Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

G'day Drinkers' date=' polished off my last Yankee IPA, this continued to deliver right to the last drop, bitter and fruity, Thank's Hairy.[/quote']

No problems mate.

What did I do? Sorry, alcohol has damaged my memory, amongst other things.

This one Hairy. happy

Post #5 by you Hairy....

Cheers.

It looks like Hairy's "channeling" worked a treat! biggrin

Your recipe always looked good Magnaman. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a normal person it wouldn't be possible to lose a large bottle of beer in a small bar fridge for about 7 or 8 months. Today I found what I think is the last bottle from an Oktoberfest batch bottled in mid November '14. It was from my first and only successful bottle bomb experiment and I thnk I lost close 90% of them.

Pouring it initially it was 90% head, but settled down after about 10 mins to allow topping up. Certainly no problem with carbonation! And very very good head retention. But the flavour is just superb; very malty with just the right bitterness so it's not overly sweet. Very nice drinking. smile

Looks like another will be on the cards soon to be kept for next year.

Octoberfest.jpg

Always nice when you unexpectedly find a bottle or batch of beer you brewed a while back. joyful Good stuff P2!

Anyways, as mentioned in another thread, I kegged & fast carbed up the recent Coopers DIY ROTM Hop Slam (AUS) IPA earlier today. Given I've had to resort to drinking commercial beers for the last couple of weeks due to brewing an extended Kolsch brew followed by a true lager fermented brew, this batch has come as a welcome relief, & they are disappearing by the glass at a rapid rate of knots right now I'll tell you! lol

My personal jury is still out on the Topaz hop as this particular brew has some very forward flavours/aromas & it is a little hard to distinguish among the added galaxy & strong flavours from the IPA kit. I'll do an isolation brew with it in a Pale Ale ITNTDF, & will get a better idea of what it really offers flavour/aroma-wise. What I can notice at least, I like. cool

I also did something different from the norm with how I usually dry hop with this brew. My standard practice is to fill suitable sized heat sealed tea bags with my hops for dry hopping. These hop tea bags generally sit near the top of the brew wort throughout the dry hopping phase & I've had a lingering feeling I might be losing some of the impact from the dry hop by the hops not being completely submerged. unsure

Using the chux cloth wrap method as suggested through the Coopers DIY recipes, I can say the weight held by these cloths had it submerge the hops to the bottom of my fermenter throughout this dry hop phase. How beneficial this actually is, again my jury is still out on that one too.

Anyways, my glass is empty, time for a refill. wink

IPA away...

Lusty.

OVB's Squaw Red Ale

From the bottle, 2 longnecks, bottle conditioned for 15.3 weeks. Still with all its original characteristics and the hop flavour is outstanding. I think I am in love with the FWH concept.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Victory IPA

Lovely kit based beer that has only been kegged for 3 weeks (3 weeks in the primary). The Fuggles compliment the biscuit flavours nicely. Malty with a nice touch of bitterness as expected from the Thomas Coopers IPA. I purchased duplicate ingredients for this one so another is on the cards when an FV comes free.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hey that one sounds good Scottie, I'll track that recipe of yours down and attempt to replicate it. happy

Drinking a English Stout made following this English Stout Recipe, oh and I added 300g of Chocolate Malt, but I under carbonated it and now at 6 months in the bottle it is nice but lacks a little, so I have been mixing 50/50 with a Nut Brown Ale this being only carbonated at 2.2 but together I'm getting a nice creamy mouth feel and wonderful flavours and they are not cold. love

Cheers.

The last bottle of my Summer Secret, an Australian pale hopped with Summer and Vic Secret. I was never really happy with this beer; I think the hopping is a bit unbalanced. It hasn't aged well either crying

Oh well, I have my ESB in the fridge and this seems to be improving greatly.

I jumped the gun on this one since it was only bottled 7 days ago. Carbonation is only really starting, but the flavours are just lovely. In no way overpowering, but the influence of the Ella (in amongst the cascade and amarillo) is noticeable. Not as a good as a lager, but crisp and clean. This was one of the Phale Ales (the one finished with Cooper's Ale yeast). I'll crack one with Windsor later for a comparison.

PhaleAle-CoopersYeast.jpg

I jumped the gun on this one since it was only bottled 7 days ago.

Stunning looking beer mate.

Currently drinking an 8.5% 75 IBU IPA late hopped with Eureka and Pekko.

Massive fruit flavour. Great bitterness. Good malty backbone Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caraaroma and Chocolate malts... will take a photo sometime.

G'day Ben' date=' colour in the clusterxxx very good and good carbonation, what level of carbonation do you use in your lagers? [img']wink[/img]

Cheers.

Standard scoop of dex per bottle...

Chad - sounds great....

G'day Ben Disraeli. Or Netanyahu. Or Bill's friend. Or whatever.

I missed those pics of yours over the weekend. Even though I'll vomit all over myself in a second, I have to agree with MonkeyMitts. By the looks, you have absolutely nailed the grain bill for both of those beers. As for the hop bill, unless they are somewhere between 60 and 70 IBU, you'll consider them failures.

But whatever happens, don't tip anything. Let me know the time, and I'll be there to take them off your hands.

BTW, when I got in on Monday, I was too pooped to go shopping, so I dropped in at the local drive-in and got a carton of Coopers Pale Ale. It's hard to believe I've never had this one before. Very easy and pleasant drinking, and very enjoyable.

BTW' date=' when I got in on Monday, I was too pooped to go shopping, so I dropped in at the local drive-in and got a carton of Coopers Pale Ale. It's hard to believe I've never had this one before. Very easy and pleasant drinking, and very enjoyable.

Hey P2, good call for our Spring weather in Brizy. wink

Oh Monday, they would be gone now....surprised

Cheers.

Archived