Coopers Community

What was your best home brew in 2023?

A bit similar to @Aussiekraut's topic What's the favourite beer you make.  Except mine is about 2023 and your best may not be your favourite.

For me, it is a bit of a 4-way tie.  Plus almost identical to my favourite beers to make:

I scored all of these brews 9/10.  Click on the recipe name for a link to my tasting notes and follow the links back to the recipe if you want. 

If I had to pick one, it would be the COPA.  Just such a nice brew and so close to the genuine article.

• Like 5

Maybe Red IPA as I mentioned earlier in a different thread or the Aussie Lager but I enjoy them all cause they are all different styles so I enjoy them for what they are! My least favourite was the Brown Porter I made, I think it was the London Ale yeast which I didn’t really like as it gave a taste aroma I didn’t like. It was meant to give oak notes which I didn’t get or I just don’t like oak! It overpowered the malt I used S04 previously much nicer which let the malt sing!

• Like 5

I don't know which one might be best. The ones that stood out were probably the Vienna Lager and the Märzen. But the one I am the happiest about is probably the last batch of mid-strength pale ale. I think it turned out very nicely, with a good body, nice fruity hop notes, good head retention and a very good balance. If there is a "best", it probably is it. 

• Like 5

Mine would be either the Coopers Barley Crush or the Eclipse/Galaxy APA. I enjoyed the whole 23L of the APA, I have only had a couple bottles of the Barley Crush (ages for 10 months or so) but it was excellent!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Not my recipe but was a beauty. It was also the one that I lost half a keg of! Wanna do more similar brews, sometimes hop wise less is more. 

Screenshot_20240106-203111_Gallery.jpg

I spoke to him about that one and now I've dipped my toes into AG this is one I'm going to brew and yes by all reports it's a ripper

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

I spoke to him about that one and now I've dipped my toes into AG this is one I'm going to brew and yes by all reports it's a ripper

Yep its a beauty, like @PaleManmentioned I'm also gonna brew more traditional ales moving forward. 

• Like 4

On 1/5/2024 at 8:58 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

A bit similar to @Aussiekraut's topic What's the favourite beer you make.  Except mine is about 2023 and your best may not be your favourite.

For me, it is a bit of a 4-way tie.  Plus almost identical to my favourite beers to make:

I scored all of these brews 9/10.  Click on the recipe name for a link to my tasting notes and follow the links back to the recipe if you want. 

If I had to pick one, it would be the COPA.  Just such a nice brew and so close to the genuine article.

When you brewed your Sparkling @Shamus O'Sean  how many bottles of Pale Ale did you culture from?

29 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

When you brewed your Sparkling @Shamus O'Sean  how many bottles of Pale Ale did you culture from?

Hey PM, For the Sparkling, I harvested the yeast from a previous Coopers Original Ale done with the Coopers Commercial Ale yeast.  So it had plenty of yeast.  The yeast for the COPA was harvested from a batch of Coopers 2022 Vintage Ale.  For the 2022 Vintage, I harvested the yeast from 6 stubbies, but did a 2-Step starter to make sure it had plenty of yeast.

I have done previous Vintage Ale's with just the 6 stubbies and culturing as per the Coopers video.  Although they fermented slowly, they eventually finished with low final gravities.

I assume that doing a culture from 6 stubbies gets you about 200 billion yeast cells.  A 23 litre batch of Sparkling Ale, with an OG of around 1.055, is best to have 250 billion yeast cells pitched in it.  I suggest harvesting from 8 stubbies and doing a culture will give you a bit more than enough cells.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2024 at 11:25 PM, Tricky Micky said:

Gotta say Al's @iBooz2 AG COPA recipe - my first and one and only all grain brew was an absolute pearler. Just a beautiful beer. My favourite so far. And I am partial 🤭 to the TC Preachers Hefe extract recipe. 

I’m with @Tricky Micky on @iBooz2’s COPA, as well as @kmar92 ‘s version. Best AG by a country mile, my neighbour and his son say so too. I reckon 6 weeks in the bottle or 4 in the keg is the sweet spot.

I wanted to “master” a Duvel clone, bit they’re consistently too sweet . I’m taking a step back as they’re too bloody strong too 😵

For the Coopers kits,  Regency Red is a blinder, as well as the Saison , and also Ashes Ale. I like the Vintages too 👍

At the risk of brown-nosing, I haven’t had a bad one from a kit.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

At the risk of brown-nosing, I haven’t had a bad one from a kit.

You're obviously shamelessly after some freebies there Sainter @stquinto 😆 - count me in. Frank you there? 🤣

Seriously though that COPA Al @iBooz2 does is an absolute ripping beer. I have been doing a lot of the Preachers Coopers kit lately and gotta say at about 3-4 weeks in the keg it's singing. Got a cuppla FWK's in the kegs at the same time and the Hefe wins hands down. I will have a crack at the Regency Red,  as well as the Saison. 

I will be in touch with our brewing friend @kmar92, and see if he'll part with his COPA recipe as well. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey PM, For the Sparkling, I harvested the yeast from a previous Coopers Original Ale done with the Coopers Commercial Ale yeast.  So it had plenty of yeast.  The yeast for the COPA was harvested from a batch of Coopers 2022 Vintage Ale.  For the 2022 Vintage, I harvested the yeast from 6 stubbies, but did a 2-Step starter to make sure it had plenty of yeast.

I have done previous Vintage Ale's with just the 6 stubbies and culturing as per the Coopers video.  Although they fermented slowly, they eventually finished with low final gravities.

I assume that doing a culture from 6 stubbies gets you about 200 billion yeast cells.  A 23 litre batch of Sparkling Ale, with an OG of around 1.055, is best to have 250 billion yeast cells pitched in it.  I suggest harvesting from 8 stubbies and doing a culture will give you a bit more than enough cells.

So Shamus @Shamus O'Sean, what you're effectively saying is someone has to take a bullet and drink 8 Coopers Sparkling Ale in a mad rush. 🥳 Geez the heavy lifting we have to endure.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

someone has to take a bullet and drink 8 Coopers Sparkling Ale in a mad rush

That's one option.  Or:

• Share the lifting with a friend or two
  • Drink a couple a night, recap the dregs in each bottle, and put them back in the fridge until you are ready to make the yeast culture
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That's one option.  Or:

• Share the lifting with a friend or two
  • Drink a couple a night, recap the dregs in each bottle, and put them back in the fridge until you are ready to make the yeast culture

Party pooper. 😂

• Haha 3

On 1/7/2024 at 6:12 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I assume that doing a culture from 6 stubbies gets you about 200 billion yeast cells. 

How do you manage to count them all? I tend to lose count after about 5 or 6 billion.😆

• Haha 7

Can't complain about any of them all beautiful. I reckon the pick though would be an All Grain Stout that tasted very similar to Coopers I brewed. It was a cracker. I wasn't trying to clone it just turned out that way.

• Like 4

Lucky 13, the Irish Red Ale. I blame the yeast (Wyeast 1084, the only time I've used a liquid yeast so far). They say brewers make wort, yeast makes beer. I can't argue with that.

• Like 3