Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

Impressively clear buddy.

ZbZayRD.jpg

that is what I am enjoying. A saison brewed with WY Biere De Garde yeast. Oh what a yeast, very very impressed.

For anyone not into saison this could be the entry point. No esters but this was brewed quite cool.

Will be interested to find out how it goes when pushed, and also how a hoppy saison turns out.

I have one ready to bottle that got down to 1004 which will be around 6.5%... nice!

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A saison brewed with WY Biere De Garde yeast. Oh what a yeast' date=' very very impressed.[/quote']

Good to hear you vouching for this! I've got a smack pack of this in the fridge waiting for summer brewing. Looking forward to giving it a try. I will however be brewing quite warm, then very warm as the summer kicks on.

Last night I was drinking my somewhat recently brewed batch of TC Pilsener, made with 1.7kg ULME & steeped with 15g Saaz.

A few weeks ago I commented that it was a little out of balance, & not quite what I expected, but a couple of weeks extra time in the fridge seems to have resolved this.

I've only got about 3 bottles of this left, so clearly it's not horrible, or I'd not be drinking it!

The next batch I'll be getting into is Canadian Blonde, made with 1kg LDM, boiled with 15g Galaxy (40 mins), 15g Cascade (20 mins).

I've already had some of this to "check that it turned out ok", & it's not bad at all.

It should hold me off whilst my Aussie Pale Ale with malt & hops (similar to above, but with Amarillo & Centennial, with shorter boil) conditions, & hopefully I'll get the ROTM (Helga's Cool Kolsch) done some time soon.

I've been holding off as I've had some problems with tenosynovitis. (http://www.healthline.com/health/tenosynovitis#Overview1), so won't be attempting anything like this until I'm sure I'm not going to make things worse for myself.

Played cricket today, got the job done early some home in good time to Relax Don't Worry Have a Home Brew. Went to the fridge hoping to see a Otto's Squaw Red Ale but to no avail, so I grabbed a CB bitter. You know I don't know why I bottle beer when it tastes so much better on tap. Drank half a glass tipped it and went for a Victory IPA vII. No here's a funny tidbit, I reckon he hop aroma from the Fuggles love and EKG is more prominent when drinking beer outside than it is when consuming inside. I even bought this on inside to prove the theory.

Anyway any new brewers out there get your hands on an IPA can, and anyone moving to all grain via partials have a crack at either of my Victory IPAs, they are the good gear.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Relaxing and not worrying. Sitting on the back Veranda I can see Peppermint Hill ablaze with a bush fire but this Victory IPA of mine comes in at 5.4% - that's A SUPER for me so I'm not worried at all.I just hope the fire brigade are on the jobrightful

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Enjoyed the last couple of stubbies of my all-Cascade midstrength over dinner. Conclusion? A very tasty drop and I'll make something similar again. Although I definitely won't use Wyeast 2565 next time - it does give a nice flavour to the beer but takes forever to drop out. I think I'll use an English ale strain instead.

Tonight I enjoyed a few of my home brews while brewing up a Dunkelweizen:

• Oktoberfest - very tasty, a shame it's my last bottle. Has a very rich malt flavour that I might need to tone down a touch when I brew something similar next winter.
  • Hoppy mid-strength - also my last bottle, very nice Cascade flavour with a hint of hazelnut in the malt, will tone down the IBUs and hops a bit when I brew something similar again.
  • Kumquat hefe - this cheeky taste after a week in the bottle is a bit unfair, but it is shaping up nicely. Still a touch of sulfur to condition out, but much better body and mouthfeel compared to the last hefe I brewed. The kumquat flavour is fairly subtle and gives a nice mouth-watering tang. This will be great for the warm weather to come!
  • Old ale - really so tasty, if the carbonation was a touch lighter it would be perfect.

Early taste of my Big Red Rye. Oh how I have missed you big bitter spicy beer.

I don't know if you've already tried it, but if not you could combine both of your first loves into one beer: rye and saison. I immediatedly thought of you when I saw one scored very highly in its class at this year's Aus Amateur Brewing Championships! Beer for thought?

Just enjoying a schooner of my pale ale from post 683 on the brew day thread. Pretty nice beer, nothing flash but will have no troubles getting through the batch. Only thing I'd change would be to knock back the crystal a bit but otherwise an easy drinking beer.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Ben. smile

Tried a rye saison and didn't get much from it all all rye wise' date=' maybe I'll have to re try[/quote']

Unlike you to be complaining of lack of rye flavour, so I took a look back through your recent listed recipes.

Was it one of these two recent Saison brews of yours? unsure

Dana Saison.

Fugly Saison.

If it is one of those brews, neither has any rye in the grist, both are reasonably low bittered, & neither of the hops used would produce anything notably spicy.

The Saison yeast can only do so much. wink

Perhaps throw some rye malt in the next one! tongue

biggrin

If it's an older brew than I linked to comprising some rye, then I obviously apologise for the references. innocent

Cheers,

Lusty.

Oh, my Benny, Benny, Benny, Benny.

You really are an IPA hopping genius. Please take a bow.

You corrected the hopping schedule for a Hop Hog styled beer a month ago, that I wanted to have as a backup for some Chrissy Case Swaps. Now you've thrown all the plans into chaos 'cos it's not a backup anymore -- it's the preferred beer (and I would have been very proud to go with the first choice).

It's only a super early taster that was bottled 8 days ago but it has everything. A very firm base bitterness, superb forward hop (but not overpowering) flavour, and a very inviting aroma.

Thanks for your help, mate. You've really done me proud. Geez, I'm even going to have to keep some of this for that Brownsworthy bastard!

Philby

AllBlacksHoppyIPA.jpg

Was it one of these two recent Saison brews of yours? unsure

I don't drink that much!

I made it in September 2014... It had 14.7% rye so I should have tasted it.

Sorry' date=' I was using my own turn around time as a guide! [img']lol[/img]

In all seriousness, given the aging time, perhaps the rye mellows considerably?

Unless it's a dark beer, drink 'em fresh I reckon! biggrin

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Oh' date=' my Benny, Benny, Benny, Benny.

You really are an IPA hopping genius. Please take a bow.

[/quote']

Love you Uncle Phil!!

Unless it's a dark beer' date=' drink 'em fresh I reckon! [img']biggrin[/img]

Lust man, you misread my post.

Beer was nailed when it was ready. No beer here would last that long.

Archived