Coopers Community

What's the favourite beer you make

What's the favourite beer you make?

For me, it is hard to tell. I used to like beers and made lots of them but then grew a little tired of them. I am not big on clones, so I usually stay away from them. It's hard to make a real clone because you don't have access to the recipe or the yeast and if you do, there is always something crucial missing, like hop schedules in case of BrewDog for example. I like to brew more traditional styles but at the same time, love to experiment and move outside of style guides. I don't care too much about what others think. I like what I like and I brew for me and not them. Some of those experiments turn out really good and I have some I brew fairly often. 

Based on that, it is really hard to pick something as everything is in flux. The most often brewed beers last year would probably be:

"Ein Helles", a Munich style Helles Lager
My take on a Märzen I have no name for yet
"Clayton's Lager", the lager you're having, when not having a lager, because it's brewed with MJ M54 and not a lager yeast.

If you ask me again next year, you may see a very different list 🙂 

What are your go-to beers?

• Like 8

I tend to brew a variety of beers, just clocked over 200 batches.  There are not too many that I would call "go to" brews.  Having said that, there are six brews that I probably have done or are about to do my third batch of.  Unlike @Aussiekraut, these are all clones of commercial beers too.  Other than these and a few others, every beer is different.

• Coopers Original Pale Ale
  • Coopers Sparkling Ale
  • Modus Operandi Former Tenant Red IPA
  • Modus Operandi Russian Imperial Stout
  • Hoegaarden
  • Bent Spoke Crank Shaft IPA
  • Like 6

Over two years of making home brews, I have tried eight different Coopers extracts. These were Aust. Pale Ale, Brew A IPA, ROTM Old Town Lager, Sparkling Ale, 86 Day Pilsner, Gold Crown Lager, Hefe Wheat, and a Bootmaker Pale Ale. I am still to try the Bootmaker on 15th Jan, but my standout favourite extract is the Aust. Pale Ale. Next few brews will be Aust. Pale Ales with tweaking of hops and malt.

• Like 7

Mine is defo COPA, all grain. I still like to make the Coopers recipes, they’re done in a fraction of the time and they are awesome too. 
My other “Holy Grail ” would be Duvel, and an English ale like Landlord. They’re both works in progress

I like the flexibility of Pale Ales regarding fermentation temperature and not faffing around too much. A blank canvas to work on so to speak

• Like 6

Pilsner is easily my favourite to brew and drink. Apart from loving the style itself, it is a great feeling to get it right and have it taste great. Pale ales and things can hide things behind the big hop hit but these beers aren't like that. 

In saying that pale ales are also one of my favourite styles but I don't really have a go to recipe with those as I change up the hops a bit. Vic secret is probably my favourite to use in them. 

• Like 6

Mine would be Red IPA, just love how the malt gives complexity mixed with the bitterness/aroma/flavour of the hops and the hazy red hue🤤

My most brewed beer this year would be an Aussie lager strangely enough(my mates favourite) I get great pride out of making it as Otto said there is nowhere to hide with a lager/pilsner and it’s what I imagined beer would of tasted like on tap in the 70’s 80’s!

But I love all my beer! It’s an amazing hobby and enjoy making the different styles! 

IMG_1466.jpeg

IMG_6169.jpeg

• Like 7