Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just kegged an SNPA clone (and bottled the surplus) today John' date=' my third time brewing this recipe. The last two times it turned out pretty much the same as the original too. Old mate's recipe may be similar or even the same as the one I use.[/quote']

G'day Kelsey, sorry I missed this one, it's been a bit of a crazy week! I'll have a look at your Brew Day posts and find your SNPA recipe. I caught up with him on Friday and he told me he was recommended the recipe by a friend but had never actually tasted a SNPA! I'll have to buy him some so he can see that it turned out spot on. He's recently gone from a kit and kilo + hop tea to a Grainfather and is really enjoying brewing with it. Looks like a nice bit of gear actually with the malt pipe, pump recirc and counter-flow chiller.

Back OT ... I've been enjoying a few bottles of my Dunkelweizen this week. It's turned out really nicely, not too heavy but a nice malt intensity with some subtle yeast highlights. Very tasty!

That case has gone fast! I've shared some with colleagues at a Christmas party on Friday, friends at a birthday party today and will be sharing the rest with neighbours at a Christmas party tomorrow.

Up early with my 5yr old and clearing up the bottles from my drinking session yesterday afternoon/evening

Cracked a few of the Westside Pale Ale ROTM and the craft Brown Ale I brewed up at the same time - yep, the one I complained about in the thread " a bit disappointed" - well what a difference another week in the bottle makes! - much better this time, better flavour, body, head and mouthfeel. another learning lesson! maybe I should update that thread.

Also tried my summer ale and amber ale I bottled last week - just couldn't wait to see how it was developing - pretty good, another couple of weeks in the bottle and should be great drinking.

Be interesting to see if it's the same recipe John. happy

This picture is from yesterday, my last Bohemian Pilsner for a while, and unfortunately the keg blew dry as well on the next glass. I didn't think that much of it had been had yet but anyway. It was just getting good too - I'm gonna wait until I have a good stockpile of full kegs before brewing another one though, might help to give it more time before tapping it.

12345496_10208604427736729_5748875402124963073_n.jpg?oh=b27eeb297fde9a0ddb6ee677224f0eb4&oe=56DC91EC

So, all this means that I only have one keg in there until next Monday when I keg the IPA. That keg is the SNPA clone, and something went wrong with the carbonation, it had been in there a week at serving pressure and was still flat. I know it's not a gas leak, because if it was then the cylinder would be empty by now. I figured it was the keg lid not sealing properly for some reason so I re-seated it on Friday night, and yesterday it did seem to be more carbonated, so hopefully it's alright. It tastes fine all the same... lol

PB2's kolsch recipe.

Subbed the Helga hops for motueka.

Used Notto @ 14C.

3 pints out of the keg says it's great w00t

Sounds good. Motueka would be nice in a kolsch. I think the 4 Pines (pseudo) Kolsch has Motueka.

Nice avatar. The Ice King should have no problems crash chilling wink

Drinking a few of my SNPA clones tonight (these holidays are seriously going to empty out my beer stocks!!). This is obviously a little darker than the original due to using medium crystal instead of light crystal grains in it but the flavours and aromas are spot on once again. Once the slight yeasty flavour goes away it should be excellent - and then of course the keg will blow dry. lol I might have to wait until I start work again to begin building my stockpile.

The carbonation issue appears to have resolved itself too - this beer is certainly carbonated now, not fully, but it's nowhere near flat like it was on Friday night. I guess it was an issue with the keg lid not sealing properly.

12391819_10208605701248566_8159919548201392361_n.jpg?oh=0046f73a5b5566f766999dbf35981587&oe=56DA32C2

Cheers

Kelsey

Trying a glass of my first ever IPA at the moment. This one came out at 6% ABV in the end. It was kegged and fast carbed about 5 hours ago and unfortunately did pour a bit of foam so probably needs some time to settle down a bit more but overall I'm pretty happy with it. It basically tastes like a stronger version of my Mosaic pale ale, and I think next time I might tinker with the recipe and try out some different hops. I'm happy with the malt bill of 6.5kg MO and 400g medium Crystal.

12360249_10208647838861980_1252427299276802630_n.jpg?oh=cac95671749c7bf8c50f968ea4770e0b&oe=571DD052

Cheers

Kelsey

Might have to try an English IPA at some point myself. Will see how many EKG and Fuggles I have left over after I brew a more "normal" strength English ale on Thursday.

I'm gonna have to resort to buying beer for a little while I think... that IPA is the only keg I have and it's not even really ready to drink yet.

