Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

Amber Ale.  I usually use Amarillo hops with this recipe but I some Superdelic in the freezer.  Nice enough, but the Amarillo version is better: 

IMG_20240419_164352.jpg

PS - as some of you will have discovered, taking photos of a cold beer is quite a challenge as the glass frosts up so quickly!  I had to keep wiping this one down with a tissue while I was getting myself organised!

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 9
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

had to keep wiping this one down with a tissue while I was getting myself organised!

Beer looks great - your sentence is open to all sorts of interpretation

• Haha 5

And now I’m inside cooking a beer and beef stew, so had to crack a darker one. Such a shame 😆
ESB sorta thingy. About 18 months in the bottle this one!

IMG_4924.thumb.jpeg.b84f17c1a70403c3fd215bf37be7124d.jpeg

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 13

Last of my Duvel clone. The sweetness pretty much totally disappeared, I reckon a 6 month aging is the way to go.

Also a KnK IPA (Return of the Red),  and an Old Perc AG.

IMG_2631.jpeg

IMG_2640.jpeg

IMG_2630.jpeg

• Like 10

Now an Orval clone. Bottled 8/05/22. Wow! Pretty mouth-puckeringly sour 😦

You wouldn’t count this as a session beer, that’s for sure! Still, not a tipper, more a sipper….

Oh the poetry, I amaze myself… I know, I should get out more

IMG_2647.jpeg

IMG_2649.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Fedaykin409 said:

An early pour of the 'aztec gold' recipe. 🙂

would have almost preferred a bit more ABV. But it's not bad. 

I can see this batch disappearing pretty quick. 🙂

PXL_20240421_053745947.jpg

Congratulations on the clarity

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is the Helles I brewed under pressure at ambient using M54, then keg fined and re-kegged into a fresh keg without the dropped out stuff in it. Well, it is a little heady,  o where near as clear as I would like it to be but tastes alright. Not as I like it but not bad either. My regular helles is called “Ein Helles”, so a helles, whereas this one is called “kein Helles” as in no helles 😀 Not my best work but great as a keg filler.

IMG_0139.thumb.jpeg.1f863e77f6e191918e69007675fef258.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

This was a sneak peek of the Barley Wine I made. It's only been in the bottle for a little over 2 weeks and has a long maturing period ahead of it but boy is it tasty. It has a very rich, deep red colour and a nice dark head, although the latter doesn't stick around for very long yet. It is very sweet, in parts, because it didn't ferment all the way down to 1.030 but stopped at about 1.040, despite re-pitching more yeast from a starter. So it came in at just a smidge over 10% in the bottle. It is very malty, with hints of raisins and what I believe is best described as dried apricot. The bitterness is there but very subdued because of the maltiness. The alcohol is obviously present but it doesn't have a sting, so it is pretty rounded. It is so rich, it actually coats the glass on the inside. I'm looking forward to it in a few months. I hope I can keep a few bottles for a few years. That would be great. Brewing it was a shocker. My batch volume and the amount of grain are hard to get to work nicely and the thermal dramas with the BZ didn't help. I spent almost 9 hours on that one brew, from milling the grain to cleaning up. Next time I do a "super heavy", I'll opt for a reiterated mash. 10kg of grain is great if you brew 47l batches but is a problem with 20l. 

No, the glass is not broken, that's an artefact of the "Portrait" setting 🙂 

image.thumb.jpeg.1ed534480ba437deb632601e3187aa84.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 10

2nd keg of my rye ale.

This part was fermented with Verdant and tastes quite different to the Nottingham fermented version. Just 8 days in the keg and no finings were used, just a floating offtake in the keg. I am impressed with the clarity, considering it had 15% rye in the grist, it is a lovely beer 😜

2595e.jpg

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, kmar92 said:

2nd keg of my rye ale.

This part was fermented with Verdant and tastes quite different to the Nottingham fermented version. Just 8 days in the keg and no finings were used, just a floating offtake in the keg. I am impressed with the clarity, considering it had 15% rye in the grist, it is a lovely beer 😜

2595e.jpg

Verdant brings some nice fruity flavours along. I like Verdant. It's also a workhorse and rips through wort quite quickly with reasonable attenuation. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Verdant brings some nice fruity flavours along. I like Verdant. It's also a workhorse and rips through wort quite quickly with reasonable attenuation. 

Absolutely AK I have now decided I'm going to use Verdant for pretty well everything now except for stouts where I'll use Nottingham to give a dryer finish 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Absolutely AK I have now decided I'm going to use Verdant for pretty well everything now except for stouts where I'll use Nottingham to give a dryer finish 

Yeah, not sure I would like a stout made with Verdant. Then again, a Black Forest Cheesecake Pastry Stout might go well with the fruity Verdant flavours 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2