Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Awesome, Shamus, looks pretty close to me. Nice head on two of them. 🤣

Botanic poured first into a plain glass.  Sparkling poured second into a nucleated glass.  My Sparkling poured last, just before pic taken.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I figured that, Botanic is great, don't you reckon.

100%.  I was very sceptical when I saw the can design and name.  However, it turned out great.  As good, if not better, than any similar strength craft beer.

• Like 4

Super Juicy Nectaron Hazy IIIPA.  This is a glass from the keg.  Previous "what are you drinking" post was from a bottle.

• Bright pineapple and citrus aroma
  • Malty flavour with a slight alcohol note, not surprising at 10.2%.  Plus peaches and pineapple flavours
  • Bitterness is well balanced (supposed to be 80 IBU - 354g of hops - All Nectaron - 184g in the boil and hopstand - 170g dry hop)
  • So easy to drink
  • The rest of the keg is for my brother-in-law.  I had to do a taste-test to make sure it isn't a dud.  I think he'll love it.

IMG_4339.thumb.JPG.a581ad9691247da19674ea595dd998a7.JPG

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

Wai-Iti NZ Pilsner. Brewed using 5kg Weyermann Extra Pale Premium Pilsner malt and a dash of Carapils for head retention. Bittering hops were a goodly amount of Saaz and it was fermented with Diamond Lager yeast. From day 4 it was dry hopped for 4 days using 100g Wai-Iti hops.

The colour and clarity are great and the light body approach makes it an easy drinker. The hops are tasty and give the beer a fresh aroma and fruity flavours. However besides a hint of citrus, I cannot discern what fruit I taste, just that it is there. The beer has a sweet an malty flavour but this is as little overpowered by the hops. For a Pilsner, I’d have expected more bitterness but despite 37IBU and a BU/GU ratio of 0.8, it doesn’t show. So the whole thing isn’t quite working. Wai-Iti is completely overpowering. 

It’s not a bad beer by any means but not a favourite either. It’s only been in the keg for 2 weeks and will improve a bit. Will I make it again? Probably not, at least not in its current form. Maybe less Wai-Iti for the dry hop may be an option. I think those hops are best left to ales. Keep the lagers clean. 

IMG_0073.thumb.jpeg.9cd2206405fd668ca6e638d4df5a4e8b.jpeg

• Like 9

Ein Helles. As the name suggests, a Munich Helles style beer. This is always a crowd pleaser, me being the crowd 😀 I tried a few recipes but always come back to mine. Mostly Weyermann Extra Pale Premium Pilsner, some Munich for colour and maltiness and a tad of CaraHell. Hops are Hallertauer mf and Hersbrucker, yeast is the one and only W34/70, nothing less will do. The Keg is almost gone but clever me has two freshly brewed cubes sitting there, ready to rumble 😀 

IMG_0074.thumb.jpeg.55a646d084c9909ccdb62c530fd59bb9.jpeg

• Like 10

This afternoon I'm having another Coopers APA that I brewed with Lager yeast.

@Malter White you started something here.

Late hopped with Saaz & Citra. It really is very nice.

I'll be making another one of these shortly. Using the same yeast but probably with different hops.

IMG20240407161513.jpg

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, Graculus said:

I'll be making another one of these shortly. Using the same yeast but probably with different hops.

IMG20240407161513.jpg

What yeast did you use?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

What yeast did you use?

Saflager 34/70.

It was a yeast that I harvested from a FWK I brewed a few weeks ago.
I would have used the Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast but the HBS didn't have any.

I just brewed the APA as I would a lager. It came out very crisp and clean.
I will make it again, but use different hops. The reason I'm using different hops is because I have a couple of brews lined up and I've ordered hops, so I'll just use whatever is left.

I gave a couple of bottles to a bloke in work who recently gave up home brewing due to downsizing. He thinks it's great too.
He asked if there was any left.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Graculus said:

IMG20240407161513.jpg

Thanks for the reminder, Graculus. I haven't done one of these for a few months because of the hot weather but now the weather is cooling down I reckon this could be the next one I do.

• Like 5

My photographic skills decrease, but luckily my brewing skills improve. (At least I hope so). My weekend nourishments were my take on the ROTM That’s Amore Pilsner , ROTM  Coopers Lager and a 7 month old Stout. Very happy with all of them.

IMG_0774.jpeg

IMG_0776.jpeg

IMG_0777.jpeg

• Like 10

Two recipes from the site, Australian IPA and a Return of the Red IPA. Very happy with them, both bottled. 
These were the notes I took:

28/01/24
Australian IPA
CC yeast
1.060 >> 1.010 (6.56%)
23l
Day 3 > 30g each Eclipse/Vic Secret
(5 days)
Kegged 17/02/24
Bottled 03/03/24 (FG 1.006 > 7.60% adjusted)
Duvel bottles, gold top

28/01/24
Return of the Red IPA
Amber can instead of Sparkling
Nottingham 
22l
Kegged 10l
Bottled 09/03/24 (FV 1.010 > 6.30% adjusted)
Duvel bottles, pink top

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2559.jpeg

• Like 11

A Holly Haze IPA to finish off. I had kegged a 10l keg from each one before bottling, and this one seemed a bit grassy. The bottle was just fine though.

Great recipes, definitely do all three again 👍

Holly Haze
1.3kg LDM instead of LME
1.055 >> 1.014 (5.4%)
20l
Day 5 > 25g El Dorado
(5 days)
Kegged 10l 15/02/24
Bottled 09/04/24 (FV 1.010 > 6.4% adjusted)
Duvel bottles, white top

IMG_2562.jpeg

• Like 9

First bottle of an Old Peculier AG clone. One month in the bottle. Not too much funkiness for only a month conditioning, at 6.3% ( including the carb drop). Inna month it’ll be perfect, and pretty decent already IMHO.

Easily pleased, me 😃

IMG_2580.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Forgot photo
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Yeah, that's the way I feel about my own ones. And a damned sight cheaper... 

+2 love my and breaks my heart when I go out with friends/family and pay 13-14 buck for a pint! I say I can nearly make a whole batch for this 🥲

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, RDT2 said:

+2 love my and breaks my heart when I go out with friends/family and pay 13-14 buck for a pint! I say I can nearly make a whole batch for this 🥲

Love my beer 🍺 it’s meant to say🤣

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Superdelic Pale Ale. Coopers Premium Malt, Munich and a little wheat for good measure. The single hop is Superdelic, used as a 30, 20 and 5 minute addition as well as 50g for dry hopping. I’m not sure about the aromas. It seems a little indiscernible to me. I can smell but not tell if you know what I mean. The flavours are good but there is a lot going on. It is hard to pick up distinct flavours as they all seem to meld into one. It is tasty but because I can’t tell the flavours apart, it makes it hard to pick. It works with the malty character of the grains used but both combined drown out the bitterness I expected. Again, this was just a beer to showcase the hops but maybe I need to stick to SMaSH brews to showcase hops, so there is less distraction. The beer itself is clear a/f and certainly very pleasing to the eye, especially my newly restored 20/20 vision 😀

IMG_0085.thumb.jpeg.cc4de000961385cc60b832fc287201fe.jpeg

• Like 11