Thanks guys here I was happy to be sipping away a half decent kit &kilo first attempt pale ale and you've just raised the bar !

batches 2 & 3 are nicer but will let them grow up a bit first , looking forward to getting my mouth around the almost sunkissed Weiss and amber ale currently brewing .

Otto once I progress to AG I'll hound you for your SNPA clone recipe as its one of my very favourite beers

Happy drinking

Mark :-)

I'm happy to share it, it was one I found on another forum when I was googling it one day. Apparently it was constructed with help from the SN brewmaster himself, and given how it turns out I wouldn't be surprised. I actually prefer this home brewed version over the original, it seems more balanced and less 'thick' in mouthfeel. Maybe it's just my no-chilling method giving me a bit more bitterness.

In any case, that keg is gone now, as are the bottles that contained the surplus...and still got two weeks of holidays left. The IPA keg will be gone by then too I'd think! lol

Any chance of a kits and bits getting me close ?

Not quite ready to spend the extra time /love / money moving to all grain since even maintaining a stable temp (+/- 1°C ) is beyond my equipment until I buy an extra brewing fridge /temp control .

I've yet to master anything beyond K&K and starting K&B brews so keep it as simple as you can please.

Still so much to learn and kinda looking forward to it

Not quite ready to spend the extra time /love / money moving to all grain since even maintaining a stable temp (+/- 1°C ) is beyond my equipment until I buy an extra brewing fridge /temp control .

I've yet to master anything beyond K&K and starting K&B brews so keep it as simple as you can please.

Possibly depending on the kit used... problem is most of their base flavours wouldn't really suit a SN pale ale type recipe' date=' maybe the OS Draught kit would. You could do an extract version to get closer to it although it would require a 60 minute hop boil. I'll have a play around when I have a bit more time and see if I can whip up something. Most of the character of this beer comes from large late additions of Cascade hops.

When I did have some of this left I did a blind taste test with a bottle of it (keg was already empty) and a bottle of the real deal, and mistakenly picked mine as being the real one. It tasted better to me so I figured it wasn't mine... [img']lol[/img]

Still so much to learn and kinda looking forward to it

K+B Brewer. I love SNPA.

From memory I tried:

OS draft kit

1.5 LLME

300g med crystal (hot steep)

25g Cascade @ 10 min

50g Cascade @ flameout (30+ min steep)

25g Cascade dry

21L

US05

It was a good drop' date=' but a bit sweet. Will brew again, but I might drop the crystal a bit and use DME [img']unsure[/img]

Hope that is of some help.

Cheers,

Dave.

Happy New Years to all.

Otto Von Blotto's Red Ale

Found a longneck in the beer fridge with an R on the lid. Cracked it open and yes it is Otto's Red Ale. Restored my faith in bottled beers, tasted different than the kegged version but I still savoured every drop - The Cascade, being FWH, is still detectable in aroma and taste.

I think it was the last one crying

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Glad to hear that one is still good after that long in the bottle mate. biggrin

I completely forgot to dry hop my batch of it yesterday or today or whenever the hell I was gonna do it... relationship breakups on NYE, when we're supposed to be enjoying a night out, aren't conducive to remembering shit like that...

But anyway, enough about my personal crap... tonight we had a friend of my parents and one of his sons come over to catch up and stay the night. So I figured I would give them a taste of my IPA from the keg. They both really enjoyed it, and me and the son both had about 3 or 4 glasses each from the tap. Good night all round and just what I needed after last night's BS. cool

I caved in last night also an bought cigarettes due to the situation, but that pack is all gone now and not buying more. I did have one tonight with a JD on the rocks in memory of Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead frontman for those who don't know, and one of my favourite bands), who sadly died on the 28th aged 70, so I think I can allow myself that one. Understandably, Motorhead is finished now.

Now just looking forward to the cricket on Sunday...

Cheers you lot \m/

No home brew at the Mo, only one that is drinking and its not really that exciting being a malt driven English and I have an hankering for a hop driven American.

Any way why doesn't my thread break so I can get a 2016 thread unsure

Cheers, Beers and happy New Year's

Scottie

Valley Brew

Glad to hear that one is still good after that long in the bottle mate. biggrin

I completely forgot to dry hop my batch of it yesterday or today or whenever the hell I was gonna do it... Cheers you lot \m/

Yes it was a lucky break' date=' I will be doing a 2016 version in the next two months for sure. I loved the FWH Cascades and the spec malt and MO always hits the spot.

Hoping 2016 is more rewarding for you on the relationship front.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Archived