintain the fine line between home brewer; sampling my beers to see how they develop, & being somewhat of a connoisseur of good brews, v.s. just a plain old piss pot. Not quite sure I'm maintaining the delicate balance, but goodness I've made some kick arse beer lately!

Trying to maintain the fine line between home brewer; sampling my beers to see how they develop' date=' & being somewhat of a connoisseur of good brews, v.s. just a plain old piss pot. Not quite sure I'm maintaining the delicate balance, but goodness I've made some kick arse beer lately!

[/quote']

Well done Zaphod, it's always good to hear a happy home brewer/drinker enjoying the fruits of their labour. biggrin

Cheers.

The current version of my red IPA is a bit rough. I went all "Ben 10" on it, pushed it too hard and it is way too bitter. I struggle to get through a glass of it.

Tonight I mixed it with a commercial Euro lager and it is now a drinkable IPA.

I have a wheat beer to try with it now but it looks like I may have to make a trip to Aldi for a case of their cheap lager wink

Edit: The wheat beer mix was a bit weird. I will stick to the lager mix.

The current version of my red IPA is a bit rough. I went all "Ben 10" on it' date=' pushed it too hard and it is way too bitter. [/quote']

What is the calculated bitterness?

Send me a bottle, I am sure it is fine. My latest IPA is apparently 65 IBU and beautiful. Dank from the oh so piney Sticklebract... my latest favourite IPA hop.

Enjoying a couple of schooners of my Amarillo rye amber ale after a weekend in the garden. This is such a tasty beer! It's a shame I can't really take the credit for brewing it since it was a fresh wort kit - all I did was top up with water' date=' sprinkle on some US-05 and keep it at 18C.[/quote']

Nice! I'm really looking forward to to my red/amberish ale. But downing a Darth Weizer ATM.

Definately improves with age. I think this is the kit to do if you are a star wars fan - because this will be fricking awesome in a month.unsure

I bottled a St Peters Golden Ale kit on May 2nd. A few weeks later I opened a bottled and put it on the list of not to do again. I have been avoiding drinking them since my ruby red and cascade draught are kegged. I opened one last night and wow! It has aged nicely and rounded off the excess bitterness and the end. I will definitely be doing it again.

Tried a preview bottle of my Oktoberfest tonight. Good news - it's a tasty beer! Rich and malty, but enough bitterness to balance. Not quite carbed yet, but drinking very nicely already. Hopefully in a couple of weeks when the month ticks over they will be good to go!

I can pick out some flavours that also appears in my Bohemian Pils - I'm guessing these are from the Wyeast 2206 in both cases. It is a yeast that definitely leaves plenty of nice malt flavour in a beer.

Speaking of 'malty', this Oktoberfest was 42% pils, 27% Munich & 26% Vienna malt. I can't imagine how rich a 100% Munich beer would taste fermented with this yeast.

Archived